#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

So for the longest time when dry-hopping a beer I would wait till fermentation is over, rack to secondary on top of the hops. After X amount of time crash cool for a few days, keg and carb. No complaints. I'm thinking of trying other options as I have read some of you guys do things differently. I'm planning on skipping the secondary and adding hops in primary. From what I remember some of you will add during fermentation, towards the end. About what gravity are we talking? Just a few points to go sort of thing? Then after I add the hops, let sit 5-7 days, cold crash for a few then keg. So 2 weeks from brew day to kegging with dry-hop in the middle. Too quick? Looking for methods and opinions.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

A few months back Ken asked a dry hopping questions and this is what I wrote:

I am sure I DH different than most.

• First addition added to primary as fermentation slows
  • that addition stays in for 4-5 days, no more than 5.  This is typically done at 65.
  • After Day 5 I will move the beer to a keg, closed transfer with CO2, with a cut dip tube and a SS dryhopper with the second addition of dry hops and some biofine.
  • That says in for 4-5 days at cellar temps with some CO2 pressure on the keg.  If too low I will warm the keg.
  • After 5 days I push that beer to a serving keg, chill and carbonate.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

I've done the primary dry hop in a similar method to drez and it seems to do a nice job.  I also tend to do a cold dry hop in the keg that stays in there.  I like this dry hop for keeping the hoppy goodness around as long as possible and for dry hopping a keg I won't be drinking immediately (I can dry hop it right before I start drinking it).

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

I've only ever dry hopped during fermentation once and it was because I didn't know or think about when I was supposed to do it. It was my first batch of DCRIPA. I have to say, I really liked that beer. I have no idea if it was pride in being my first IPA or if it was just a really good beer, but it had really good hop flavor and aroma (that I can recall from 7 years ago - lol).

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53918 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

If you dry hop in the primary, any issue with reusing the yeast in there on another batch?

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

If you dry hop in the primary, any issue with reusing the yeast in there on another batch?

I have not done that but I would suspect it would just lower the percentage of yeast in the trub/yeast/hop mixture at the bottom of the fermentor.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

A few months back Ken asked a dry hopping questions and this is what I wrote:

I am sure I DH different than most.

• First addition added to primary as fermentation slows
  • that addition stays in for 4-5 days, no more than 5.  This is typically done at 65.
  • After Day 5 I will move the beer to a keg, closed transfer with CO2, with a cut dip tube and a SS dryhopper with the second addition of dry hops and some biofine.
  • That says in for 4-5 days at cellar temps with some CO2 pressure on the keg.  If too low I will warm the keg.
  • After 5 days I push that beer to a serving keg, chill and carbonate.

Ok, couple questions. Do you not usually ramp up temp when fermentation starts to slow? I ask because you mention that you're first dry-hop is done at 65. How long does the beer typically stay in the primary until you transfer to your first keg? Do you always double dry-hop you're hoppy style beers?

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

This is why I love you guys. I'm setting up my Saturday batch for 10 g's: half saison, half 1450. I'm intend on DH/fermenting the 1450 with a little Columbus/Chinook. Not much but just enough to differentiate. So awesome thread

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

Ok, couple questions. Do you not usually ramp up temp when fermentation starts to slow? I ask because you mention that you're first dry-hop is done at 65. How long does the beer typically stay in the primary until you transfer to your first keg? Do you always double dry-hop you're hoppy style beers?

to the best of my knowledge he does.  as do I.  I typically would start the primary dry hop around day 4 and then leave the hops in 4 days after this before crashing the primary for a day or two before racking to the keg.  I basically plan it such that whenever I was thinking I'd rack the beer I start the dry hop 4-6 days before that.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

As Morty said I do raise my temps.  Typically I will add the hops as I go for the last rise to about 70, it stays there for just about 24 hours to finish and scrub any O2 out then I slowly drop it back down to 65 and leave them there for 4-5 days.  day 4 I will start to lower the temps to crash it and then get ready to transfer to the brite tank.  As for the double dry hopping it has become my normal process.  I am not sure if it adds anything, I have read some where people can not tell the difference between the two methods but it works for me.  I can go form grain to glass in a bit over 2 weeks.  Primary 4 days - 1st DH and crash 5 days, Second DH and crash 5 days carbonation 1-2 days.  Granted, this is for a mid gravity beer not some monster.  So we are looking at 8-9 days in the primary before the transfer to the brite tank.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:55 AM

in my case it almost certainly is changing something since my primary dry hop is at a much warmer temp and shorter duration compared to my keg dry hop.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

in my case it almost certainly is changing something since my primary dry hop is at a much warmer temp and shorter duration compared to my keg dry hop.

For my situation they are at similar temps.  You know my dislike for keg hops :)

#13 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

As Morty said I do raise my temps. Typically I will add the hops as I go for the last rise to about 70, it stays there for just about 24 hours to finish and scrub any O2 out then I slowly drop it back down to 65 and leave them there for 4-5 days. day 4 I will start to lower the temps to crash it and then get ready to transfer to the brite tank. As for the double dry hopping it has become my normal process. I am not sure if it adds anything, I have read some where people can not tell the difference between the two methods but it works for me. I can go form grain to glass in a bit over 2 weeks. Primary 4 days - 1st DH and crash 5 days, Second DH and crash 5 days carbonation 1-2 days. Granted, this is for a mid gravity beer not some monster. So we are looking at 8-9 days in the primary before the transfer to the brite tank.

