43 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

... is not my thing. But it may have to be. My wife informed me earlier this week that she has invited around 40 people over to the house on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Earlier this week one of my kegs blew and last night another one blew. I have beers to put into those kegs but I think I need to try to get some beers done very quickly. I smacked a fresh pack of 1056 last night and it's hard as a rock right now so I am brewing a blonde ale (pilsner, Rahr Pale Ale malt, some wheat and light Munich with Mt. Hood to bitter and late Santiam additions) this afternoon. I could get that to a keg by September 6 easily. But I don't think I could make another ale with that same yeast and have it ready. My other option is that I have some Bordertown Dark Lager with 940 that is done and could be sent to a keg. That 940 has already been used 4 times. Do I use it again and make another beer (lager) that could be done by then? Beers that may be ready for this event are: Jamil's Vienna and a "Prague Pilsner" (both in kegs, cold, carbed), RedX Red Ale (went on tap last night), Cabana Lager (to be kegged this weekend) and a pale ale that is now dry hopping with Saphir and Glacier. The blonde would be ready too. I'm looking for the best way to have 2 new beers ready by Sep 6. Thoughts?

#2 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

A low to moderate gravity British Ale usually has the fastest turnaround, for me. I can usually get one of those into a keg in a week or so, since the fermentation is usually done in a few days and the British yeast I've used drop like a rock and leave a beer ready for the glass. WLP051 also clears well, for an American Ale yeast, if you think that would fit the crowd better.

Edited by Brauer, 14 August 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

A low to moderate gravity British Ale usually has the fastest turnaround, for me. I can usually get one of those into a keg in a week or so, since the fermentation is usually done in a few days and the British yeast I've used drop like a rock and leave a beer ready for the glass. WLP051 also clears well, for an American Ale yeast, if you think that would fit the crowd better.

Hmm. So maybe hit up the LHBS (they only have Wyeast there) and grab some 1968, 1028, 1099, etc. and make a bitter or something? I could use some EKG or even US Goldings which I like. I have the base and specialties required and I could let the blonde ferment first (in a tub of cool water) and when it's done, make the bitter and potentially get them both into kegs by 9/6. Seems reasonable if I can find time to get to the LHBS. How do you feel about using a lager yeast like 940 for the fifth time and making some sort of Mexican Amber Lager? I realize a lager should actually lager but I think it would be possible to ferment it cold for 2 weeks, d-rest it for a couple of days and go straight to a keg with gel, chill it, carb it and have it ready. Thoughts?

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

I think three weeks is sufficient time for most beers, even lagers.  Maybe not a perfect time frame, but possible.  

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

I think three weeks is sufficient time for most beers, even lagers.  Maybe not a perfect time frame, but possible.  

my lagers are usually closer to 4 but it could be done.  I think i'd go with ales though.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

The other option is to make the blonde today and give it 10-12 days to ferment, send it to a secondary and use the 1056 to make another batch of MLPA, give that one 10 days or so and then go straight to a keg. I would have 24 days to make two ales back to back with the same yeast... or one ale and one lager. Sheesh, I could even do 2 ales and 1 lager!

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

Agreed, 3 weeks is enough time to get some quicker-turnaround beers from grain to glass.

Any reservations on brewing a wheat beer, say, an American wheat, with some of the slurry from the blonde ale you're making today?

1 week primary, cold-crash for 2-3 days, then keg and force-carb.  Wouldn't need to be terribly clear, either.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/0760347379

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/0760347379

Thanks Denny but I don't have time to READ! :lol:

I think I can pull this off and the only trick is finding the time to brew these. I think I'll take a "fallback" approach of one ale and one lager (1056/940) and if I can get another ale in there too, great. What I also might do is have all 4 taps going in the bar and then take a batch of something light (the blonde, Cabana Lager, a helles that I have) and put that one out on the back patio in a tub of ice with a CO2 tank and a cobra tap... 5 beers on tap in all.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 14 August 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

Make 2 starters from the 1056. The blonde ale should be ready to move to a keg by day 6 or 7 I would think.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

Make 2 starters from the 1056. The blonde ale should be ready to move to a keg by day 6 or 7 I would think.

I thought about that but I'm brewing TODAY and just smacked the pack last night. It's very fresh and looks like it might burst so I know it's ready to go. Water is filtered and grains are about to be measured out and milled.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 14 August 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

Ha.  No kidding.  That looks like an interesting read.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

Ha.  No kidding.  That looks like an interesting read.

Great book!

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

hefeweizen. 2 weeks tops to draft.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

hefeweizen. 2 weeks tops to draft.

Trying not to vomit, my good friend. ;) That banana & clove shizz is not for me. :lol:

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:45 AM

How do you feel about using a lager yeast like 940 for the fifth time and making some sort of Mexican Amber Lager? I realize a lager should actually lager but I think it would be possible to ferment it cold for 2 weeks, d-rest it for a couple of days and go straight to a keg with gel, chill it, carb it and have it ready. Thoughts?

Are you worried about using a yeast for the 5th time? I wouldn't think twice, if the 4th beer was fine.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:53 AM

Are you worried about using a yeast for the 5th time? I wouldn't think twice, if the 4th beer was fine.

4th beer was made 2 weeks ago or so and smells lovely... a dark lager with nobles. Yes, I was a little concerned about using a yeast that many times but I suppose you're right... if the last batch was okay, should be good for another. I think I'm going to brew that one tomorrow. A simple recipe of 64% Avangard pils, 32% Light Munch (the 6L stuff) and 4% CaraMunich. Brewer's Gold to bitter (25 IBUs @ 60) and then an ounce of Hallertau for 10. Total of 30 IBUs, 5% beer, SRM of 8, 940 on the yeast. It's a sort of pale Mexican Vienna or Mexican Amber Lager.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 15 August 2015 - 05:54 AM.

#18 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:49 PM

httpss://byo.com/stout/item/1397-speed-brewing

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Made the blonde ale with 1056, Mt. Hood and Santiam on Friday. Smooth brewday and a quick start to the fermentation. That beer is bubbling away in the low 60s in a tub of water in the basement. Today I sent a batch of Bordertown Dark Lager to secondary and I'm using the 940 for a batch of Mexican Amber Lager. I may try to get a batch of MLPA in with that 1056 after the blonde is done. Another keg will probably blow today. Had some buds over last night and a pilsner keg got hit pretty hard and will probably get drained today. Cheers peeps and enjoy your brewdays if you're brewing.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:46 PM

I turned an ordinary bitter with 1469 in 14 days, 10 days in primary, gelled and crashed in the keg 4 days, ready to serve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users