28 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

Between those late-season Blackhawks games, father's day, some other gatherings and then family in town the last 2 weekends, my kegs are floating and I have not brewed in awhile. Today I'm doing something that I'm not sure I have ever done... racking a beer directly from primary to a keg. I know this is business-as-usual for most of you guys but not me. The only other beer I have in secondary at the moment is a helles/pilsner kind of thing and 2 or 3 kegs in my spare fridge are the same style so I don't really want to keg that one. The one I'm kegging is the RedX Red Ale with Mandarina Bavaria that I brewed on 7/2. I better find some time to make more beer! Cheers Beerheads.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

Between those late-season Blackhawks games, father's day, some other gatherings and then family in town the last 2 weekends, my kegs are floating and I have not brewed in awhile. Today I'm doing something that I'm not sure I have ever done... racking a beer directly from primary to a keg. I know this is business-as-usual for most of you guys but not me. The only other beer I have in secondary at the moment is a helles/pilsner kind of thing and 2 or 3 kegs in my spare fridge are the same style so I don't really want to keg that one. The one I'm kegging is the RedX Red Ale with Mandarina Bavaria that I brewed on 7/2. I better find some time to make more beer! Cheers Beerheads.

It will be fresh. It will be good. That was an interesting recipe IIRC so let us know how it came out.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

My original plan was to dry hop this beer with 1 ounce of the MB but I'm going to bypass that. I do have one other beer here (a pale ale) that I need to dry hop. It was a nutty pale ale with a lot of different 'clean' hops in it. For the dry hop I have some Glacier and Saphir set aside and I think I'll use this last ounce of MB and add that to the already-wild mix. I have another keg that will probably be going belly up here in the next week so I'm adding those hops to that pale ale today or tomorrow. I'll try to get a shot of the Red Ale when it's ready. IIRC, the color was crazy-deep red.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

My original plan was to dry hop this beer with 1 ounce of the MB but I'm going to bypass that. I do have one other beer here (a pale ale) that I need to dry hop. It was a nutty pale ale with a lot of different 'clean' hops in it. For the dry hop I have some Glacier and Saphir set aside and I think I'll use this last ounce of MB and add that to the already-wild mix. I have another keg that will probably be going belly up here in the next week so I'm adding those hops to that pale ale today or tomorrow. I'll try to get a shot of the Red Ale when it's ready. IIRC, the color was crazy-deep red.

The english summer ale I made with a good dose of Glacier turned out really well. I like that hop… mellow pleasant citrus, apricot aroma just a hint of earthiness.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

The english summer ale I made with a good dose of Glacier turned out really well. I like that hop… mellow pleasant citrus, apricot aroma just a hint of earthiness.

That's good to know because it's been awhile since I used it (like a loooong while) so I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes across in this beer.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

I try to keep some around myself, also, I have a some growing on my southwest corner of the house.

good hop, I does the job it was bred for, an good American grown Brit style hop

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

good hop, I does the job it was bred for, an good American grown Brit style hop

Agree nice blend of american and brit flavor. Blended with much smaller quantity of Amarillo in that beer and it is very bright and summer-y.

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:13 AM

Sounds like you and I are pulling oars in the same boat.

I've only got 1 beer on tap right now :covreyes: but reinforcements are on the way: an English IPA that I will keg tomorrow, and a red ale (based on your Home Run Red) to follow.

I need to step my production, pronto.  NFL training camp opens Friday, which means the regular season isn't far away.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

I should pick some glacier up some time.  I have fond memories of an extract beer I made that used glacier and cascade that was really good.

#10 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

I've got no beers on tap. Two in production and one planned for next weekend. All will be wiped out at Mashout.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

4 beers on tap and none ready to go.  Hope to change that this weekend and get something in a carboy.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

It's kind of a perfect storm... very busy with work, lots of things going on with the immediate family and extended family and then the weather has been warm here over the past week which is just suppressing my desire to brew. I have had water filtered and grains measured out for a batch of Bordertown Dark Lager for close to 2 weeks and I haven't made it yet.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

1 on tap. 2 in the pipeline. Several more in planning.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

1 on tap. 2 in the pipeline. Several more in planning.

I always have several in planning.  The execution is getting hard though.

#15 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

Same here.  A lot of drinking but the six weeks I took off earlier this Summer is catching up with me.  I've only got Oatmeal Cookie Stout, and a keg of Cream Ale (that a pint or two away from blowing) on tap.  But again, reinforcements are on the way in my Saison and a 10 gallon batch of dry-hopped MLPA.  Going to be brewing Oktoberfest and a Brown Ale in the next few weeks as well.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

Consumption is consistent.  Production exists.

First batch in 18 months is ready to drink in bottles, second batch is ready to drink in the keg.  Batch #3 and #4 are ready for transfer to kegs.  It'll take me a while to get through all four batches.  I may do one or two more by the end of the summer.  I should probably start on my fall beers.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

1.5 kegs currently pouring, 5 gallons to be kegged Saturday and a 10 gallon batch of Saison on deck to be brewed Saturday.  Ahead of my typical curve but this can change with one good neighbor session.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Right now I have 12 kegs at various levels of fullness.  about half of those are pairs of kegs with the same beer though so I don't have 12 different beverages on tap.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

That's a lot of beer Sir

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen