#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

I'm sure a lot of breweries do this, but I'd like to give it a shot.

I'm thinking about brewing a winter saison. probably a little bigger than I would normally do, in the 6.5% - 6.8% range. Saison tends to be fruity though and I'm trying to think what might be a good addition... candy canes. It's a little off the wall, but I think it might work. Now, how many candy canes will I need to give me the right mint flavor for a barrel?

Any ideas on yeast to use?

Malt bill? I'm thinking it will be an amber/darker saison, maybe with plenty of C-120 or Special B. Is the crystal going to play well with the yeast?

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers!

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

I threw up in my mouth a bit with the candy cane reference but I can tell you that a modest amount of 120 and B along with 565 make for a very nice Saison. My Dirty Penny has all 3 and finishes with a little Amarillo. A 7% beer that is very Holiday'ish. I'm doing something very similar in a couple weeks but using Achouffe (WLP 550). Sans candy canes :)

image.jpg1_zpskxyph7cy.jpg

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 14 September 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

All I expect from the candy canes is a bit of color, some mint, and a little dryness since they are sugar.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:21 PM

I had to look and there are some beers with mint, not that you are looking for (that). I'd have to think that you might not get much color from them. I also guess the mint flavor would be faint in x gallons. But you would get something from the sugar. The question is how much to add for what result. But you know this.......

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

Yeah. I'd probably have to cook down a crap load of them with some water and add like a gallon of candy cane syrup.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

still has some promise

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:54 PM

From a process perspective, i think you'd be much better off just adding peppermint extract after the ferment. Build the sweetness with the malt profile.

From a practical perspective, you might have trouble getting the peppermint aroma out of the equipment.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

From a process perspective, i think you'd be much better off just adding peppermint extract after the ferment. Build the sweetness with the malt profile.

From a practical perspective, you might have trouble getting the peppermint aroma out of the equipment.

I thought about that and the problem is that I'd have to experiment with the right ratio of mint and use the right kind. It's simple enough to just melt a bunch of candy canes.

I use stainless equipment. Shouldn't be a problem getting it cleaned.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

I thought about that and the problem is that I'd have to experiment with the right ratio of mint and use the right kind. It's simple enough to just melt a bunch of candy canes.

I use stainless equipment. Shouldn't be a problem getting it cleaned.

how would you know the right number of candy canes to use?  seems like a similar problem.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

how would you know the right number of candy canes to use?  seems like a similar problem.

I have a 2 gallon pot. I want 1 gallon of syrup. I estimate the volume of a single candy cane. Then I decide on a water to candy cane ratio. I'm thinking 1-3. So for a gallon of syrup I need 3qt of candy canes. I'm guessing it's around 1000 candy canes of the 2" size variety. 

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 15 September 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

I have a 2 gallon pot. I want 1 gallon of syrup. I estimate the volume of a single candy cane. Then I decide on a water to candy cane ratio. I'm thinking 1-3. So for a gallon of syrup I need 3qt of candy canes. I'm guessing it's around 1000 candy canes of the 2" size variety. 

that doesn't really answer the question.  you don't really know how much mint flavor you'll get out of each candy cane either.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

that doesn't really answer the question.  you don't really know how much mint flavor you'll get out of each candy cane either.

I can eat one and find out! :D

It already has the ratio of sugar/mint that I want. Is that enough for the beer? I think it will come through and not overpower the beer.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

I can eat one and find out! :D

It already has the ratio of sugar/mint that I want. Is that enough for the beer? I think it will come through and not overpower the beer.

I don't see how the ratio of sugar to mint even matters.  A candy cane is 99.9% sugar and 0.1% flavoring.  Whatever you were going to put in in candy canes you can just add as sugar, although i don't even really understand the point of adding sugar unless you want to really, really dry out the beer.  Why not use a good saison recipe and experiment with peppermint extract ratios after the beer is fermented?

Here's the ratio: LINK

1.5 tsp of peppermint extract to 4 cups of sugar.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

also can avoid the red40 food coloring.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

The whole mint thing has me nervous. But I'm anxious to see how this evolves all the same.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

I think the phenols could play well with the peppermint, but I think making the beer overly dry will not help the perception of 'candy cane' and potential make for a harsh flavor.  I think it could be good.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

The whole mint thing has me nervous. But I'm anxious to see how this evolves all the same.

Your nervous!?!? I'm thinking about making a barrel of this!

I'm tempted to just make a base saison and see what I get before I start adding flavors. My biggest fear is that it tastes like cough medicine. 

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

I wanted to ask earlier but I don't want to sound like a "fart in the dive mask." Buy why Saison yeast? [To me] it would seem that a neutral yeast would allow for the flavor of the cane. Saison yeasts have so much funkitude... and diversity.... a proverbial box of chocolates...

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

I wanted to ask earlier but I don't want to sound like a "fart in the dive mask." Buy why Saison yeast? [To me] it would seem that a neutral yeast would allow for the flavor of the cane. Saison yeasts have so much funkitude... and diversity.... a proverbial box of chocolates...

Thank you. Puts into words what has been going through my head.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

I have to agree I'm having a tough time imagining it but then again I'm pretty conservative on these things so I don't really count my opinion on what other people might like all that much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users