Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

Hey Fellas,
I weighed out some Strisselspalt last night for a Saison and I'm not sure if it's turned or if it's what I should expect. It didn't smell cheesy or moldy. It didn't really smell bad, just different. I figured the hops might open up during the night and offer something more pleasant this morning but not really. I've never used Strissel before so I don't have any reference point.

If I had to describe it, I think mild moth ball, very mild. Any thoughts? I'm skeptical in their use.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:11 AM

Tough one. I've never smelled bad hops before. Never had a batch that was bad, cheesy or moldy so I am not a good reference. Do you leave your weighed-out hops open and at room temp all night before you brew?

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

I typically do leave them out the day before or even a few days. Love the way the pantry smells when you open it up. Note; all my hops are kryo'd in the freezer.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

I typically do leave them out the day before or even a few days. Love the way the pantry smells when you open it up. Note; all my hops are kryo'd in the freezer.

While this may not do anything bad it certainly isn't doing anything good for you.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

I can't see any huge issue, what do you got? My routine is to measure my hops and put them into little Dixie cups then all the cups go into a tied plastic grocery bag. The smell permeates.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

I can't see any huge issue, what do you got? My routine is to measure my hops and put them into little Dixie cups then all the cups go into a tied plastic grocery bag. The smell permeates.

if ideal storage is cold and with no O2 it seems you are aging the hops overnight.  I often measure hops out ahead of time but I do keep them in the freezer in ziplock bags.

eta:  it's probably almost nothing but I guess it just seems like if you can smell the hops that means you are losing those delicious volatiles you'd like to save.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 21 August 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

if ideal storage is cold and with no O2 it seems you are aging the hops overnight.  I often measure hops out ahead of time but I do keep them in the freezer in ziplock bags.

eta:  it's probably almost nothing but I guess it just seems like if you can smell the hops that means you are losing those delicious volatiles you'd like to save.

I do similar if I measure they out the day ahead but I will put them in foodsaver bags and seal them.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

I do similar if I measure they out the day ahead but I will put them in foodsaver bags and seal them.

drez, taking my paranoia to a new level!  now I don't feel so bad :lol:

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

Perhaps it won't be noticed in the final product but best practice is to keep them cold and O2 free. The smells you get the next morning are the aromatics that have left your hops behind. I have heard stories of chinook turning to cat pee in a short period of time exposed to room air.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

Good advice guys.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

I don't think one day out in the open is going to make a difference.  Breweries don't store their hops in inert environments.  They're in big air permeable bales that sit out in the open until they're ready to use, then the open bale just sits out until it's used up.  Sierra Nevada hop room:

8036728452_cf1424dda4_b.jpg

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

I'm talking 3 days tops in a bag in the pantry. Reminds me of Gainesville green from my earlier years :)

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

If you don't like the smell then don't use them. I had some funky smelling Tett a while ago and I chucked it.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

I know. Going to give it a sniff after work and make the call. Motueka will be the back up. With that, there's sure worse problems to have :)

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

If you don't like the smell then don't use them. I had some funky smelling Tett a while ago and I chucked it.

This.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

I don't think one day out in the open is going to make a difference.  Breweries don't store their hops in inert environments.  They're in big air permeable bales that sit out in the open until they're ready to use, then the open bale just sits out until it's used up.  Sierra Nevada hop room:

8036728452_cf1424dda4_b.jpg

Are the lupulin glans broken open or not? How cold is the room? Probably not apple to apples. I believe most places that use pellets do not store them warm or exposed like this.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

the german tett from hops direct, 2013s? I tossed some too

Strisselspalt should smell like a mild Saaz, IIRC

Edited by miccullen, 21 August 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

I agree. I had some Hallertau that had a funky smell. I went ahead and used them in a pale bock and ruined the whole beer. I mentioned in another thread that they were sort of "dirty gym sock" or vegetal and it was not pleasant at all. I am more careful now and when I'm weighing them out I give them a good sniff. If anything seems off, I try to use something else. Also, I leave all of my pellets in the freezer until I need them, then measure them out and put anything else back in the freezer.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

Came home last night and whiffed the Strissel and much to my happiness it smelled very pleasant. Brewed with it this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users