#22 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:21 PM

Cantillon is the reason I am going to Brussels!

It's a neat place for sure! I was there in January in 2006 and missed the open brew day by one stinking day :(

#23 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Drez, I forgot to ask you about the alts you tried. I know you mentioned that Fuchshen was your least favorite. My buddy brought home alts from 3-4 of the breweries several times last year. I noticed that I didn't like some of them the first time and then loved them the second time. Fuchshen was that way. I distinctly remember the first time it was a sulfur bomb, then the next time it was delightful. Zum Uerge was the exact opposite. So I was wondering if you noticed that at all too.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

Drez, I forgot to ask you about the alts you tried. I know you mentioned that Fuchshen was your least favorite. My buddy brought home alts from 3-4 of the breweries several times last year. I noticed that I didn't like some of them the first time and then loved them the second time. Fuchshen was that way. I distinctly remember the first time it was a sulfur bomb, then the next time it was delightful. Zum Uerge was the exact opposite. So I was wondering if you noticed that at all too.

The Fuchschen we had was very bitter so much so it lingered a long time.  I am not sure if it was a bad keg, dirty lines ETC but this was at a pub and not the brewery.  The line/crowd at the brewery was crazy.  We did have the same beer at different places and they all had a bit of a different taste.  We had (in order):

Frankenheim

Fushschen

Schlosser

Diebels

Schlossel

and one other that had no Brewery name

They were all similar other than the Fuchschen had the bitterness I talked about and Schlossel was hoppier, a nice floral hop character that I liked but it was the end of the night and not sure I would have liked it as much if it was first.

I should also do this for the kolsch beers we had and I did comment on Facebook that Scion was my least favorite and that had changed on day 2.  I really enjoyed it better the second day at the brewery.  My top 3 Kolsch beers were Peters, Fruh and Scion in no order.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

have you made any kind of summary post about the trip with pics and thoughts etc?  no pressure or anything but it would be cool to see what you saw.  maybe what your favorite or memorable beers were, stuff like that.  I should really go to Germany at some point and visit my friend that lives there.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

have you made any kind of summary post about the trip with pics and thoughts etc?  no pressure or anything but it would be cool to see what you saw.  maybe what your favorite or memorable beers were, stuff like that.  I should really go to Germany at some point and visit my friend that lives there.

no, I have been meaning too do that and have thought about it several times.  My favorite beer was the second beer of the trip, Andechs Munich Dunkel, so good.  The helles there too was excellent as well.  I will summarize the trip with some pictures soon.. I also have to scan the Cantillon book and organize the pictures for my (sometimes) homebrew "club" and I will post that here as well.

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

The Fuchschen we had was very bitter so much so it lingered a long time.  I am not sure if it was a bad keg, dirty lines ETC but this was at a pub and not the brewery.  The line/crowd at the brewery was crazy.  We did have the same beer at different places and they all had a bit of a different taste.  We had (in order):

Frankenheim

Fushschen

Schlosser

Diebels

Schlossel

and one other that had no Brewery name

They were all similar other than the Fuchschen had the bitterness I talked about and Schlossel was hoppier, a nice floral hop character that I liked but it was the end of the night and not sure I would have liked it as much if it was first.

I should also do this for the kolsch beers we had and I did comment on Facebook that Scion was my least favorite and that had changed on day 2.  I really enjoyed it better the second day at the brewery.  My top 3 Kolsch beers were Peters, Fruh and Scion in no order.

For all the fuss that is made about german beers and their processes, the smaller breweries have the same problems with packaging and inconsistency that craft brewers here do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users