#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

Please pardon the name as I'm sure I'm not describing it correctly. I'm seeking a link to a glycol fermenter that can hold 1/2 bbl. I've looked around but can't find a setup that includes all the necessary components. Anyone?

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

morebeer.com sells them, IIRC.  Like $3k-ish?

ETA:  Just checked, it looks like they have glycol systems, but not a pre-packaged glycol jacketed fermenter.  I thought they had a glycol jacketed MoreBeer conical but it looks like their cooled system is using a different kind of chilling method.

Edited by JKor, 04 August 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

httpss://www.brewershardware.com/Conical-Fermentors/

My buddy got the 20 gallon and loved it so much he bought a second.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

Here's one:

httpss://www.brewershardware.com/20-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Glycol-Jacketed-Conical-Fermentor.html

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

You can make your own glycol unit either using a wall AC unit that is gutted or with a freezer some insulated line and a sump pump.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

Schwanz beat me to it!

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

Got some cash to burn, Stepped?  :)

#8 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

Drool. In a similar vein, how do I fit a low-pressure steam boiler in my 1-car garage?

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:57 AM

Drool. In a similar vein, how do I fit a low-pressure steam boiler in my 1-car garage?

double boiler instead?

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

Got some cash to burn, Stepped?  :)

I'm just creating somewhat of a dream system if I had more
money time money space money time space money (repeat)

Thanks Fellas. jKOr the one you linked does not have a jacketed system as I read it. True?

#11 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

double boiler instead?

Was actually thinking about steam injection, but I need to stop, at least until I get a real house on some land with a shed out back.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

httpss://www.brewershardware.com/Conical-Fermentors/

My buddy got the 20 gallon and loved it so much he bought a second.

Schwanz can you tell me if the one listed for $1850 is out the door ready to ferment and chill? The verbiage on the bottom indicates otherwise to me.

Thanks, Mike

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

Schwanz can you tell me if the one listed for $1850 is out the door ready to ferment and chill? The verbiage on the bottom indicates otherwise to me.

Thanks, Mike

You have to get some fittings and you'll need spare tri-clamp stuff as well as a cooling source. 

Super simple chiller... Get the smallest chest freezer you can find. Get some propylene glycol and put it in a rubbermaid bin with a sump pump in the freezer. The bigger the bin the better. You'll need some hose to go to the fermenter. You'll need to wrap the hose in insulation to help keep it cold. Get a temperature controller and use it to control the pump. When the fermentation gets too warm, the pump turns on and recirculates cold glycol back into the reservoir (rubbermaid bin) until the temp drops again. Simple. The whole chilling side shouldn't cost more than $250, I'd wager. If you want it to be more effective you can make a wrap for the fermentor to insulate it more. You can even substitute salt water for glycol, but you can't go below 28 degrees. The glycol will go even lower which means better efficiency for crashing.

My buddies are using a similar set up with the 1bbl fermentors from brewers hardware at hidden springs ale works for their pilot system. My buddy in my club did a similar set up with 2 of the 20 gal ones. He absolutely loves it.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 04 August 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

Oh yeah, make sure you have a good way to O2 the wort. You can use the port on the top and a wand from williamsbrewing.com or if you feel like being fancy pants, get a $200 in line oxygenator from stout tanks.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 04 August 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

Holy Cow! Allow me to digest this. Please stand by for a barrage of dumb questions.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

I'm just creating somewhat of a dream system if I had more
money time money space money time space money (repeat)

Thanks Fellas. jKOr the one you linked does not have a jacketed system as I read it. True?

Well, i didn't see a half barrel jacketed on there. They had some larger jacketed tanks, though. 250 liter was the smallest. That's more like 2BBL.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Holy Cow! Allow me to digest this. Please stand by for a barrage of dumb questions.

It's really not that complicated. You need a cold source, a fluid to exchange heat, a reservoir, pump, simple controller, tubing, and some fittings/insulation. It's exactly like using a temp controller for a ferm chamber except instead of using the controller to control the on/off of the fridge/freezer, you use the controller to turn the pump on/off.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

You have to get some fittings and you'll need spare tri-clamp stuff as well as a cooling source. 

Super simple chiller... Get the smallest chest freezer you can find. Get some propylene glycol and put it in a rubbermaid bin with a sump pump in the freezer. The bigger the bin the better. You'll need some hose to go to the fermenter. You'll need to wrap the hose in insulation to help keep it cold. Get a temperature controller and use it to control the pump. When the fermentation gets too warm, the pump turns on and recirculates cold glycol back into the reservoir (rubbermaid bin) until the temp drops again. Simple. The whole chilling side shouldn't cost more than $250, I'd wager. If you want it to be more effective you can make a wrap for the fermentor to insulate it more. You can even substitute salt water for glycol, but you can't go below 28 degrees. The glycol will go even lower which means better efficiency for crashing.

My buddies are using a similar set up with the 1bbl fermentors from brewers hardware at hidden springs ale works for their pilot system. My buddy in my club did a similar set up with 2 of the 20 gal ones. He absolutely loves it.

You can just use water, truth be told.  An insulated, jacketed vessel circulating 35F water is going to chill the beer way, way faster than typical air circulation in a fermentation chamber.  

BUT we're talking a dream system here, so might as well just get the built-for-purpose glycol chiller.  You're dropping nearly $2K for the conical, spend the extra $800 for a chiller.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

You can just use water, truth be told.  An insulated, jacketed vessel circulating 35F water is going to chill the beer way, way faster than typical air circulation in a fermentation chamber.  

BUT we're talking a dream system here, so might as well just get the built-for-purpose glycol chiller.  You're dropping nearly $2K for the conical, spend the extra $800 for a chiller.

Save $600 and buy some bulk ingredients?

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Save $600 and buy some bulk ingredients?

DREAM SYSTEM!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users