12 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

... which is what my mom has called this for years. Not sure if there is a more accurate name or not. I planted one cucumber plant this spring and I've pulled 15-20 cucumbers off it already with more to come. I have made 2 batches of this already and it's great in the summer. Goes like this...

1 cucumber sliced very thin (use a mandolin if you have one)
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
½ tbsp. of sugar
½ tbsp. of salt
a sprinkle of pepper
thinly-sliced onion to taste
½ cup of sour cream

Throw everything into a bowl, mix it up, put it into a covered container and throw it into the fridge. It's great after it sits cold for awhile. Here's a pic I found on teh Google machine which looks pretty accurate. I think there is some German or Austrian origin to this but not sure.

30mrhww.jpg

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111777 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:52 AM

Nice. I planted 16 cucumber plants so I need recipes :) I have been harvesting like 12 a day...

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:16 AM

Nice. I planted 16 cucumber plants so I need recipes :) I have been harvesting like 12 a day...

You must have many acres of unused land. :P I planted exactly ONE and I have to keep it trimmed back or else it will cross the fence and attack the Klopeks. I also posted a good cucumber dip recipe in here so you have 2 recipes for all those cucs. Now you need 45 more! :lol: Cheers.

Also: I have read that some people mix up everything in a bowl EXCEPT THE SOUR CREAM and let it sit for about an hour in the fridge and then they strain out the liquid. Then they add the sour cream and mix it all up. My 2 batches were a little "thin" in the consistency department so I could see this working. I suppose it depends on how much water is in your cucs. Cheers.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 14 August 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111777 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

LOL.  We have a 1/3 acre lot.  I devoted about 900 sq. ft. to the garden.  It's a little ridiculous...

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

So last night I saw 10-15 new cucs on the plant and maybe 6-7 cucs in the veggie drawer in the fridge. So I went to mix up some more cucumbers & sour cream and when I look in the fridge, I don't have much sour cream. Damn. But wait, what's this? Some Dean's French Onion dip with bacon that I picked up this week! Hey, that must have some sour cream in it! Probably not but wtf. Plus bacon makes everything better right? It probably has no real bacon but wtf. So I mix in the sour cream I have left and add a couple tbsp. of the dip. Yum. I made that last night and it's gone now! :lol:

#6 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111777 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:50 PM

6PzSbLW.jpg

This is today's harvest...

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

This is today's harvest...

Yeah, it's outrageous how many cucs you get from a plant. There are at least 20 small-to-medium jobbies hanging off of my one plant right now and my guess is that they will be picked this week. Have you been collecting recipes for cucumber omelettes, cucumber chip cookies and the like? :lol:

#8 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111777 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

lol - not only that, but yesterday I started learning about and practicing garnishing techniques, like trying to make this crap

maxresdefault.jpg

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

Oh dude, that looks time-consuming. I am literally laughing so hard right now imagining you with your tongue sticking out with a pair of kitchen scissors in your hand trying to make that shizz. About the fanciest I get is that I will take a length of the cuc and then cut down the length of the peel with a knife in 3 or 4 spots around the cuc so that the peel looks cool but otherwise... too much work for something you're just going to eat! :lol:

Like this and then I slice them...

9utc93.jpg

#10 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111777 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

I harvested 17 lbs of cucumbers today :covreyes:

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

17 lbs? Wow. My wife took 2 or 3 off the plant yesterday and I took another 2 off today. Dude, tell me what you end up doing with all these things. My wife keeps giving them away which is cool but I love me some cucs and want to use them!! :lol:

#12 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:36 AM

I harvested 17 lbs of cucumbers today :covreyes:

Pickles!

#13 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28136 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:48 AM

Here is my recipe for this dish.

Lots of cukes, peeled and sliced.

1-2 vadalia onions sliced thin.

Put a handfull of each in a bowl and sprinkle some canning salt on them, like 1/2-1/3tsp.  Keep doing this until you've added all the cukes and onions to the bowl.  Put it together in the morning.  Leave it out on a counter all day and every time you walk buy, stir it.  You'll notice water start to accumulate in the bowl.  In the evening, drain the water off.  Add about 3/4 cup sour cream, a few turns of a pepper grinder, and a handfull of dill chopped up.  Stir in thoroughly and let sit overnight.

Dewatering the cukes makes all the difference in this dish.  It will never get runny on you after sitting in the fridge for a day or 2.

Serve the next day.

MB 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users