#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Get on it. A local brewery has a seasonal: Tis the Saison on tap right now that has 6% rye and pale malt with some type of caramel. They state no sugar. The hop is Mandarina Bavaria. It comes in around 9% and it is absolutely delicious. Has me inspired to use some rye next time around.

https://www.26brewing.com/?ao_confirm

I was afraid to use crystal which is why I went with the pale ale malt (instead of pale malt).  I've never seen a saison that uses pale ale malt for pretty much all of the base so hopefully doing that isn't a mistake.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 05 January 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

I like this and have some Saison yeast sitting around.  I have been trying to refine some brewery issues and looking for beers that I can brew now but can age a bit and I think this could work out ok.  I think i would use Pils and some wheat in mine because I have both in spades and think it would work pretty good.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Against the FA norm, I appreciate a certain amount of caramel/crystal in a festive Saison. No harm, no foul.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

I like this and have some Saison yeast sitting around.  I have been trying to refine some brewery issues and looking for beers that I can brew now but can age a bit and I think this could work out ok.  I think i would use Pils and some wheat in mine because I have both in spades and think it would work pretty good.

that's the other thing - is there a reason most saisons are pils based?  is it b/c that pils character is part of what we all expect and enjoy?  or could a US 2-row based malt get the job done? 

Against the FA norm, I appreciate a certain amount of caramel/crystal in a festive Saison. No harm, no foul.

perhaps I'll adjust a little bit.  maybe a little bit of light crystal.  maybe replace some of the pale ale with pils.  it would certainly up the complexity.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:41 AM

As for the two row

I would have used all 2-row, but I ran out. We'll have a silo of it at Modern Times, and in a yeast-driven beer like this I don't think it will have a negative impact. In a really clean beer I'd be more apt to go out of my way to use imported Pilsner malt.

https://www.themadfe...st-batch-2.html

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

interesting point.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

In general I much prefer the flavor of pils to standard 2-row. It looks like you are using Pale Ale malt though? I like Pale Ale malt but having never used it in a saison you will have to let me know how it is!

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

In general I much prefer the flavor of pils to standard 2-row. It looks like you are using Pale Ale malt though? I like Pale Ale malt but having never used it in a saison you will have to let me know how it is!

pale ale yes.  I was thinking it would be an interesting take.  or maybe there is a reason I haven't seen anyone do it :P

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

pale ale yes.  I was thinking it would be an interesting take.  or maybe there is a reason I haven't seen anyone do it :P

There is one here that using Maris Otter.  I think you will be fine with Pale Ale malt.  I say brew with what you have.

Clara is a Grisette with Pale Malt

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

I have pils, pale and pale ale.  I also have GP!

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

Stick with the Pale Ale malt. As suggested above you may not even notice it with saison yeast and all that motueka going on.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

Stick with the Pale Ale malt. As suggested above you may not even notice it with saison yeast and all that motueka going on.

:cheers:

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

it will make for a simple recipe.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

So some updates to what I'm thinking now.  I guess it will be winter/spring farmhouse ale  ;)

OG: 1.055ish

IBU: 30ish

SRM: golden

? lbs CMC Pale Ale Malt (not exactly traditional)

3 lbs Rye Malt

mash @ 150F, single infusion

get calcium up to 50ppm mostly with gypsum, maybe a little calcium chloride (suflate will very slightly dominate but neither will be particularly high)

rest of the pH gets adjusted with lactic acid in the mash, followed by a minimal sparge (mashing thin!)

Hops:

? oz Motueka @ 30 mins

1 oz Motueka @ 5 mins

2 oz Motueka @ 0 mins

3 oz Motueka hopstand for 30 mins

2 oz Motueka dry hop per 5 gallon keg

ferment on bell saison yeast (2 packets)

I think I might lower the IBUs a smidge.  not sure though.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

I think I might lower the IBUs a smidge.  not sure though.

why?  30 sounds OK to me

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

why?  30 sounds OK to me

I suspect this beer will be super dry.  I was thinking of just going to 25 IBU.  I guess I might not be able to tell the diff anyway :P

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

You probably wont notice much difference between 25-30, or at least I dont think I would. One thing to consider is if you notice any IBU/bitterness drop-off with your second keg. Your beers tend to hang around longer than mine but I dont know if this is something you experience or not. If so maybe err toward 30IBU?

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

You probably wont notice much difference between 25-30, or at least I dont think I would. One thing to consider is if you notice any IBU/bitterness drop-off with your second keg. Your beers tend to hang around longer than mine but I dont know if this is something you experience or not. If so maybe err toward 30IBU?

I tend not to notice that even though it should be happening.  good point though.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

The plan is to brew this on Friday.

I worked out the recipe basically as outlined above.  One minor change I made was to use my last 14 oz of acid malt in place of some of the pale ale malt.  I figured this would be a good beer to use it on before I started just using lactic all the time.

I'm going by memory here but I think the sulfate and chloride ended up around 70 ppm and 80 ppm respectively.  calcium was around 60 ppm.

I'm thinking I won't do my typical overnight mash on this one b/c I have a doctors appointment in the late morning.  So instead I'll just mash in before I head to that and then finish when I get back.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:25 AM

I have plans to brew this weekend and it will either be a rendition of this or an Amarillo wheat.

Mine is a bit different in both the grist and I only have a Bittering charge, a whirlpool addition and Dryhop addition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users