4 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

I plan to do a RIS this weekend and I have been thinking about capping the mash with a couple pounds of 2-row, adding in enough water so that I can get out the pre-boil volume for a 5g batch and setting my RIMS to 120* and letting it go for 36+ hours.  I plan to make the MLT as airtight as I can to avoid oxygen. What am I overlooking here?

The rest of the plan is to run off bitter it a little and then hit is with some brett blends and see what happens.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

Are you boiling it?

If boiling could you run off first into a CO2 flushed carboy and let it go sour there before returning to kettle for boiling? Any way to heat that carboy appropriately? I have had success with a seed starting heat mat wrapped around the carboy and controlled by STC-1000.

Any opportunity for O2 ingress when it's being pumped through the RIMS?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

Are you boiling it?

If boiling could you run off first into a CO2 flushed carboy and let it go sour there before returning to kettle for boiling? Any way to heat that carboy appropriately? I have had success with a seed starting heat mat wrapped around the carboy and controlled by STC-1000.

Any opportunity for O2 ingress when it's being pumped through the RIMS?

yes, it will be boiled for a standard 60 minute boil.  I have no carboys that are large enough to hold the pre-boil for a 5g batch.  I am sure there is always a way for o2 to get in with the pumping but I assume it would be a very small amount.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

2 smaller carboys? Less than 60 min boil? Less than 5 gallon batch? Just thinking out loud here to help avoid the potential for butyric pukes from O2 exposure.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

I vote no boil. Pasteurize and call it good. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 04 September 2015 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users