21 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Trying to figure out how to hop this one.

The plan is:

OG - 1.043

80% Red X ( 8#)

20% Rye (2#)

I plan to keep the water on the balanced side

Ca-68

SO4-78

Cl-64

pH-5.45

Yeast will be Mangrove Jacks M-07 British Ale.  I guess it is similar to WLP007 Dry English

As for the hops I am at a loss.  I have two different plans at the moment.  The first is to go with Vangaurd hops, 28g@60 and 42g@10 and the other option is Ahtanum 28g@30,28g@5 and 56g@ flameout steep for 15 minutes.

Other hops that are a possibility are: Nugget, Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer, Willamette and Styrian Golding.

SO hit me with some ideas.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

Interesting beer. I think that grain bill has some really good potential at the gravity your brewing it. Hops kinda depend on what your looking for. First look at it I would probably go all Mt. Hood late. But I would think Mt. Hood and some Willamette and/or Styrian Goldings in backup role could be nice if you wanted a tilt toward the earthy/English side. Or Mt. Hood and Ahtanum for a back up to tilt toward the citrusy side. Take it all with a grain of salt as I have limited experience with most of these hops and know nothing about Vanguard. I don't know that yeast either but I really like 007 so if they perform the same that will be nice. FWIW I recall Denny telling JP that english yeast and rye don't go together. JP did a split batch and came later posted that he agreed with Denny's assessment on that. 

Where is JP anyways?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:06 AM

Interesting beer. I think that grain bill has some really good potential at the gravity your brewing it. Hops kinda depend on what your looking for. First look at it I would probably go all Mt. Hood late. But I would think Mt. Hood and some Willamette and/or Styrian Goldings in backup role could be nice if you wanted a tilt toward the earthy/English side. Or Mt. Hood and Ahtanum for a back up to tilt toward the citrusy side. Take it all with a grain of salt as I have limited experience with most of these hops and know nothing about Vanguard. I don't know that yeast either but I really like 007 so if they perform the same that will be nice. FWIW I recall Denny telling JP that english yeast and rye don't go together. JP did a split batch and came later posted that he agreed with Denny's assessment on that. 

Where is JP anyways?

I have been wondering where he is also.  Though about his lack of posting the last couple of week.  I assume the English yeast and rye is because of the esters?  My plan was to start the fermentation about 62 to try and suppress them as much as I can.  Mt. Hood does keep popping up iin my head as an option.  Vangaurd seems to be similar to Hallertau or Saaz from my quick research.

As for what I am looking at for this beer... Good question and all I can say is I want something that is not over the top hoppy, I have enough of those, easy drinking and will work well with the cooler fall temps. 

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

wish I could help but I don't know enough about most of those hops.

the malt looks good though.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

wish I could help but I don't know enough about most of those hops.

the malt looks good though.

Suggest a hop .. I bet I have it :)

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

Here it is.

https://www.brews-br...c/80857-rye-pa/

As for what I am looking at for this beer... Good question and all I can say is I want something that is not over the top hoppy, I have enough of those, easy drinking and will work well with the cooler fall temps. 

Willamette screams easy fall drinking to me. 30 IBU of something else and 50g Willamette @whirlpool. Done.

Or you could go all Mt. Hood…. :P

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Suggest a hop .. I bet I have it :)

I like to use styrian golding for bittering.  I'm not sure why.  if not that probably nugget.

I agree that willamette is great for a beer like this.  If anthanum is slightly citrusy as mentioned I might put a little of this in with the Willamette.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

I like to use styrian golding for bittering.  I'm not sure why.  if not that probably nugget.

I agree that willamette is great for a beer like this.  If anthanum is slightly citrusy as mentioned I might put a little of this in with the Willamette.

I do like how Willamette and Cascade work in Smokey brown.  I can see Ahtanum playing similar, and that is a good thing.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

I do like how Willamette and Cascade work in Smokey brown.  I can see Ahtanum playing similar, and that is a good thing.

Under-appreciated combo. Always reminds me of some of the tastier beers from the craft beer push of the early 90's. A retro combination of sorts.

Edited by nettles, 24 August 2015 - 12:00 PM.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

Under-appreciated combo. Always reminds me of some of the tastier beers from the craft beer push of the early 90's. A retro combination of sorts.

def a classic.  also Willamette and cent is great.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

I have brewed a beer with that exact malt bill. But I went in a slightly different direction and used all mosaic and citra with 1450. Good beer, one that I plan to brew again someday.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

I have brewed a beer with that exact malt bill. But I went in a slightly different direction and used all mosaic and citra with 1450. Good beer, one that I plan to brew again someday.

Well, you should know that one of those things will not happen in my beer :)

what did you mash at?

#13 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

Well, you should know that one of those things will not happen in my beer :)

what did you mash at?

Will have to check notes later. If I brewed again I would probably change yeasts.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

I wonder how this grainbill would work as a saison? I have a package of Belle in the fridge and the saison popular motueka hops in the freezer.

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

So I mashed at 150. But I do like the saison idea. I haven't made one in a while but my last one was a Rye and I really liked it. Used Belle as well.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

I wonder how this grainbill would work as a saison? I have a package of Belle in the fridge and the saison popular motueka hops in the freezer.

My guess is good. Maybe mash a little warmer with that yeast and OG of 1.043?

Sniff sniff...Do I smell a split batch?

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

My guess is good. Maybe mash a little warmer with that yeast and OG of 1.043?

Sniff sniff...Do I smell a split batch?

Agree on a warmer mash temp, definitely. I would say no on the split batch seeing all the red-x I have on hand is 8#,my plan was to use it up. Now I just need to decide on a direction!

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

Now I just need to decide on a direction!

So many beery ideas and so few beers that can be brewed!

#19 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:10 AM

So many beery ideas and so few beers that can be brewed!

No kidding. I brew twice a month and I can't keep up with the list of things I want to try. And new things just keep getting added.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:42 AM

stealin' my ideas I see!  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users