27 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

This is a CYBI recipe for Black Sheep's Riggwelter from several years ago. Never had the beer but it sounds delicious and the recipe looks like something I would really enjoy. Been eyeing this one for a long time and figure it should be real nice for the change in weather (which seems to already be here.) Let me know your thoughts and if you've had the original beer as it is available in the US. Probably make this tonight or tomorrow morning. This may or may not get cask conditioned.

6 gallons

OG 1.056

SRM 19

IBU 36

80% Crisp MO

9% Flaked Wheat

6% Crisp C77

5% Crisp Pale Chocolate (225L)

Mash at 148F/40 and 158F/30

28g Challenger @60

25g EKG in whirlpool

WY1469 West Yorkshire Ale

-ferment at 66-67F

ETA: Water pH target 5.4 Ca-33, Na-50, SO4-57, Cl-80 

Edited by nettles, 24 August 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

Ah crap, move to recipe forum please!

#3 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

I've had a couple of their beers on cask at NERAX. This and the Best Bitter, I believe. Unfortunately, it's been a couple years and I can't remember any specifics other than that I remember that it was a brewery worth remembering. The recipe looks intriguing, though.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

I've had a couple of their beers on cask at NERAX. This and the Best Bitter, I believe. Unfortunately, it's been a couple years and I can't remember any specifics other than that I remember that it was a brewery worth remembering. The recipe looks intriguing, though.

Would love to be near a festival like that one. 

Boiling this now. Brauer, am I reading Kai's chart correctly? The mash for this beer was 2.67qt/#. I did 148F/35 and 158F/35 and I ended up with a pre boil of 1.050, higher than anticipated (but obviously I anticipated wrong.) Anyhow, that looks like essentially 100% conversion efficiency… *if* I am understanding this chart. No-sparge BIAB in case you didn't remember.

https://www.braukais...sion_Efficiency

ikslS6m.gif

I also entered the data in his spreadsheet and it spit out 103%. Probably as a result of assumptions made in the calculator about the grain used and moisture content.

ETA: Unrelated side note. We have talked about this before but I continue to see more intact husks with Maris Otter than I get with either American 2-row or continental pils. I wish I would have snapped a pic of this. 

Edited by nettles, 25 August 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

That is how I read that chart.  I am extremely jealous of your numbers.  Last week with my double crush and 145/158 I got .. wait for it .. wait for it .. 70%

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

That is how I read that chart.  I am extremely jealous of your numbers.  Last week with my double crush and 145/158 I got .. wait for it .. wait for it .. 70%

Well I guess I just want to make sure the numbers are correct but I think they are. That 100% is conversion efficiency, which after draining the bag/grain absorption came out to 80.9% into the kettle. Your 70% is into the kettle, no?

Also, if you are leaving that much sugar in the tun have you considered doing another runoff for starter worts?

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

It's definitely possible to get 100% conversion efficiency. It's the lautering where it decreases. Also, I'd bet that your water/grist ratio wasn't that exact. You're in the ball park, but probably a pint low, which is hard to notice.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

Well I guess I just want to make sure the numbers are correct but I think they are. That 100% is conversion efficiency, which after draining the bag/grain absorption came out to 80.9% into the kettle. Your 70% is into the kettle, no?

Also, if you are leaving that much sugar in the tun have you considered doing another runoff for starter worts?

Yes 70% into the kettle.  The odd thing is it is the same for batch with a braid, manifold or BIAB.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

Yes 70% into the kettle.  The odd thing is it is the same for batch with a braid, manifold or BIAB.

I always ask this so I apologize if you've answered it - what was your conversion efficiency?

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

I always ask this so I apologize if you've answered it - what was your conversion efficiency?

Going by memory it was about 90-92%

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

It's definitely possible to get 100% conversion efficiency. It's the lautering where it decreases. Also, I'd bet that your water/grist ratio wasn't that exact. You're in the ball park, but probably a pint low, which is hard to notice.

Actually the opposite. I used slightly more water. Beersmith told me to use 31.78 qts. of water which is where the 2.67qt/# came from. I'm not that anal so I used 32 qts (8gal.) Changes the actual ratio insignificantly to from 2.67qt/# to 2.69qt/#

Yeah I agree that seems quite odd.

