22 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

Having some WY1469 up and going I thought I would make a nice special bitter with some new (to me) ingredients. Going to give Amber Malt and Challenger a try. Looking for a nice balanced pint here. Decided to go without any crystal here but if anyone really thinks it needs it then suggest me a color to complement the Amber malt. Any and all guidance on the recipe and these 2 ingredients specifically are appreciated.

6 gallons

OG 1.048

SRM 11

IBU 32

96% Warminster Floor Malted MO

2.5% (4oz.) Fawcett Amber Malt

1.5% (2oz.) Midnight Wheat (for color)

Mash@ 150F

Challenger @60 min.

25g Challenger @0 min.

WY1469 West Yorkshire Ale.

Water will be pretty balanced maybe 40-50ppm each Cl and SO4.

Edited by nettles, 01 September 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#2 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

I think it's going to be brown. Just my experience from using victory and special roast I think the combo of the amber and the midnight wheat is going to make it brown.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

I think it's going to be brown. Just my experience from using victory and special roast I think the combo of the amber and the midnight wheat is going to make it brown.

Really? Even with that light amount? Was looking for med. amber/dk. copper color. Recipe estimates 11 SRM but maybe pull back the MW to an ounce?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:35 PM

I would start with 1oz of midnight wheat and see how the color is. You can always add more right before you pull the bag out to adjust.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

I would start with 1oz of midnight wheat and see how the color is. You can always add more right before you pull the bag out to adjust.

A very practical idea. I think thats what Ill do.

#6 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:50 AM

It looks tasty, either way. 2 oz of Roasted Wheat would put it at the lighter end of an Alt, in the Irish Red color range, from my experience with it in Alts and Irish Reds.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:09 AM

why would you say that?  assuming he used a recipe calculator to end up at 11 SRM that shouldn't turn out brown.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

why would you say that?  assuming he used a recipe calculator to end up at 11 SRM that shouldn't turn out brown.

yeah, I'd put it at a nice red copper, about a 10

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

Just to add to the discussion, I know on my system I seem to get more color than predicted.  I think for me it is the re-circulation.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

If I drop the MW from 2oz to 1oz. the predicted SRM goes from 11.6 to 9.2. Still in the ballpark for what I was looking for so I'll start with an ounce and add more if it looks too light. 

No thoughts on Amber malt or Challenger as used in the recipe?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

If I drop the MW from 2oz to 1oz. the predicted SRM goes from 11.6 to 9.2. Still in the ballpark for what I was looking for so I'll start with an ounce and add more if it looks too light. 

I have use a small portion of amber malt in my Holiday Hug recipe and have used some in other beers and it adds a nice color and a bit of flavor depth.  I think it will work fine in this beer.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

Style guidelines put the upper end of Special Bitter at 16 SRM.  

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:32 AM

Style guidelines put the upper end of Special Bitter at 16 SRM.  

yeah, it should be fine

#14 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

Just to add to the discussion, I know on my system I seem to get more color than predicted.  I think for me it is the re-circulation.

I think the color equations go a bit wonky with changes in efficiency. If you have low efficiency, you get less color, according to the formulas, but that probably doesn't hold unless your problem is poor lautering. Adjusting for low efficiency can tend to lead to a darker beer than predicted.

Nice combination, I'd say. That's Cavman's go-to British hop.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

I think the color equations go a bit wonky with changes in efficiency. If you have low efficiency, you get less color, according to the formulas, but that probably doesn't hold unless your problem is poor lautering. Adjusting for low efficiency can tend to lead to a darker beer than predicted.

Well, my efficiency is 70% so not great but not terrible and my color is usually darker than estimated.

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

Well, my efficiency is 70% so not great but not terrible and my color is usually darker than estimated.

At 15-20% lower efficiency than expected, you could assume 1-2 SRM darker than predicted in the gold to amber range. That would only affect the malts that you actually adjust for efficiency, though, so the color of Pale Ale and Munich Base Malts would predict poorly, but 2 oz of Chocolate Wheat is still going to be 2 oz of Chocolate Wheat.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:40 AM

At 15-20% lower efficiency than expected, you could assume 1-2 SRM darker than predicted in the gold to amber range. That would only affect the malts that you actually adjust for efficiency, though, so the color of Pale Ale and Munich Base Malts would predict poorly, but 2 oz of Chocolate Wheat is still going to be 2 oz of Chocolate Wheat.

some people adjust non-base malts for efficiency.  I do not but some do.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:36 AM

some people adjust non-base malts for efficiency.  I do not but some do.

I generally don't either.

Good to hear. There's still so many hops (malts too) I want to familiarize myself with.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

FINALLY brewed this today. I need to learn to accurately adjust for the increased gravity I am getting from these alpha rests. I ended up mashing 149F/40 and 160F/30. Gravity was 4 pts. high so I guess we're technically in ESB territory here. Glad I mashed relatively low. Anyhow I adjusted my whirlpool Challenger to 32g FWIW. All in all an easy brew day.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

A sampling tells me 2 things. First it is very tasty, second it is 1.011. Looking in my beer fridge tells me I don't have room for it right now so into the cask it goes tonight. I'll be excited to tap that cask in 2-3 weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users