#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

The last one is on the keg washer and will be done in 12 minutes. Five kegs tonight.  I invested 90 minutes to this with about 20 minutes hands on time.

And I realized that would have been about 260 bottles I would have cleaned.  I'm really glad I made that keg washer..........

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

I don't like cleaning them either but I guess I don't have enough of them to need the keg cleaner. Usually I am cleaning 3 or less when I get to them.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

I'm with you brother. But cleaning kegs is far more welcome than bottles. Cheers.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

I should have put a smiley with the OP.  Cleaning is never much fun but this was sooooo much easier than even using bombers.  I'm glad I made this a priority when I started brewing again.  I wonder sometimes how many quit homebrewing because bottling became such a pain.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

I should have put a smiley with the OP.  Cleaning is never much fun but this was sooooo much easier than even using bombers.  I'm glad I made this a priority when I started brewing again.  I wonder sometimes how many quit homebrewing because bottling became such a pain.

True. The other day I cleaned, sanitized and filled three kegs and then cleaned out the secondaries that all that beer was in. I looked around and said, "better than bottling!!". :lol:

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:27 AM

I have about 25 kegs that need cleaning. Next weekend it's gonna take me all damn day on saturday probably.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

I have about 25 kegs that need cleaning. Next weekend it's gonna take me all damn day on saturday probably.

25? You planning on kegging that much beer at once?

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

Cleaning kegs still sux.  Do you guys break down and clean inside the posts every time?

I made a keg cleaner but it's still a PITA.  I've really been wanting to build a more automated version, but I don't have enough kegs to justify it anymore.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Cleaning kegs still sux.  Do you guys break down and clean inside the posts every time?

I made a keg cleaner but it's still a PITA.  I've really been wanting to build a more automated version, but I don't have enough kegs to justify it anymore.

The cleaner I built has a perforated tube running the length of the keg and QDs pumping through both posts.  I haven't torn a keg down in a long time.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

I break them down every time even though I run hot water through the posts.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

The cleaner I built has a perforated tube running the length of the keg and QDs pumping through both posts.  

Same here, crap still gets caught up in the posts.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

I usually fill one with hot oxyclean and after a sit I'll connect an out to out line jumper and siphon to the next keg. Let that one sit and so on to the next one. Then they get rinsed, pressurized with starsan inside and starsan forced through both in and out lines. Occaisionally I will break down the posts and re-lube. The lid almost always gets fresh lube.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

25? You planning on kegging that much beer at once?

No, I wait until I have a bunch of them then a set up to do them all in one day. I need a manifold so I can use my air compressor to help empty the sankes of cleaner and rinse water. I found all the parts before, I just need to order them.

Each batch uses 2 full size 1/2bbl sanke kegs. Sometimes I move the beer into a 5 gal one in order to serve somewhere. I'm gonna sell a bunch of my homebrew kegs. They are a bigger PITA with regards to leaks and shit.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

No, I wait until I have a bunch of them then a set up to do them all in one day. I need a manifold so I can use my air compressor to help empty the sankes of cleaner and rinse water. I found all the parts before, I just need to order them.

Each batch uses 2 full size 1/2bbl sanke kegs. Sometimes I move the beer into a 5 gal one in order to serve somewhere. I'm gonna sell a bunch of my homebrew kegs. They are a bigger PITA with regards to leaks and shit.

is there any concern of the "air" coming out of a compressor having oil or something in it?  I really don't know much about it but I do have a big ass compressor.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:54 AM

is there any concern of the "air" coming out of a compressor having oil or something in it?  I really don't know much about it but I do have a big ass compressor.

Not sure about the answer but I use compressor air to purge my RIMS tube and never noticed any issues.  No sheen or anything on the wort of off flavor.  Granted, I am just using a small pancake style compressor for that task.

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:06 AM

is there any concern of the "air" coming out of a compressor having oil or something in it? I really don't know much about it but I do have a big ass compressor.

Not sure on that answer either, but a local brewery uses a small pancake style one for there oxygenation setup.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

Usually you add oil to the compressed air line to keep equipment oiled.  The compressor itself could definitely contribute some trace oil, though.  Moisture is probably more of a concern, for oxygenation anyway.  I'd imagine (hope) they use an inline air dryer and sanitary filter.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

Usually you add oil to the compressed air line to keep equipment oiled. The compressor itself could definitely contribute some trace oil, though. Moisture is probably more of a concern, for oxygenation anyway. I'd imagine (hope) they use an inline air dryer and sanitary filter.

I think they had something. But I remember thinking it didn't seem enough.

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Many pancake compressors are oilless in design (and also tend to be very loud), so the moisture would be the only real issue. I use an oilless compressor now, but I found one that is nice and quiet, which I am very happy for after the previous air compressors that I've used.

I dislike cleaning kegs too, though like you all said, it is still better than bottles! 

When I get lazy, I've built up over 20 kegs needing a cleaning as well. Sometimes I clean during a brew day, other times I find time at night to do a few here and there. I rarely remove the posts unless there is a leak or a problem.

I did build a keg washer, but I don't really use it that much. I find that for kegs that have build up, I really need to get in there with a brush, and then at that point, it is just easier for me to spray it out with the hose, rather than put it on the keg washer. When I was using the big 55 gallon HDPE barrel though, the keg washer definitely came in handy. If I were to use sanke kegs for anything, the keg washer would definitely be helpful for that as well.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

I rinse and fill with oxyclean. Then I use a toilet brush inside the corny. I soak the valve and poppets etc in oxy as well. If I have more than one to clean, then the oxy gets dumped into number 2 etc. Not the funnest activity but not a PITA. Edit; the brush was purchased new and dedicated to cleaning corny's hahaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users