Edited by nettles, 25 August 2015 - 08:38 AM.

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Would love to be near a festival like that one.

Boiling this now. Brauer, am I reading Kai's chart correctly? The mash for this beer was 2.67qt/#. I did 148F/35 and 158F/35 and I ended up with a pre boil of 1.050, higher than anticipated (but obviously I anticipated wrong.) Anyhow, that looks like essentially 100% conversion efficiency… *if* I am understanding this chart. No-sparge BIAB in case you didn't remember.

you're reading it right. There are some assumptions Kai's made to average things out for a theoretical average grist. All base malt grists might read a little high for example. The spreadsheet allows for more easily adjustable calculations, but might not make exactly the same assumptions, unadjusted. You can go through and get a true number with your analysis sheets, but it is close enough for brewing, in my opinion. 3% error is probably less than all the errors of our scales, vessels and hydrometer measurements, once combined.

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Yes 70% into the kettle. The odd thing is it is the same for batch with a braid, manifold or BIAB.

What's your dead volume?

Perhaps you should try monitoring your gravity over time, like JKor did, to try to diagnose where your system is stalling.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

What's your dead volume?

Perhaps you should try monitoring your gravity over time, like JKor did, to try to diagnose where your system is stalling.

If I batch sparge the dead volume is 1.5cups or 0.09375g.  When I do BIAB like this last time it is 0.

#15 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

If I batch sparge the dead volume is 1.5cups or 0.09375g. When I do BIAB like this last time it is 0.

Yeah, that seems impossible.

At 90+ conversion, you should be getting close to 70% without even sparging, I think.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, that seems impossible.

At 90+ conversion, you should be getting close to 70% without even sparging, I think.

And that is what I got for the BIAB that Morty asked about.  I would have to go home and look at numbers for my last sparged beer but I want to say it was around 85% conversion.  Grain crush does not seem to change the number either. 

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Drez, I am a bit ignorant of how a RIMS functions in practice so consider my question with that in mind. Is it possible the RIMS element is denaturing the enzymes prematurely? I wondered about that with Matt too (though I am not sure if his electric system is a RIMS or not) I wondered if Matt might be denaturing the more heat sensitive beta amylase resulting in his low attenuation numbers. Though it doesn't sound like attenuation has been an issue for you. This has likely been worked through by you or others but just kinda thinking out loud here.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Drez, I am a bit ignorant of how a RIMS functions in practice so consider my question with that in mind. Is it possible the RIMS element is denaturing the enzymes prematurely? I wondered about that with Matt too (though I am not sure if his electric system is a RIMS or not) I wondered if Matt might be denaturing the more heat sensitive beta amylase resulting in his low attenuation numbers. Though it doesn't sound like attenuation has been an issue for you. This has likely been worked through by you or others but just kinda thinking out loud here.

I feel bad derailing your thread!  Morty has brought that same issue up to me before and I have done batches where I did not use it.  My first batch of Holiday Hug was one, the thermocouple broke and I just went "old school" for that batch and still got 70%.  Same with my brewing before I went to the RIMS or HERMS system.  Back when i was just using a ice cube cooler to mash ala Denny I was only getting 70%.  I know I should just live with it but it really irritates me not being able to get it higher.

Attenuation has never been and issue for me, yet!

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

I feel bad derailing your thread!  Morty has brought that same issue up to me before and I have done batches where I did not use it.  My first batch of Holiday Hug was one, the thermocouple broke and I just went "old school" for that batch and still got 70%.  Same with my brewing before I went to the RIMS or HERMS system.  Back when i was just using a ice cube cooler to mash ala Denny I was only getting 70%.  I know I should just live with it but it really irritates me not being able to get it higher.

Attenuation has never been and issue for me, yet!

No derail, no worries. Just so odd how you always get 70%. Consistency is to be lauded though.

Still 70% at higher OGs or lower OGs than normal?

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

No derail, no worries. Just so odd how you always get 70%. Consistency is to be lauded though.

Still 70% at higher OGs or lower OGs than normal?

70% up to whatever BVIP is.  I think that may be the biggest beer I have made.

The BIAB IPA I did Friday night was 14#'s so it will be interesting to see if the red-x beer I do this week at 10#'s is still at 70% or higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users