#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

Since jumping back into the brewing fray this summer with 3 gallon batches, I've been loving using buckets for fermenting.  Easy to use, easy to clean, easy to carry (built-in handle!), super cheap to replace.  The down sides are well established.  You can't see what's going on inside, getting the lid off to fuss around in there is a pain, they don't always seal, you need to siphon the beer out, etc.

Well, I'm enjoying using the buckets so much i decided to fix (most) of the problems with the venerable homebrewing bucket.  I've designed a lid that allows you to see the fermentation, creates a positive seal, is easy to remove and allows for closed transfers/sampling.  I'm going to throw a thermocouple probe in it, too.

I started with the prototype over the weekend.  Using a 12x12x1/2" thick piece of polycarbonate (less than $10 on ebay) I routed out a recess for a silicone gasket, rounded the square edges and created slots for the hold downs.  The hold downs consist of a 4-1/2" SS hex bolt, a couple of washers and 1/4"-20 handwheels.  The larger fender washer is bent to hook under the bucket stiffening ring (can't see that in the pic).  The plan is to put three ports in the lid, one for airlock/blowoff, one for temp probe and one for a liquid transfer diptube.  You can tap PC with NPT pipe taps, so I'm likely going to thread fittings directly into the lid.  I still may do bulkheads.  I'm not 100% decided on that.

Here's the beginnings:

2015-09-21%2000.29.50.jpg

2015-09-21%2000.30.08.jpg

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

Pretty cool idea and execution. I like it.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

neat!

I thought this was going to be about your mash tun.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

Oh yeah.  I should post something about that, too.  I've been making good use of the 'ol buckets.   :)

Edited by JKor, 21 September 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

Only thing I'd be worried about is knocking the holders off out of the slots. If you can put a bulge on the bottom of the screw handle and an accompanying trough in the glass that the bulge can sit in that would solve that problem. Or use holes instead of slots. 

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

I wanted the hold downs to be easy to remove, which is why i went with slots.  I figure the lid itself will be easier to handle without the hold downs attached.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

I wanted the hold downs to be easy to remove, which is why i went with slots.  I figure the lid itself will be easier to handle without the hold downs attached.

Any way to attach the hold downs to the bucket so they swing up into the slots? I'd worry about losing a hold down.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 21 September 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

Any way to attach the hold downs to the bucket so they swing up into the slots? I'd worry about losing a hold down.

I'm debating on that.  I'm sure I can figure something out if it proves to be an issue.

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

Use one of those rods that has a hook on one end and threads on the other.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

Use one of those rods that has a hook on one end and threads on the other.

That's actually what i was looking for at the hardware store and i couldn't find them. Odd, since my local has a great hardware selection.

#11 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

Just bend one edge of your fender washers and you've got some hooks.  I like your concept. 

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:53 AM

I'm fairly certain Home Depot has threaded J-Hooks.

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:13 AM

Just bend one edge of your fender washers and you've got some hooks.  I like your concept. 

Bam! If you can get a radius in them even better. 

#14 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

Bam! If you can get a radius in them even better. 

Yeah, you don't want to bend too much of the washer or the radius of the bucket will cause a problem.

Got a grinder? Grind 2 notches in the washer and bend the remaining tab. 

Any J-hook with a shank that long will also have a large hook which will likely require grinding as well. 

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:24 AM

They are bent, you just can't see it in the pic.  I was originally going for the threaded hook idea, but when I couldn't find them I decided to try the bent washer.  The nice thing about the bent washer is that it provides much more bearing surface and the bucket stiffening ring should hold up better over time as a result.

ETA:  I'm also going to tack the washer to the head of the hex bolt to make it more rigid and easier to tighten.

I started with the prototype over the weekend.  Using a 12x12x1/2" thick piece of polycarbonate (less than $10 on ebay) I routed out a recess for a silicone gasket, rounded the square edges and created slots for the hold downs.  The hold downs consist of a 4-1/2" SS hex bolt, a couple of washers and 1/4"-20 handwheels.  The larger fender washer is bent to hook under the bucket stiffening ring (can't see that in the pic).  The plan is to put three ports in the lid, one for airlock/blowoff, one for temp probe and one for a liquid transfer diptube.  You can tap PC with NPT pipe taps, so I'm likely going to thread fittings directly into the lid.  I still may do bulkheads.  I'm not 100% decided on that.

Edited by JKor, 22 September 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#16 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

Yup, I was going by the picture.

If I was starting this from scratch, I'd get some 1/4" to 5/16" threaded rod.I'd heat up one end of the rod and flatten it. I then form a tight hook out of that flat.  

Where are you buying your polycarbonate? 

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

I got the PC on eBay.  There's a few sellers on there selling what look to be cutoffs from larger glazing jobs.  ~$10/ea + shipping for a 12x12x1/2.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

I have the rest of the parts on the way.  The plan is to have a bulkhead in the center that will accommodate a blow off tube or "air lock".  I'm going to use a Ball Lock gas QD on this port so CO2 can be added to the system to push beer.  The liquid out line will have an adjustable height dip tube which will have a BL liquid QD attached.  I want the lid to be fully QD compatible for ease of use with transfers, etc.  

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

You should do a stainless bucket too!

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

41ZY-DQ-Y4L._SY300_.jpg

Edited by JKor, 22 September 2015 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users