#101 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

How cold? Do you get some chill haze too or no?

I've got the chamber set to 1.5C +/- 1C.  Chill haze typically isn't (much) of a problem here.

#102 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

getting more deliciouser.  still not quite carbed right.

#103 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

it's seems nice and rounded and smooth.  not harsh.  a tiny bit bready in the nose.  a little hop in the nose from the hallertau (although my ability to sense less than extreme amounts of hops is completely gone!).

#104 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:40 AM

alright - i'm letting the serving/lagering champer warm up to 40F (vs 33F) to see how things are.  I was finding that the beer was too cold for me to tell much about it :lol:

and yes, there must be a little chill haze going on but I think it's only when the beer is ICE cold b/c as it warms up even a little bit (still cold, just not freezing) it starts to look much clearer.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 29 October 2015 - 03:41 AM.

#105 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:46 AM

alright - i'm letting the serving/lagering champer warm up to 40F (vs 33F) to see how things are.  I was finding that the beer was too cold for me to tell much about it :lol:

and yes, there must be a little chill haze going on but I think it's only when the beer is ICE cold b/c as it warms up even a little bit (still cold, just not freezing) it starts to look much clearer.

33F is a flavor killer. It even make some hops taste funny as if there is a selective expression of some of the flavors while others don't come out at all until it warms.

#106 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:57 AM

33F is a flavor killer. It even make some hops taste funny as if there is a selective expression of some of the flavors while others don't come out at all until it warms.

yeah, for serving I generally would not hold the temp that cold.  low 40s is more typical but in this case I was looking to drop out yeast and stuff.

#107 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:58 AM

I had some of this last night from a 1L soda bottle that I had quick carbed but never got around to drinking.  due to the small volume a lot of the yeast settled out in a relatively short period of time.  probably the cleanest beer I've ever made.  insanely clean.  the mr. clean of beers.

:frank:

#108 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:01 AM

I just kicked my German Pils last night as I was filling some bottles to send to some board members.  That got me thinking about this recipe again.  Thinking this one will go before the dunkle.

#109 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:19 AM

Sounds great. So I guess you are liking the starter method then?

Is this the final recipe? https://www.brews-br...dert/?p=2092814

#110 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:25 AM

Sounds great. So I guess you are liking the starter method then?

Is this the final recipe? https://www.brews-br...dert/?p=2092814

the starter method seems to have worked this time.  I didn't like the lag I experienced but that could just be the yeast/cool ferm temps or maybe I shocked the yeast by not chilling it enough prior to pitching it in the wort.  one thing I don't like is the amount of guess work involved.  since I mash over night this method also means that I have committed to making beer before I know for sure that the starter is going to go as planned.  I can't say I enjoy that aspect.  I do like the smaller starter size and the ability to not have to plan ahead quite as far.

re: the recipe...

I believe it's accurate for the grain.  Slightly less confident on the hops but that is at least in the ballpark.  I'll post something tonight when I'm at home with the recipe spreadsheet.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 05 November 2015 - 06:36 AM.

#111 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

OG: 1.051

FG: 1.011

ABV: 5.2%

IBU: 24

MALT:

15 lbs Pilsen Malt (Best Malz)

2 lbs Munich Malt (Best Malz)

1 lbs Carapils/Carafoam

mash @ 150F, single infusion (I usually mash overnight)

I'll do my best to get my Calcium up around 50 ppm while keeping both sulfate and chloride under 50 or 60 ppm.  This means I'll be adding gypsum and calcium chloride of course.  I'll make up the remainder of my pH adjustment with lactic acid and shoot for a pH of 5.2-5.3.  I'll sparge with 2 gallons or less of untreated (but soft) water so my pre-boil pH should still be around 5.2-5.3.

HOPS:

? oz Hallertau @ 60 mins to get IBUs up to 24 total

1.0 oz Hallertau @ 5 mins

1.0 oz Hallertau @ flameout

2.0 oz Hallertau @ hop stand

FERMENT:

A large (I'll work out appropriate numbers later) starter of WL833 with the temp controller set to 50F (probe stuck to the side of the fermentor).

looks like I went with 1.5 oz of hallertau at 5 and 0 and then 2 oz for the hop stand.

grain is right.

Ca: 51 ppm

Na: 29 ppm

Sulfate: 76 ppm

Cl: 59 ppm

#112 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

Thanks. What Hallertau did you go with, hersbrucker, mittelfruh, tradition?

ETA:… and are you happy with the amounts you used, would you use more less next time?

Edited by neddles, 05 November 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#113 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:24 AM

Thanks. What Hallertau did you go with, hersbrucker, mittelfruh, tradition?

ETA:… and are you happy with the amounts you used, would you use more less next time?

I honestly do not know.  when I bought it from hops direct it just said hallertau.

these hops were a little bit old so they probably wouldn't pack the punch of something a little fresher.  so I'd likely stick with these amounts again with better hops to say for sure.  I'd say the IBUs are about in the right spot though.

#114 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:56 AM

So, you don't think you overshot the flavor addition? I might give this a go in a month or 2.

#115 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:06 AM

I honestly do not know.  when I bought it from hops direct it just said hallertau.

these hops were a little bit old so they probably wouldn't pack the punch of something a little fresher.  so I'd likely stick with these amounts again with better hops to say for sure.  I'd say the IBUs are about in the right spot though.

Thanks. I should ask too… what color of Best  Munich the light or the dark? Looks to be a few of us considering this recipe.

#116 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

best malz regular (light) munich malt.

the pils is also best malz.

#117 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

I finally grabbed a bottle of the commercial version at the store and cannot wait to get home and give it a try.

#118 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

So, you don't think you overshot the flavor addition? I might give this a go in a month or 2.

I don't think so but it's possible my hop taste buds are out of whack (too many IPAs).

#119 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

just put a keg of this back on tap last night.  more yeast settled so I need to drink through that.  tastes very slightly lemony (hops? yeast?) but I kind of suspect that will go away when I get to the clear beer tonight/tomorrow.

#120 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

I don't think so but it's possible my hop taste buds are out of whack (too many IPAs).

drinking right now - I might back off the finishing hops slightly.  but not much.  it will likely settle into the right place before I finish the keg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users