#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:07 AM

I have to agree I'm having a tough time imagining it but then again I'm pretty conservative on these things so I don't really count my opinion on what other people might like all that much.

I am too.

When I design a beer now, I have more than just the beer to think about. I'm practicing for when I sell it. That's the ultimate goal of any commercial brewer is to sell the beer. You can't lose track of that fact.

But, above all else I want to brew a great beer, every time. It's funny because in most areas of my life I am not a perfectionist, I'm fairly easy going and come as you are. But when it comes to beer, I want every one of them to be perfect and I don't stop brewing them until I have it just right. It's my white whale. I don't know why I hold beer with such a higher regard, but I do. It's borderline fanatical.

So this is my mantra...It must be beer. You can make "beers" that have amazing crazy flavors and textures but they lose their beeriness. They really are not beer anymore, they are malt liqueurs.

The title of this thread says it all. I want to brew 4 saisons a year - a saison for each season. This is a marketing thing. The beers need to be really farking good though. The candy cane thing intrigues me enough that it could go over well as a Christmas beer if and only if it satisfies my philosophies above... it must be beer and it must be a great beer.

So I'm going to work at making a beer that could be developed with the candy cane flavor in mind. If the beer is great first I'll only add the candy cane if I think it will enhance the beer, I will never make a beer as a gimmick, but that doesn't mean I can't work backwards towards creating a product that will sell well in the future. 

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 15 September 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

if you were really conservative I'd think you'd go with the holiday spices route.  seems a lot more safe.  so what are the other three seasons like?

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

I am too.

When I design a beer now, I have more than just the beer to think about. I'm practicing for when I sell it. That's the ultimate goal of any commercial brewer is to sell the beer. You can't lose track of that fact.

But, above all else I want to brew a great beer, every time. It's funny because in most areas of my life I am not a perfectionist, I'm fairly easy going and come as you are. But when it comes to beer, I want every one of them to be perfect and I don't stop brewing them until I have it just right. It's my white whale. I don't know why I hold beer with such a higher regard, but I do. It's borderline fanatical.

So this is my mantra...It must be beer. You can make "beers" that have amazing crazy flavors and textures but they lose their beeriness. They really are not beer anymore, they are malt liqueurs.

The title of this thread says it all. I want to brew 4 saisons a year - a saison for each season. This is a marketing thing. The beers need to be really farking good though. The candy cane thing intrigues me enough that it could go over well as a Christmas beer if and only if it satisfies my philosophies above... it must be beer and it must be a great beer.

So I'm going to work at making a beer that could be developed with the candy cane flavor in mind. If the beer is great first I'll only add the candy cane if I think it will enhance the beer, I will never make a beer as a gimmick, but that doesn't mean I can't work backwards towards creating a product that will sell well in the future. 

That all makes sense to me. BUT….. you need a 5 gallon pilot system for this stuff.

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

That all makes sense to me. BUT….. you need a 5 gallon pilot system for this stuff.

Nah. 

#25 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

if you were really conservative I'd think you'd go with the holiday spices route.  seems a lot more safe.  so what are the other three seasons like?

Overdone. Do we really need another all spice beer?

Spring will likely be a kettle soured saison that my buddy and I worked on together. It tastes a lot like a spicy mimosa.

Summer will be hoppy saison.

Fall will be an amber saison. Little maltier and a little less fruit character.

Christmas might end up being the candy cane saison.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

Overdone. Do we really need another all spice beer?

Spring will likely be a kettle soured saison that my buddy and I worked on together. It tastes a lot like a spicy mimosa.

Summer will be hoppy saison.

Fall will be an amber saison. Little maltier and a little less fruit character.

Christmas might end up being the candy cane saison.

for me?  no, b/c I don't like the holiday spiced beers.  I also don't think I'd like mint though so my opinion on that isn't worth much.  I guess your statement about not making a gimmick seems at odds to this type of beer.  by definition strange ingredients/flavors are kind of gimmicky to me.  again - this is all personal preference and not fact.

the other seasons all sound awesome though.  :cheers:

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

for me?  no, b/c I don't like the holiday spiced beers.  I also don't think I'd like mint though so my opinion on that isn't worth much.  I guess your statement about not making a gimmick seems at odds to this type of beer.  by definition strange ingredients/flavors are kind of gimmicky to me.  again - this is all personal preference and not fact.

the other seasons all sound awesome though.  :cheers:

Like I said, I'd only do it if it enhances the beer. Thus the decision to make a base beer first around having the possibility of a mint addition.

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

Schwanz-baby, where are you at with this design?

#29 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

Still in the thought process.

#30 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

If the candy cane idea doesn't pan out, what about a gingerbread saison?

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

If the candy cane idea doesn't pan out, what about a gingerbread saison?

We'll see. I need a base first and it's not looking like I'm gonna brew it for a couple months yet if at all depending on event schedules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users