#21 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

I have done it .. I am not sure what it adds to be honest.  My process is typically to dry hop in the primary towards the end of fermentation and then crash, move to a brite tank with the next dry hop charge and biofine.  Once that is done I move it to a serving keg.

here is an experiment done on the topic https://brulosophy.c...riment-results/

The experiment seems fairly conclusive.  Sorry...exBEERiment.  :)

My guess, as these things often tend to be, is that FWs process/equipment led to the double dry hopping procedure, not any flavor benefit.  Once the marketing department catches wind of it, though...

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:06 AM

Both. The reasoning is two fold as I remember it. First they are trying to gain some flavors produced by the dry hops interacting with the active yeast (this could be potentially applicable to home brewers) Second they are reducing O2 uptake by having the yeast active for half of the dry hop exposure. (probably benefits commercial brewing much more than us since bottle longevity is such a concern for the commercial brewer.)

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

The experiment seems fairly conclusive.  Sorry...exBEERiment.   :)

My guess, as these things often tend to be, is that FWs process/equipment led to the double dry hopping procedure, not any flavor benefit.  Once the marketing department catches wind of it, though...

Many have been double dry hopping long before FW.  Pliny has been for a long time.  But I do agree that they can market it.

40663_495888589656_5747306_n.jpg?oh=1aea

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

Many have been double dry hopping long before FW.  Pliny has been for a long time.  But I do agree that they can market it.

40663_495888589656_5747306_n.jpg?oh=1aea

Drez, I am sure you realize this but (other than the early to mid boil stuff, mostly IBUs) your Chinook-Citra APA has more late and dry hops than this Pliny recipe. Heck, my standard MO with IPA these days is about 4oz whirlpool and 4oz. dry in 5 gallons.

Edited by nettles, 13 August 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Pliny is up there in age now, there's been another lupulin shift.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Pliny is up there in age now, there's been another lupulin shift.

Absolutely. That was really my point.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

Drez, I am sure you realize this but (other than the early to mid boil stuff, mostly IBUs) your Chinook-Citra APA has more late and dry hops than this Pliny recipe. Heck, my standard MO with IPA these days is about 4oz whirlpool and 4oz. dry in 5 gallons.

Oh I do and this is an old Pliny recipe. My point was to show the multiple dry hops have been around for a long time and not something new.

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Oh I do and this is an old Pliny recipe. My point was to show the multiple dry hops have been around for a long time and not something new.

For sure, I got your point. It was just funny to see that recipe again and be thinking "Hmmm.... Thats not really all that over the top hoppy!" Like Jkor said another shift I guess.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:32 AM

For sure, I got your point. It was just funny to see that recipe again and be thinking "Hmmm.... Thats not really all that over the top hoppy!" Like Jkor said another shift I guess.

Huge shift imo. I look at my late hops and say "is that too much" then drop in more.

#30 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:12 AM

Huge shift imo. I look at my late hops and say "is that too much" then drop in more.

Haha yep. I was just looking over your HH recipe last night and was thinking that the whirlpool charge was kinda small compared to your other beers or what I would do. Was thinking of doubling it but I remember it being pretty good as is.

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

I'm going to start with the Union Jack due to hop availability.  I need to stock up on some of the more trendy hops somewhere besides the LHBS.  Even Amarillo was $2.89 there.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

I'm going to start with the Union Jack due to hop availability.  I need to stock up on some of the more trendy hops somewhere besides the LHBS.  Even Amarillo was $2.89 there.

label peelers!  hops direct!

there is another that denny likes that I keep forgetting to check out.  if for some reason you want smaller than pound varieties we could split some if our needs align.

#33 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

I like the 4oz packs that farmhouse house.  I might get a few of those.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Haha yep. I was just looking over your HH recipe last night and was thinking that the whirlpool charge was kinda small compared to your other beers or what I would do. Was thinking of doubling it but I remember it being pretty good as is.

I may just do that next time.

#35 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

label peelers!  hops direct!

there is another that denny likes that I keep forgetting to check out.  if for some reason you want smaller than pound varieties we could split some if our needs align.

I'll wait until the '15 crop rolls in before making any big orders, but hopsdirect is always a fave.

I could probably just order out of drez's freezer.

$8.25/# on Columbus is pretty tempting, tho.

Edited by JKor, 14 August 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

I'll wait until the '15 crop rolls in before making any big orders, but hopsdirect is always a fave.

I could probably just order out of drez's freezer.

$8.25/# on Columbus is pretty tempting, tho.

that is damn cheap.

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

that is damn cheap.

It's also damn over. That sale is no longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users