43 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

I turned an ordinary bitter with 1469 in 14 days, 10 days in primary, gelled and crashed in the keg 4 days, ready to serve

BOOM! I don't think I have ever turned one around that quickly (I think my record was 17 days but I typically don't brew for speed) but the third batch of this run will be the quickest... probably around the same time as yours. Cheers.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

Shoot. Just blew another keg when I went to grab a beer while making dinner. 3 empties at the moment but tomorrow might be "fill the kegs" night.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

BOOM! I don't think I have ever turned one around that quickly (I think my record was 17 days but I typically don't brew for speed) but the third batch of this run will be the quickest... probably around the same time as yours. Cheers.

prepare for fresh beer!!!

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

Had a window today and moved the blonde ale I made on 8/14 to a secondary and used the 1056 in another batch of MLPA. In the last 2 weeks I have made 4 batches... Blonde, Mexican Amber Lager, Munich Helles and MLPA. Hopefully there is some left after Labor Day Weekend. Cheers.

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

You are a productive man Ken Lenard. I'll bet they will be delicious!

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

Did my American milds in 5-6 days, brew to keg.

#27 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

Did my American milds in 5-6 days, brew to keg.

how long did they condition after kegging?

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, 5-6 days means I could be drinking the beer I just made by next Sunday's party... which I would not attempt. The beers I would have to choose from for this party are: Jamil's Vienna, Glacier Pale Ale, Cabana Lager, Santiam Blonde Ale, Bordertown Dark Lager, RedX Red Ale with Mandarina Bavaria hops, a cross between a helles and a pilsner I made with 2002 (going to a keg tomorrow probably) and then there is this Session IPA that my wife is supposed to be drinking but she's not drinking it fast enough. If it's good by next weekend, I'll leave it on tap, otherwise it may get retired.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 28 August 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#29 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, 5-6 days means I could be drinking the beer I just made by next Sunday's party... which I would not attempt. The beers I would have to choose from for this party are: Jamil's Vienna, Glacier Pale Ale, Cabana Lager, Santiam Blonde Ale, Bordertown Dark Lager, RedX Red Ale with Mandarina Bavaria hops, a cross between a helles and a pilsner I made with 2002 (going to a keg tomorrow probably) and then there is this Session IPA that my wife is supposed to be drinking but she's not drinking it fast enough. If it's good by next weekend, I'll leave it on tap, otherwise it may get retired.

Post a pic of that RedX beer. It was 100% or no?

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Post a pic of that RedX beer. It was 100% or no?

100% RedX with 4 ounces of Special B and 4 ounces of Thomas Fawcett Dark Crystal #2. It's REALLY red. But one issue I have is that it's a little cloudy and that plus how dark it is... a pic may not do it justice until it clears. The other day I tapped some into an alt glass (relatively thin) so that I might get a good shot of it but it was cloudy. I promise to snap a pic and it might be when the keg is close to empty.

#31 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

100% RedX with 4 ounces of Special B and 4 ounces of Thomas Fawcett Dark Crystal #2. It's REALLY red. But one issue I have is that it's a little cloudy and that plus how dark it is... a pic may not do it justice until it clears. The other day I tapped some into an alt glass (relatively thin) so that I might get a good shot of it but it was cloudy. I promise to snap a pic and it might be when the keg is close to empty.

Sounds good. Would love to see it. I have made a bunch of variations of Red X beer and have mostly turned out amber. Making another this weekend. It will finish my bag of Red X so it might be it for awhile. This batch won't be that red anyway, I don't think.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

how long did they condition after kegging?

Couple hours....:)

#33 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Couple hours.... :)

holy moly

notice any extra flatulence? 

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

holy moly

notice any extra flatulence? 

Nope.  PItched lotsa 1450, low OG beer so it did it's work and dropped quickly.

#35 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Nope.  PItched lotsa 1450, low OG beer so it did it's work and dropped quickly.

nice

1 week to drinking is pretty phenomonal

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

nice

1 week to drinking is pretty phenomonal

I attribute it to the low OG and huge amount of yeast.  Fermented to FG in just under 3 days.  Then cold crashed.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Things just got a whole lot clearer and encouraging for this party I'm having. I went and topped up both of my serving CO2 tanks this morning. I was concerned that Murphy's Law would rear its head on Sunday so I have that out of the way. I just finished carbing a Czech Pilsner I made with 2002. I took a quick sample of it and I'm very impressed at how good it is and it hasn't even lagered for long. I also gelled it after I got it cold and after one blast of yeasty beer, I got really clear, light-colored pilsner that is really nice. Then I kegged this blonde ale which is now chilling and will start carbing tonight. I also took a Mexican Amber Lager I brewed on 8/16 and went directly from primary to a keg. I expected it to be a cloudy mess so I prepared some gel for the keg. I poured the gel solution in and then started racking and was surprised that it was crystal clear and smelled heavenly. Not sure how that happened but it did. So the starting lineup in the bar will be Cabana Lager, Glacier Pale Ale, Jamil's Vienna and this blonde ale. I'm also going to put this Mexican Amber Lager in a bucket with ice out on the patio and use a 5# tank to push it through a cobra tap. On deck and waiting for kegs to blow will be the 80-90%-full RedX Red Ale, the Czech Pilsner and a keg of Bordertown Dark Lager. I also ran a hot Oxi solution and Starsan through all my beer lines this morning. I'm feeling much better about this now. There will also be homemade guacamole, a big batch of the smoked salsa we've been talking about in the PH, some cucumbers [from the garden] and sour cream I posted in the cookbook along with a bunch of chicken, brats, polish sausages, dogs, etc. Cheers peeps!

Edited by Village Taphouse, 01 September 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

wish I lived close by!

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life