OK cool, thanks.

I will start will a modified version of this. I'm at day 5 now and will be ramping up to 70 this afternoon and will had the dry hops. Will go from there after that.

So as far as the 4-5 day dry-hop. Any reason not to go longer? It may not add anything, but is it hurting anything? Or are you just simply doing it that way for timing. I ask because there may be times I need more time if I can't get to it. So a primary dry-hop may be in for a week.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

OK cool, thanks.

I will start will a modified version of this. I'm at day 5 now and will be ramping up to 70 this afternoon and will had the dry hops. Will go from there after that.

So as far as the 4-5 day dry-hop. Any reason not to go longer? It may not add anything, but is it hurting anything? Or are you just simply doing it that way for timing. I ask because there may be times I need more time if I can't get to it. So a primary dry-hop may be in for a week.

In the past I have gone longer, up to 2 weeks with zero issues.  I have read and heard many like Kimmich from the Alchmest indicate that a long DH was not needed and I think one book said you get diminishing returns after 24 hours, that to me seems short but I have done 48 hours with success.  I try to stick to my schedule I have laid out but sometimes kids make that not possible!

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

In the past I have gone longer, up to 2 weeks with zero issues. I have read and heard many like Kimmich from the Alchmest indicate that a long DH was not needed and I think one book said you get diminishing returns after 24 hours, that to me seems short but I have done 48 hours with success. I try to stick to my schedule I have laid out but sometimes kids make that not possible!

I hear you, sometimes schedules get broken.

I'm also thinking of trying going right from primary to serving keg. Basically two seperate charges of dry-hop then crash and keg. So grain to glass in a little over 2 weeks like you said but skipping a vesel. We will see how clear it comes out. I'm going to follow this beer with a similar one and may try something different to compare.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16610 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

I'm also thinking of trying going right from primary to serving keg. Basically two seperate charges of dry-hop then crash and keg. 

This is what I have been doing but to be honest I think I need to change it. I have been doing the double dry hop like Drez with the first at the tail end of fermentation. I think the only thing I have noticed from double dry hopping it is getting less bang for my buck in hops, especially if I am using a moderate to low flocking yeast. I am becoming more convinced that I am losing a good bit of dry hop flavor to yeast dropping out. I have had too many beers now taste incredibly good for the first several days in the keg only to have them peter-off more than I would like. They are perked up nicely if I add more dry hops to the keg but I'd prefer not to do this. I think I am going to change this to a different process, one similar to Drez's and see what happens. Not entirely sure on process yet but something like what follows.

1. Ferment out the beer with rising temp schedule as usual.

2. Cold crash/ get the beer cold (24 hrs.).

3. Closed transfer to keg with Biofine.

4. Allow a few days to clarify (48 hrs).

5. Either add bagged dry hops to the keg or CO2 push to a new purged keg with dry hop bag already in it.

Edited by nettles, 20 August 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#17 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

This is what I have been doing but to be honest I think I need to change it. I have been doing the double dry hop like Drez with the first at the tail end of fermentation. I think the only thing I have noticed from double dry hopping it is getting less bang for my buck in hops, especially if I am using a moderate to low flocking yeast. I am becoming more convinced that I am losing a good bit of dry hop flavor to yeast dropping out. I have had too many beers now taste incredibly good for the first several days in the keg only to have them peter-off more than I would like. They are perked up nicely if I add more dry hops to the keg but I'd prefer not to do this. I think I am going to change this to a different process, one similar to Drez's and see what happens. Not entirely sure on process yet but something like what follows.

1. Ferment out the beer with rising temp schedule as usual.
2. Cold crash/ get the beer cold (24 hrs.).
3. Closed transfer to keg with Biofine.
4. Allow a few days to clarify (48 hrs).
5. Either add bagged dry hops to the keg or CO2 push to a new purged keg with dry hop bag already in it.

So you don't plan to add any dry-hops until you have cold crashed and transfered to keg?

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16610 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

So you don't plan to add any dry-hops until you have cold crashed and transfered to keg?

Yeah. I think that is what I want to try. But I could be talked out of it if there is a compelling reason.

Edited by nettles, 20 August 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

Yeah. I think that is what I want to try. But I could be talked out of it if there is a compelling reason.

I think there is documentation that when hops interact with yeast in suspension certain flavor compounds are created.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

on a lot of my beers this is how the dry hop on keg #2 (2 5 gallon kegs per batch) goes.  the beer is already clear and the hops go in.  the hoptitude is usually great and lasts a long time.

I think there is documentation that when hops interact with yeast in suspension certain flavor compounds are created.

I believe you are correct.  it's really unfortunate that I suspect the yeast dropping out takes some of that awesomeness with it.  if I was having a party where the whole keg was going to get killed I would def be hopping the shit out of the beer at every step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users