#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

saw that this morning.  that link requires a sign in for me.  so how much market share would they have after this?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

saw that this morning.  that link requires a sign in for me.  so how much market share would they have after this?

Strange it let me go in and read it but now I also have to log in.

In the U.S., AB InBev and MillerCoors LLC—SAB’s joint venture with Molson Coors Brewing Co. —control 70% of the market by volume, according to Bernstein. Combining the two groups’ footprint in its current form would amount to roughly 30% of the world’s beer market, according to Euromonitor.

Hope this link is not the same https://www.wsj.com/...395363?mod=e2fb

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

so 70% by volume, do they mean liquid volume?  and then 30% by cash spent?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

Strange.  I am getting to them from FB so maybe that does something with not having to log in?  I am done posting links :)

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:44 AM

screen%20shot%202015-06-24%20at%201.19.4

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

So, Bud/BL sales are dipping and the solution is to buy another mega brewer because they own some slightly more upscale brands that appeal to younger beer drinkers?  Sometimes I just don't understand corporate mentality.  I should say, I'm confused by corporate mentality.  I understand it quite well.  They have some of the best brewing technology on the planet, they should just make better beer and grow their market share organically.  

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

So, Bud/BL sales are dipping and the solution is to buy another mega brewer because they own some slightly more upscale brands that appeal to younger beer drinkers?  Sometimes I just don't understand corporate mentality.  I should say, I'm confused by corporate mentality.  I understand it quite well.  They have some of the best brewing technology on the planet, they should just make better beer and grow their market share organically.  

it would be interesting to see just how awesome of a beer they could make if they put their minds to it.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

When you get very big as an organization you generally become slower to change, more risk averse, less innovative. It becomes easier to appease shareholders through acquisition and safer to grow by expansion, favorable regulation, and rent seeking. They are doing what most big corporations do. 

#10 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

it would be interesting to see just how awesome of a beer they could make if they put their minds to it.

I think the upper limit of their capability is probably Shock Top.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

I've said this for years. They could literally out compete the craft market if they put their minds to it. They have the best brewers, the best ingredients, the best equipment, best distribution, all the pieces are there. If they made a truly premium product and basically gave the finger to craft brewers they could probably dominate the market on two fronts.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

When you get very big as an organization you generally become slower to change, more risk averse, less innovative. It becomes easier to appease shareholders through acquisition and safer to grow by expansion, favorable regulation, and rent seeking. They are doing what most big corporations do.

Yeah, welcome to my life.

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

I think the upper limit of their capability is probably Shock Top.

Probably this i believe.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

I don't believe that.  Making good beer really isn't very hard.  Making commercial quality beer is mostly about quality control, which AB InBev is likely better at than every craft brewer in existence.  I worked at an AB brewery for an internship.  The quality data and procedures are ridiculous.  They have the firepower in house to crush the majority of craft breweries.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

I don't believe that.  Making good beer really isn't very hard.  Making commercial quality beer is mostly about quality control, which AB InBev is likely better at than every craft brewer in existence.  I worked at an AB brewery for an internship.  The quality data and procedures are ridiculous.  They have the firepower in house to crush the majority of craft breweries.

they don't have the fan base, the people who buy their products, prefer it the way it is

they could make the most consistent, perfect American Pale Ale, but with a label that says Bud/Miller the bubbas won't touch it, and the beer nerds won't either

Actually I sometimes wish at least one of the big boys would do just that  All malt, pale crystal, clean yeast, dry finish, with a clean sharp C hop bite, Ala SNPA, or Manny's Pale Ale.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

they don't have the fan base, the people who buy their products, prefer it the way it is

they could make the most consistent, perfect American Pale Ale, but with a label that says Bud/Miller the bubbas won't touch it, and the beer nerds won't either

Actually I sometimes wish at least one of the big boys would do just that  All malt, pale crystal, clean yeast, dry finish, with a clean sharp C hop bite, Ala SNPA, or Manny's Pale Ale.

if it was good it could easily supplant sam adams, stella, guinness, etc. at bars without a solid craft beer selection.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

if it was good it could easily supplant sam adams, stella, guinness, etc. at bars without a solid craft beer selection.

I think the hardest part would be just breaking into the market, whole lot of expectation to overcome either way, but yes, if done right, without compromise, it could catch on

Blue Moon and Shock Top demonstrate well enough that the big boys can market a "craftish" beer succesfully

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

Didnt they already try coming out with a Pale ale a few years back?

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

Didnt they already try coming out with a Pale ale a few years back?

Yeah it was american pale ale. It was lame and tailored as a crossover beer rather than really going for a great pale ale.

#20 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:54 PM

Yeah it was american pale ale. It was lame and tailored as a crossover beer rather than really going for a great pale ale.

Maybe they did go for a great pale ale and just failed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users