#81 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

I am just really confused as to when to start the starter.  Knowing when it will hit high krausen seems to be a crap shoot to me.

I believe the larger the starter the longer it will take.  So if you want to give yourself some wiggle room you could do something like 1.5L.

The timing could be tricky though.  I'm going to pitch the yeast into the starter as late as possible the night before to insure that I don't miss it.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 05 October 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#82 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

I am just really confused as to when to start the starter.  Knowing when it will hit high krausen seems to be a crap shoot to me.

This exactly. It's going to be a crapshoot based on how old the packet/vial I am using is. I frequently use packets or vials or revive saved yeast that is 2-5 months old.

#83 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

This exactly. It's going to be a crapshoot based on how old the packet/vial I am using is. I frequently use packets or vials or revive saved yeast that is 2-5 months old.

go ask Mark, I'm sure he or one of his followers will give you an answer or least tell you they answered your question back on page 4 ;)

I'm hoping for predictable since I'll be starting with a vial in reasonable health.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 05 October 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#84 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:31 AM

or least tell you they answered your question back on page 4 ;)

lol

#85 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:42 AM

go ask Mark, I'm sure he or one of his followers will give you an answer or least tell you they answered your question back on page 4 ;)

I'm hoping for predictable since I'll be starting with a vial in reasonable health.

I skimmed most of those post and I am not sure I saw this talked about.  Granted, it was late and I was tired so I may have missed it.

If I get to brewing ( I kicked the chinook/citra this weekend) this week I may give it a try with a pack of yeast I have just to see what happens.  That beer is a low enough OG that I will not freak out if the yeast is not perfect.

#86 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:42 AM

Mark seems to really know his stuff about yeast for sure and really I'm hoping it works out.  being able to make one small starter the night before brewing sounds quite excellent.

#87 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

I skimmed most of those post and I am not sure I saw this talked about.  Granted, it was late and I was tired so I may have missed it.

If I get to brewing ( I kicked the chinook/citra this weekend) this week I may give it a try with a pack of yeast I have just to see what happens.  That beer is a low enough OG that I will not freak out if the yeast is not perfect.

they don't really cover old yeast from what I have read.  If I was using a smack pack I'd let it swell first.  in the case of a fresh vial I'll just hope for the best.  in the case of saved slurry I really don't know and I don't think that has really been addressed.  I'm guessing you'd maybe want to do a 2 step starter - one to wake the yeast up and then the second one to make sure you have hit high krausen at the right time.

#88 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

The pack I have is a bit older.  If I plan to brew on Sunday I will make the starter after dinner saturday night and just play it by ear. 

#89 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

The pack I have is a bit older.  If I plan to brew on Sunday I will make the starter after dinner saturday night and just play it by ear. 

yes, my back up plan here is to change the hops out and make a saison :lol:

#90 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Brewing my export Friday.  When is this fancy new starter happening?

#91 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

Brewing my export Friday.  When is this fancy new starter happening?

Thursday night along with the start of the mash.

#92 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

nailed the FG at 1.011 (assuming it doesn't ferment more which I don't expect it to).

#93 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:11 AM

I still haven't brewed mine!  I should get to that.  I have a nice big pitch of yeast all ready to go.

#94 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

well I'll let you know soon enough what I think.

#95 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

so it's tempting to crash and keg this thing at 2 weeks but something about doing that with a lager seems questionable.  patience, patience, patience....

but really, at 9 days in it's hit terminal gravity and no off flavors that I could taste.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 19 October 2015 - 02:31 PM.

#96 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

I still haven't brewed mine!  I should get to that.  I have a nice big pitch of yeast all ready to go.

one thing to point out - this is the first really light colored german lager I've ever made.  prior to this I made a maibock that was darker simply due to the amount of grain I threw at it.

I have to say I'm a little anxious to see how this turned out.  it will certainly show me where I'm at as a brewer.

#97 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:44 AM

still carbing and clearing.  lot's of yeast floating around right now so it's really tough to tell how clean it's going to be.  as of now there is nothing obviously wrong.

#98 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

still carbing and clearing.  lot's of yeast floating around right now so it's really tough to tell how clean it's going to be.  as of now there is nothing obviously wrong.

Do you gelatin your lagers?

#99 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

Do you gelatin your lagers?

I have not in quite some time.  usually super cold temps seem to get the job done.  My transfer wasn't as clean as I'd like - sucked up a little yeast/trub.

#100 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

I have not in quite some time.  usually super cold temps seem to get the job done.  My transfer wasn't as clean as I'd like - sucked up a little yeast/trub.

How cold? Do you get some chill haze too or no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users