#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

I've got this really fresh cake of 3711 yeast and I want to brew a Fall Saison with it.  Something with a reddish or amber hue.  Any thoughts on recipe formulation or does anyone have one they're willing to share?

Thanks ya'll!

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

Use the blood of orhans as a sacrifice to the beer gods...

Or maybe just do a 100% red-x saison?

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

How about this (just off the top of my head):

a grist bill of mainly Pils or two-row of your choice, some oats (say, a 1/4 lb), some wheat (another 1/4 lb), maybe some Munich or Vienna (1 lb), and then some carafa or midnight wheat to get the color you want.  Maybe some cane sugar, a few days into the primary to dry things out if needed.

For a fall saison, I'd venture you might want an OG north of 1.060 or so.  Something on the hearty side.

Hops: whatever you like in a saison and/or whatever you have on hand or can get easily, such as Goldings, Hallertau. etc.

Hope this helps; if not, please ignore.  :D

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

My Dirty Penny always pleases. Just enough crystal but plenty of Saison'y tradition

https://piratetreasu...ge/122212504480

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Oops wrong attachment, but not a bad attachment ;)

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Makes my wife very happy :)
10 lb B Pils
8 oz Caramunich 56
5 oz 120
5 oz Special B
1 lb Panela
Magnum at 60 to 22 IBU
Amarillo to finish to 9 IBU
WLP 565

1.058'ish dropped to 1.004

#7 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

Check out this article.  I've made both the Saison d'Hiver and Saison Automne.  Both are EXCELLENT recipes.

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/2499/MJzym08_Saisons.pdf

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

One of my favorite most read articles by the Saison Guru

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

Or maybe just do a 100% red-x saison?

If not 100%, at least a decent amount. Agreed

#10 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10728 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

Where was this thread last week!!! :)    I never made a saison and had just ordered 3711. I had a rush brewing session because my next few weekends are booked. I just used Pilsner, Special B and aromatic and some saaz hops that I had on hand. This was just kind of a test batch to see what the yeast does and how well I like it.

darkmagneto, thanks for the PDF link. I'll try some of those recipes with the yeast cake from this first batch.

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10728 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:26 AM

Wow I started the 3711 in the mid-60s and let it ramp up to mid-70's.  That is some funky smelling yeast. I got another week or so before I rack it to a keg and get to sample it.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

Where was this thread last week!!! :)    I never made a saison and had just ordered 3711. I had a rush brewing session because my next few weekends are booked. I just used Pilsner, Special B and aromatic and some saaz hops that I had on hand. This was just kind of a test batch to see what the yeast does and how well I like it.

You are going to have a very nice beer if that is your bill.  I like the way a little B plays with the yeast, even though traditionally crystals shouldn't be included.  I say baaaaah to that.  My fav combo is some B and 120 in a Saison.....

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

I've got this really fresh cake of 3711 yeast and I want to brew a Fall Saison with it.  Something with a reddish or amber hue.  Any thoughts on recipe formulation or does anyone have one they're willing to share?

Thanks ya'll!

Check out this...httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/2499/MJzym08_Saisons.pdf . It's Drew's "A Saison For Every Season" article.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Check out this article.  I've made both the Saison d'Hiver and Saison Automne.  Both are EXCELLENT recipes.

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/2499/MJzym08_Saisons.pdf

Check out this...httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/2499/MJzym08_Saisons.pdf . It's Drew's "A Saison For Every Season" article.

oh yeah? :lol:

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Some good info here too

https://www.brews-br...the-saison-guys

Edited by drez77, 06 August 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10728 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

darkmagneto, thanks for the PDF link. I'll try some of those recipes with the yeast cake from this first batch.

Just got done kegging and tasting my hydrometer sample. It came out far better than I expected with a thrown together recipe. I saved the yeast and will look to brew one of the recipes above in the above link in a few weeks

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

Just got done kegging and tasting my hydrometer sample. It came out far better than I expected with a thrown together recipe. I saved the yeast and will look to brew one of the recipes above in the above link in a few weeks

Cool, I thought the recipe you posted above looked quite nice. Kinda has me thinking about something similar for a fall saison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users