#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:34 AM

Hey Fellas, I have a packet of 34/70 and am considering using it in an Amber. With the swamp I can hold 60 degrees pretty effectively. My current est. gravity is 60. Would 1 packet be adequate? Would 58-60 F be okay?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

HERE is a link to the Fermentis site. 53-59° looks to be the ideal range so I would try your best to get some frozen water bottles or something available to keep it there. I didn't look at the pitch rate but my guess is that two packs would be better otherwise you risk "stress" along with esters if your temp is not low enough which could result in a mess. I use lager yeasts to make "amber lagers" all the time but I'm usually using liquid yeast and a fridge. Just as a side note... I like to use yeast at the low end of the range because my personal preference is 'clean beer' with as little esters as possible... but that's just me. Good luck brother Poptop.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

I'd just following the pitching rate recommended by the manufacturer.  you left out a lot of important information if you want someone to answer the question for you though.

volume?

gravity?

how many cells in a packet?

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

Thanks Fellas, I'll do a little more research and return. My est OG is 60 on a 5 gal batch fwiw.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 01 September 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:35 AM

Check with Chils, I know he's used it in many a steam beer. Amber could be a steam right?!?!

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

I tried to figure this out for you but it's not making sense.

the spec sheet says 6B cells per g so that 11.5g packet should have 69B cells.  I really thought those packets had more cells than that.

for a lager of that volume and gravity the yeast calculator says about 400B cells are required.  that would be a lot of packets of yeast which just doesn't make sense to me.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:55 AM

I grabbed the packet, you're right Sir. It doesn't make much sense. Changing gears.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

I don't use dry yeast, but I thought the going assumption was 20B cells per gram.

ETA:  I think you're using 10 gallons to get to 400B cells, too.  5 gallons would be more like 200B.  If the packet does have 20B/g, then he'd be right on the money.  If it's 6B, you'd want 3 packs.

Edited by JKor, 01 September 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:49 AM

I don't use dry yeast, but I thought the going assumption was 20B cells per gram.

ETA:  I think you're using 10 gallons to get to 400B cells, too.  5 gallons would be more like 200B.  If the packet does have 20B/g, then he'd be right on the money.  If it's 6B, you'd want 3 packs.

check the spec link that VT posted above.  says 6B/g.  I'm not saying it's right but that's what it says.  eta:  I guess that is guaranteed min but it's more like 20B/g.

also the 400B was based on "lager" on the yeast calc.  if you go with "ale" it's more like 200B.  maybe b/c he's fermenting warmish the 200B ale number is fine.

so given all of this one packet might be okay since it's a warm ferment.  2 might not hurt though.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 01 September 2015 - 07:52 AM.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

check the spec link that VT posted above.  says 6B/g.  I'm not saying it's right but that's what it says.  eta:  I guess that is guaranteed min but it's more like 20B/g.

also the 400B was based on "lager" on the yeast calc.  if you go with "ale" it's more like 200B.  maybe b/c he's fermenting warmish the 200B ale number is fine.

so given all of this one packet might be okay since it's a warm ferment.  2 might not hurt though.

Right, I used the ale number.  It's probably somewhere in between.

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

Hey Fellas, I have a packet of 34/70 and am considering using it in an Amber. With the swamp I can hold 60 degrees pretty effectively. My current est. gravity is 60. Would 1 packet be adequate? Would 58-60 F be okay?

To answer your temperature question, this yeast should do fine at this temperature, since the White Labs and Wyeast equivalents do fine there. You might get better results if you get it a little cooler than that, to pitch, then let it rise to 60F.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

To answer your temperature question, this yeast should do fine at this temperature, since the White Labs and Wyeast equivalents do fine there. You might get better results if you get it a little cooler than that, to pitch, then let it rise to 60F.

Today I am kegging a Blonde "Ale" made with one of those equivalents 2124. I kept it at 55-57 for 48 hrs. then about 60 for another day or two before I let it come up to 65F. Poptop, I can let you know how it worked out if you are interested or aren't brewing this right away.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

nettles, that would be nice, thank you.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

You could always try this to build up more yeast https://www.brews-br...s/#entry1859366

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

You could always try this to build up more yeast https://www.brews-br...s/#entry1859366

Yes good suggestion.  Forgot to mention that is exactly what I did. My 2124 starter was a few weeks old in the fridge and I wanted to make sure it was perked and ready to go. But I think that would get you the cells/viability you need with one packet of 34/70.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

IIRC if using a lager yeast in the ale temp range, you can pitch at ale pitching rates

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

IIRC if using a lager yeast in the ale temp range, you can pitch at ale pitching rates

Interesting. Seems the opposite of what I come up with intuitively but I have no experience in doing it.

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

The Cambridge Brewing company had a Bohemian Pilsner made as a Steam Beer, recently. It was fantastic. With that strain, I believe.

Edited by Brauer, 01 September 2015 - 03:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users