Photo
- - - - -

It's getting to be that time of year again...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

Caramunich from the weyermann website describes it as "increased fullness, heightened malt aroma, full round flavor, deep saturated color".

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Caramunich from the weyermann website describes it as "increased fullness, heightened malt aroma, full round flavor, deep saturated color".

I've always just used either a lot of light munich (50%) or a lesser amount of dark munich and that was always malty enough for me.  I'm surprised with what you have listed there that it's not malty enough for you.

#43 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

I just don't get that.  I never want anything resembling cara anything coming through in my o'fest.  do you get that in imported marzens?

It seems common in domestic Oktoberfests. I don't think it belongs in the classic style, but a lot of people seem to like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Not my thing, though.

#44 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

It seems common in domestic Oktoberfests. I don't think it belongs in the classic style, but a lot of people seem to like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Not my thing, though.

See, SA is an extreme example IMO. Mine certainly isn't to that extreme. When I say I want to tweak mine I'm talking like 0.5% difference.

I'm drinking SNBC oktoberfest bier and I gave it a bad review before. I'm liking it a lot more now. I think when I got it last time it was too young.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

A couple of the beers I had at the fest had a sweetness that I would atribute to something like caramunich.

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

I don't buy much Oktoberfest but the ones I have enjoyed most are Ayinger's and New Glarus Staghorn. Both are excellent IMO.

Enjoying my one and probably only bottle of this tonight. Such an excellent beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users