Photo
- - - - -

Surprisingly quick start to fermentation...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

I have been working with this blob of 940 Mexican lager yeast. On 6/26, I made the third beer with this yeast (Cabana Lager) so that primary was sitting in the fridge for about 35 days. Yesterday I made another batch of Bordertown Mexican Dark Lager with it, oxygenated the wort well and pitched around 250ml of the harvested slurry (according to MrMalty) and that was around 1pm yesterday. Sometime around the start of the Cubs game (6pm) I went in there, opened the fridge and just gave the primary a little swirl to get things moving and there was a boatload of airlock activity already. Some of you might make a starter for yeast that hadn't been used in over a month but I typically don't. But takeoff is usually a little more sluggish than this. Not sure if I just had favorable conditions but I'm not complaining! Cheers.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64048 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:21 PM

You sure it was fermentation or just airlock bubbling from swirling/temp change/etc.? 5 hrs is really fast, especially for a dormant slurry. I've seen 8 hrs when pitching a big active starter, but it's usually 12-18 even with a hefty starter to see significant airlock activity. When i pitch without a starter (rare) it seems like it's usually more like 18-24hrs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users