gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Anyone else brewing?

I am doing the second boil of a double brew day. There was rain forecast for today, but it seems to be ok now, which I am happy for.

I did 12 gallons of a Tripel and 12 gallons of Liquid Stupid. This will give me a vintage set for Liquid Stupid from 2008, 2010, 2012, and now 2015. I have a keg from each of the previous batches.

This was also the first time I used my modified two stage counterflow chiller, and for the Tripel, it was able to chill all 12 gallons from flamout to 63F in 15 minutes, so it is working pretty well!

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Brewed yesterday.  Simple APA.  5% special roast, 95% 2-row,1272 slurry and 50 IBUs of Cascades at 15.

Using a postchiller is getting old but that's summer in KC.

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

Yea, I had to modify my process somewhat to make sure nothing would clog, and cleanup definitely took longer, but chilling in 15 minutes was definitely worth it. During this time of year in Georgia, I've had times where it took me over an hour to chill. That gets old really quickly.

I like that my chiller is one compact unit, but I now think it would have been more flexible if I had two  separate counterflow chillers, and just daisy chain them when I needed to. Ah well, too late now!

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

1bbl of oktoberfest in the fermenter yesterday. Two stage chilling took it down to 49 degrees. This will be my 4th German beer in a row. Next is hefe. Thinking about doppelbock after that.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

I'm out of town this weekend but I have a DIPA and a dry stout to keg when I get back, a few new sacks of grain to pick up and get a few brews planned.  I think it's time for some lagers, maybe octoberfest will be next...

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:27 AM

Mashing now on the Smokin' Guns recipe I just posted.

#7 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

1st brew since May 5th. Did up a busted American ESB - 2 row, c40, c80 Bittered with challenger and cluster, late additions of North down and EKG. Fermented with us05. Overshot my volume big time so it turned into a 2 hour boil. Otherwise went off without a hitch.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

1st brew since May 5th. Did up a busted American ESB - 2 row, c40, c80 Bittered with challenger and cluster, late additions of North down and EKG. Fermented with us05. Overshot my volume big time so it turned into a 2 hour boil. Otherwise went off without a hitch.

Welcome back!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

MLPA on Friday. I may have some time this next week for another lager but not sure yet. I have my next 5 beers planned out with 1056 and 2308: Flat Eath Dark & Hoppy Wheat beer, Amarillo-Citra Pale Ale, Munich Dunkel, Pale Bock, Two Women Country Lager clone.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:06 AM

Welcome back!

+1

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

Yes....finally!  Old school in the cooler.  Pretty basic IPA to try out some Azacca hops.

#12 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

1bbl of oktoberfest in the fermenter yesterday. Two stage chilling took it down to 49 degrees. This will be my 4th German beer in a row. Next is hefe. Thinking about doppelbock after that.

Nice, that is an efficient chiller! Are you using two plate chillers in series?

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

Most likely brewing Tuesday; an American red IPA, inspired by SN's Flipside IPA.

Picked up the fixins for my annual  batch of hard cider, which will hit the primary fermenter sometime tomorrow.

Gotta get my pipeline restocked pronto; had 2 kegs blow (1 today and 1 yesterday :covreyes: ).  Thankfully I have 2 batches ready to keg this week.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

Most likely brewing Tuesday; an American red IPA, inspired by SN's Flipside IPA.

Picked up the fixins for my annual  batch of hard cider, which will hit the primary fermenter sometime tomorrow.

Gotta get my pipeline restocked pronto; had 2 kegs blow (1 today and 1 yesterday :covreyes: ).  Thankfully I have 2 batches ready to keg this week.

Is Flipside still around or did they nix it?  I would like to see what you come up with.

#15 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Is Flipside still around or did they nix it?  I would like to see what you come up with.

I looked at SN's release calendar, and I didn't see Flipside getting a standalone release.

I'll post the deets post-brewday, once the beer is in the fermenter.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

Nice, that is an efficient chiller! Are you using two plate chillers in series?

Yup. First is a dudadiesel 60 plate with ground water running through. Next is a thermanator with ice water recirculating.

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

Yup. First is a dudadiesel 60 plate with ground water running through. Next is a thermanator with ice water recirculating.

Nice, what do you use to filter in the kettle, or do you whirlpool before you pump to the chiller?

That is one of my big reservations about moving to a plate chiller (or two to be able to chill in the Georgia summer), is I don't like waiting to whirlpool or having a possible filter clog, or if those don't work, clogging the plate chiller(s), and trying to get debri out of there.

What process are you using to clean the plate chillers?

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Yes....finally!  Old school in the cooler.  Pretty basic IPA to try out some Azacca hops.

Denny, are you using Azacca alone or in tandem with some other hops (flavor/aroma wise)? It's said to be a fruity one. I am going to use it sometime soon myself and  Ikeep going back and forth about using it as the lone hop late and dry or pairing it with some known hops... probably centennial and chinook.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

Nice, what do you use to filter in the kettle, or do you whirlpool before you pump to the chiller?

That is one of my big reservations about moving to a plate chiller (or two to be able to chill in the Georgia summer), is I don't like waiting to whirlpool or having a possible filter clog, or if those don't work, clogging the plate chiller(s), and trying to get debri out of there.

What process are you using to clean the plate chillers?

I used to have a bazooka type screen in my homebrew set up. Now I draw from the recirc port in the kettle which is above all the hops and hot break. I do get some stuff in the chillers that need to be cleaned out. I need a bigger pump in order to whirlpool. My buddies at Hidden Springs Ale Works have the same Stout Tank pilot system I have and they can whirlppol without any problems using a larger pump. The little march pumps can't handle and debris in the wort. The kettle has a dished bottom so I just usually let the wort sit for about 20 minutes while I'm finishing up with the sanitizing loop and usually that's enough time for things to settle in the bottom.

I run a hot (like 180 degrees hot) PBW recirculation through the chillers forward and backward, then a hot water rinse to clean the chillers.

Denny, are you using Azacca alone or in tandem with some other hops (flavor/aroma wise)? It's said to be a fruity one. I am going to use it sometime soon myself and  Ikeep going back and forth about using it as the lone hop late and dry or pairing it with some known hops... probably centennial and chinook.

I was able to test that hop and did a single hop IPA. Alone it has an odd flavor that we found (4 of us tested it) that resembled an english ale yeast ester. It's fruity and doesn't do well on it's own IMO. It does play well with other hops though. I believe Coppertail uses it in their unholy tripel. 

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:03 AM

Whoa!  That's exactly the combo I just used, plus Amarillo!    FWH with Cent, Chinook at 60, a buttload of Amarillo at 10.  Azacca will be dry hops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users