#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

Taking off Ken's thread on getting a batch to glass as fast as possible, I'm looking at how I might go from heating strike water to pitching as fast as possible.

I'm going to try a couple of no sparge batches this weekend, while aiming at getting through the process quickly.  I hoping for sub-3hr batches, maybe as low as 2:40 if everything is smooth.

Estimated schedule would be as follows:

0:00 measure out water, start heating

0:10 Dough in

1:10 Drain MLT

1:25 On boil

2:25 Flameout/start chill

2:35 at pitch temp/oxygenate

2:40 Pitch

Obviously the big chunks are the mash and boil time.  I recently did a batch where I added all the hops in the last 12 minutes of the boil.  It was a spur of the moment thing, but I was really happy with how the beer came out.  It was some kind of hoppy brown ale and even adding all the hops very late I was able to get a lot of IBUs.  Guesstimating, it's probably 50-60 IBU.  If I could get this process dialed in, perhaps reducing the boil time to 20.  That knocks a good percentage off the batch time.  Based on the timing above it would bring total time down to 2:00 even.

The mash is the other place to optimize.  Historically, I've seen my conversion (stable Brix measurement) take 45-60 minutes in the low 150s.  If I got all the conversion parameters dialed in perfectly, maybe get down to a 40 minute mash?  If I could do that, the full batch from strike heating to pitch could be as low as 1:40.

I have to say it seems impossible, given that I'm usually totally disorganized and running around trying to get everything measured/ready as the brew is going.  Even my smaller batches have been taking 5 hours to this point.  It would be great to have a house IPA that I could brew up in less than 2 hours.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

The key to the faster boil will be a more vigorous one that still throws off plenty of SMM in a shorter time. 

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

done in 3:23 tonight. Not bad considering there were a few early hiccups and i extended the mash by 10 minutes. Oh, and I pulled the old classic 'trying to chill with the flame on'. Doh!

I'll see if i can beat my time tomorrow night.

Edited by JKor, 05 September 2015 - 10:19 PM.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

Gravity came ina few points high. I think less than expected grain abosrption and higher boiloff rate gave me the extra bump. My grain absorption was roughly half of what PM predicts. Likely due to giving the bed significant drain time.

#5 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

Interesting. What does PM use as a basis for absorption? 0.12 gal/#?

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Yes, 0.12.

A significant amount drained out in the 15, or so, minutes after the initial drain. Probably 2 quarts. I added that to the boil. I let it continue to drain overnight and almost nothing else came out. Maybe a cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users