#1 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

My experience so far with a 1 qt. non stirred, non crashed and decanted yeast starter.....

https://www.experime...d-dognew-tricks

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

Very interesting.  It would also be  interesting to see this experiment with some lager yeast.

What's the idea behind not stirring the starter?  Aren't you limiting growth?

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:22 PM

scratches head

walks off muttering

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

Very interesting.  It would also be  interesting to see this experiment with some lager yeast.

What's the idea behind not stirring the starter?  Aren't you limiting growth?

Cell shear. Damage to the yeast cells. Go to the AHA forum anD read the Shaken Not Tirred thread. Look for posts by S. Cerevisiae. I argued with him, I told him it hadn't worked for me in the past. Then I decided I at least owed him a try. So far, looks lke no reason not to. But we'll see what the beer tastes like.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:53 AM

so what is his problem with starsan?

also - not much info here, wrong thread?  httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=22895.0

Edited by Evil_Morty, 27 September 2015 - 02:56 AM.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

so what is his problem with starsan?

also - not much info here, wrong thread?  httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=22895.0

Like a lot of things Mark says, it's based in science more than real life experience. That's why I've had differences with him. My experience often differs from his theory. But that's why I tried his starter procedure...unless I try it, I really don't know.

I'll try to find some specific references for ya. But Ken L. is engaged in a very interesting conversation with him now re: starters.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24439.0

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23522.0

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24308.0

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=22472.msg286465#msg286465

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

kind of reminds me of the drauflassen technique here:  https://www.brews-br...s/#entry1859366

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

kind of reminds me of the drauflassen technique here:  https://www.brews-br...s/#entry1859366

I started spinning my drauflassen starters until they show bubbles at the edge of the jar then stop spinning. Usually 4-5hrs. According to what I've read about the yeast life cycle this will keep the starter from oxidizing and it can be pitched at full volume w/o affecting the beers flavor.

On an ale it can be pitched the same day when at high krausen w/ this being the only starter made. I like to let the lagers build overnight after stopping the stirplate as the drauflassen volume is pitched and fermenting at 50F. Racking off the trub is optional of course.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

I was thinking of maybe making a "starter" with a gallon or two of my next 10 gallon lager batch and then pitching this into the rest of the wort on the following day.  Is there a ratio that would work out for this or is this crazy talk?  I've got some fresh 833 that I'm hoping I could skip making a traditional starter for.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 27 September 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

I was thinking of maybe making a "starter" with a gallon or two of my next 10 gallon lager batch and then pitching this into the rest of the wort on the following day.  Is there a ratio that would work out for this or is this crazy talk?  I've got some fresh 833 that I'm hoping I could skip making a traditional starter for.

I use 1 gallon for my 7 gallon batches. Ive broken it down on yeastcalc. Just remember to accout for the pitching volume minus the drauflassen. So 8 gallon batch if using a 2 gallon starter.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:59 PM

I use 1 gallon for my 7 gallon batches. Ive broken it down on yeastcalc. Just remember to accout for the pitching volume minus the drauflassen. So 8 gallon batch if using a 2 gallon starter.

my main fear is the yeast takes a long time to get to high krausen in the small starter part of the batch.  I REALLY don't like leaving wort not inoculated longer than necessary.

but back to the topic of the thread, I wonder what this yeast jedi thinks about dry yeast.  I've been having great luck with US-05 on my last few batches with it.  I also really enjoyed belle saison.  these beers are not particularly different than beers I've made with liquid yeast in terms of quality.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 27 September 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

Like a lot of things Mark says, it's based in science more than real life experience. That's why I've had differences with him. My experience often differs from his theory. But that's why I tried his starter procedure...unless I try it, I really don't know.

I'll try to find some specific references for ya. But Ken L. is engaged in a very interesting conversation with him now re: starters.

I was wondering what happened to Ken, he hasnt been here much lately.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

I was wondering what happened to Ken, he hasnt been here much lately.

we aren't good enough for him anymore :crybaby:

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

Denny, aside from the taste test I wish you could have taken pitch rate counts so you have something objective to compare. 

My next thought is that when I make a starter I pitch at high krausen. It's on a stir plate. I only spin the yeast enough to keep it in suspension. You aren't trying to oxygenate it, just give it the highest contact area and time to reproduce. I hardly get any vortex in my starters. I don't do it that way because of science, it's just completely practical. If you want to make a big starter and you don't have a lot of head space, you have to spin it slowly to avoid foam over.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

Cell shear. Damage to the yeast cells. Go to the AHA forum anD read the Shaken Not Tirred thread. Look for posts by S. Cerevisiae. I argued with him, I told him it hadn't worked for me in the past. Then I decided I at least owed him a try. So far, looks lke no reason not to. But we'll see what the beer tastes like.

so why wouldn't shaking also damage the yeast cells?  shaking seems more violent than a stir plate.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

are there any converts that have posted their results with this method?  everything I see is kind of at a similar place as Denny where the wort has started fermenting but we don't know how the beer is yet.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:23 AM

are there any converts that have posted their results with this method?  everything I see is kind of at a similar place as Denny where the wort has started fermenting but we don't know how the beer is yet.

Too soon to tell really. I doubt there's many people that have done the experiment even as a tasting one like Denny.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

also, the exact process here is a little lacking.  needs more details.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

Denny, aside from the taste test I wish you could have taken pitch rate counts so you have something objective to compare. 

My next thought is that when I make a starter I pitch at high krausen. It's on a stir plate. I only spin the yeast enough to keep it in suspension. You aren't trying to oxygenate it, just give it the highest contact area and time to reproduce. I hardly get any vortex in my starters. I don't do it that way because of science, it's just completely practical. If you want to make a big starter and you don't have a lot of head space, you have to spin it slowly to avoid foam over.

Drew and I hope to replicate this and do cell counts.  It will be an experiment on our upcoming series pf podcasts.

so why wouldn't shaking also damage the yeast cells?  shaking seems more violent than a stir plate.

I don't think it's as violent as a stir bar.  The whole thing came up discussions of how yeast companies use shaker tables rather than stir plates for propagation.

Too soon to tell really. I doubt there's many people that have done the experiment even as a tasting one like Denny.

There are a number of people on the AHA forum trying this, but no reports so far.

also, the exact process here is a little lacking.  needs more details.

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24447.msg311561#msg311561

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users