#1 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

I'm off to Yakima for Hop and Brew school at Hop Union.  3 days of hoppy, beery fun!  Let me know if there are any questions you want me to look into.  I'll have a chance to talk to growers as well as Hop Union people.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

Can you pick me up a bale of columbus?

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

I'm off to Yakima for Hop and Brew school at Hop Union.  3 days of hoppy, beery fun!  Let me know if there are any questions you want me to look into.  I'll have a chance to talk to growers as well as Hop Union people.

Thanks you, here's mine...

Can you get a thick hop/polyphenol haze from dry hopping cold around 33-34F? 

Edited by nettles, 02 September 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

Good Question

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

Can you pick me up a bale of columbus?

Sure....gimme yer credit card number and let me know when you'll be by to pick it up!

Thanks you, here's mine...

Can you get a thick hop/polyphenol haze from dry hopping cold around 33-34F?

I'll ask, but my experience is no.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I would really appreciate it if you are able to get an answer Denny, so thank you. Im asking because my N=2 with it is extreme haze that does not settle. Both beers used 007 and were brilliantly clear before the hops were added to the cold beer in the keg. The second one had even been clarified with Biofine before the hops were added. On no other beers have I seen this with dry hopping but normally I add them while the beer is warm.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

I always put the dry hops intp a keg of room temp beer and then chill it to about 35. I've never seen what you're asking about. But I'll do my best to ask someone more knowledgeable.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

I always put the dry hops intp a keg of room temp beer and then chill it to about 35. I've never seen what you're asking about. But I'll do my best to ask someone more knowledgeable.

Ive done it just like that with no problems. It was adding to beer already chilled where this happened. I should also note the only other common thread in these two beers is that Citra was involved in both beers... if it matters for some reason. The Citra was from different sources and harvest years. And thanks again Denny.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

Ive done it just like that with no problems. It was adding to beer already chilled where this happened. I should also note the only other common thread in these two beers is that Citra was involved in both beers... if it matters for some reason. The Citra was from different sources and harvest years. And thanks again Denny.

I had a chance to talk to Stan Hieronymus about your question. He said he hadn't ever heard of that effect and doesn't really have any ideas about it. He suggested doing some experiments with other hops to see if it's consistent. In particular, he suggested trying with Mittelfruh since Citra is 50% Mittelfruh. Sorry I couldn't find put anything else.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

I had a chance to talk to Stan Hieronymus about your question. He said he hadn't ever heard of that effect and doesn't really have any ideas about it. He suggested doing some experiments with other hops to see if it's consistent. In particular, he suggested trying with Mittelfruh since Citra is 50% Mittelfruh. Sorry I couldn't find put anything else.

Wow not sure I could think of a better person to ask! Thanks a million for asking. An additional dose of Biofine appears to have had little benefit in clearing this up. Not sure how to explain it.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

Sure....gimme yer credit card number and let me know when you'll be by to pick it up!

You mean they won't give the legendary Denny Conn a bale of hops and an unlabeled shipper? I don't know about these folks... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users