#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

OK, so I don't brew often and when I do I copy someone's recipe. I didn't with this one because it's pretty basic. Below are screen shots from the app I just downloaded. You'll notice my grain bill is high because my efficiency is low. Just the way it is.

Not sure if I should use different specialty malt tor extra caramel flavor. I kinda just picked a random one. The grains available to me are HERE

To really give it the flavor it needs, I'm planning on caramelizing apple juice (with no preservatives) and adding it to the boil. I'll have to just kind of guess at how much. But since it's caramelized it shouldn't really ferment much (if at all). So the idea is that I get some good extra sweetness and apple flavor.  

ALL THOUGHTS AND ADVICE ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED! :)

Screenshot_2015-09-06-07-14-36_zpswy4nls

Screenshot_2015-09-06-07-14-40_zpsmicioe

Screenshot_2015-09-06-07-14-46_zps03mrwx

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:43 AM

If you can find boiled cider it might save you some time on reducing your own juice. Not sure which of those specialty malts will get you the prominent caramel flavor you are looking for so your guess is probably best with the C60. One other thing I thought of would to maybe switch out the American Ale yeast for a lower attenuating, malt accentuating english ale yeast and ferment it cold. Or go with WLP011 which is similar to the english yeasts in attenuation but very clean when fermented cold.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

I think this will be interesting but nothing like a caramel apple if that's what you are hoping for but it will be interesting.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 08 September 2015 - 06:24 AM.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63975 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:39 AM

I think the C60 or C80 will be a good choice.  Above that you're getting more raisiny.  I would also blend it with a light crystal, C10-C15, to help lend to the perception of sweetness.

Butter is a key flavor characteristic of caramel, so i'd use an english ale yeast that throws off a lot of diacetyl.  Maybe give Ringwood (WY1187) a try.  Cold crash it as soon as it hits FG to prevent the yeast from re-absorbing the diacetyl.

httpss://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=9

Caramel apples are all about sugar and sweetness. I think you're going to have to work really hard to get the level of sweetness required to create a flavor reminiscent of a caramel apple.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

I used some CaraAroma recently in a few beers and it has a pretty intense & caramelly character. Just a thought.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:46 PM

I just went through my specialties and there is also something called CaraBohemian which adds "intensified caramel flavor and aroma". There are so many Cara- malts out there now it's hard to keep up. But they all have their place and this may be a good application for them.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63975 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:57 PM

I was just fishing around in my specialty malt recently and noticed the CaraHell had a very intense aroma, much more aromatic the the equivalent lovibond 'crystal malt'. I wonder if weyermann is doing something different in their process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users