#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

It had come up in another thread, but I don't remember where.

I just registered 4 beers for the Northeast Regional comp.  I just like getting the feedback, myself.  A lot of it turns out to be questionable or outright garbage, but there are generally a few good tidbits.  

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

It had come up in another thread, but I don't remember where.

I just registered 4 beers for the Northeast Regional comp.  I just like getting the feedback, myself.  A lot of it turns out to be questionable or outright garbage, but there are generally a few good tidbits.  

how do you tell the good from the bad?

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

I have been burned a few times in small-ish to mid-sized around here, so I dont really bother any more. If I really want to compete I might enter nationals or one of the really big comps.  If I want honest feedback, there are plenty in my brew club that can provide high quality review.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

I really only care about flaws and not so much about adhering exactly to a style.

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

I'm only entering meads in a few select comps that I need to ship.  The only beer comp I'll enter is ours in Savannah since I don't have to ship it.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Used to all the time about 8-10 yrs ago. I found another outlet for people to hopefully enjoy my beer. 

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

how do you tell the good from the bad?

Some of it is just outlandish.  An example might be a judge referring using too much of 'ingredient X' when 'ingredient X' isn't even in the beer.  A lot of comps use unqualified judges, or some portion of unqualified judges, because it's tough to come by certified BJCP people.  You can usually tell when your scoresheet was done by someone like that.  Although I have had odd comments from BJCP certified judges as well.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

Some of it is just outlandish.  An example might be a judge referring using too much of 'ingredient X' when 'ingredient X' isn't even in the beer.  A lot of comps use unqualified judges, or some portion of unqualified judges, because it's tough to come by certified BJCP people.  You can usually tell when your scoresheet was done by someone like that.  Although I have had odd comments from BJCP certified judges as well.

as a judge I would avoid making statements like that b/c you never really know for sure how someone arrived at their final product.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

as a judge I would avoid making statements like that b/c you never really know for sure how someone arrived at their final product.

This.

I'm done entering comps for the year. Any that I would enter will cost too much to ship to. Next weekend I'll get some results from the last two I entered.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Yup.  You get the sense from some of the comments that the judges think they know more than they know.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Yup.  You get the sense from some of the comments that the judges think they know more than they know.

On the other hand I've gotten very good feedback from some higher ranking judges.  But I don't enter anymore.  If I want a beer evaluated our club has a lot of judges.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

Yes, there is plenty of good feedback.  I don't have a club to bring my beers to, so this is my best avenue for feedback.

I think even for the judges that don't give good feedback, the scores are worthwhile.  They are sitting there and trying 10(?) beers and, whether the feedback is good or not, you're getting a ranking against other brewers.  if you get a 20 you know you need some work.  30 you're probably just missing a few things.  40s, they couldn't really find anything wrong with the beer.

#13 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

I organize some smaller competitions in the Twin Cities, MN: Dabbler and Byggvir's at the Renaissance Festival. I also help a few breweries with their ProAm selection competitions.

A lot of contests, at least locally, have gotten so big that they usually only assign two judges to a table and that is most often an experienced BJCP judge and someone with limited/no experience. I can't help but to think that as an inexperienced judge you might feel pressured to go with the other person's opinions. Just because someone hasn't judged before, doesn't mean s/he doesn't have a great sense of taste/smell. Most need practice to find the words and understand what they are sensing and how it affects the beer/causes. There is a time factor too---I have seen a lot of contests with very tight time schedules and very full (10-12 entries) flights. That makes for rushed judges and often the score sheets suffer.

I try to have three judges a table---I find that is a good mix of knowledge levels. I also don't judge at the contests I organize. Instead, I walk around and spot check the quality of the score sheets. I talk with inexperienced judges and explain how to fill out the score sheets and ask about what they are sensing. I am also at an advantage, since I have been doing BJCP exam prep training classes since 2006, I know who should be filling out solid score sheets and who is slacking (and call them out on it).

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

Well, we need more crankies out there.  That's for sure!

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

I got my results back, mixed I'd say. 

The good:  My session IPA (which I entered as an APA) scored a 41 and the dry stout scored 35.5, neither placed.  Pretty stiff competition if 41 isn't placing.  I've gotten a 1st in the past in Cat 10 with a 37 in a pretty large comp.  Maybe the scores have just trended up over the last few years?

The not so good:  Amber ale and Rye Pale Ale both scored 20.  The Amber was marked down for out of style, not really surprising since it's a Negra Modelo clone using WLP001.  I was more surprised by the Rye.  I thought it was solidly the best beer I submitted and it's gotten 'Wow!' reactions from a bunch of people I've served it to.  The scoresheets almost make we wonder if it's the wrong beer.  I got notes of fermentation issues from both judges, appearing though it didn't finish fermentation (FG was 1.010), One judge said little to no hop aroma despite this thing being heavily dry-hopped just a week before bottling.  Green apple, low hop bitterness.  Just really weird comments for this beer.  I suppose it could have been a sanitation issue in the bottling (though I've very careful about this and none of the other beers seemed to have any issues).  Even so some of the comments don't even jibe with that.  Like the notes of sweetness.  This this beer is dry as could be.  This was judged by one Certified and one National judge, so I'm doubting it's a judge issue.  I'll probably get in touch with one or both of them and get some thoughts.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

A 41 and not placing! Wtf...

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

It was in the mini-BOS for cat 10 so i guess it could've lost out to a lower score. I don't really know how things work with the mini-BOS.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:25 PM

First of all congrats on the 41. Thats awesome. Unfortunately you'll never know what happened to the rye. Id blow it off and enjoy drinking it. They probably screwed something up.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:33 AM

A 41 and not placing! Wtf...

Happens a lot actually.

And congrats on the 41 well done! And good idea in contacting the judges. But I doubt they will remember. 

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:42 AM

Happens a lot actually.

And congrats on the 41 well done! And good idea in contacting the judges. But I doubt they will remember. 

I am sure.  I did have a 43 in  a BW in the first round of the AHA that did not make it through.  I would have liked to taste the ones that did!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users