Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hi All,

Next up; Patersbier. I'm gearing up several batches to knock out before the Holiday Hectic. I have two Ambers complete, one in keg and one in fermenter and want to make a nice light Belgian.

In an attempt to keep the grain bill very simple I could go with 100% Pils but am thinking about enhancing the malt a little with Vienna. That and a little thinning with some corn. I'm pretty sure all items fall loosely in the parameters of this type of beer, however I'm not a stickler.

So, how about a 1.050 combo of 80/10/10; Pils, Vienna and flaked corn? Gr. Hallertau on the front and Motueka on the finish all to about 26 IBU. I'll also have some very healthy slurry of 550 ready in a couple weeks.

Thoughts? Anyone with a good Belgian Pale or Paters?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

What's the deal with the corn?  If you just wanted lighter body I'd probably use sugar.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

I have it to use. I tend to use sugar in most if not all my Belgians...

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:00 AM

I have it to use. I tend to use sugar in most if not all my Belgians...

does it bring a flavor you like?  I've never used it but I thought it was something people mostly used in something like a cream ale or a light American lager.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

reading a bit more I guess flaked corn is pretty mild in terms of flavor.  I guess I expected a "corny flavor".

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

I don't get much corn flavor. Maybe a wee bit of Special K but not in the amount I propose to add. My interest in this beer is to have something friendly for those who are less adventurous. But the yeast will lend a little complexity for the euthusiasts too. Btw, 550 is an animal and I can see it whaling on this coming batch.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

Patersbier is the enlgish mild of the belgian world. I'm gonna try something like this next year.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

Were it mine I would just use 100% pils. It will be plenty light at 1.050 or so and subjected to an attenuative yeast. Motueka would be nice used late and used lightly IMO. I have done the well known Kris Englund recipe and it is quite nice. 100% pils to 1.048 with 3787 and a touch of late saaz.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like a tasty beer nettles.

BTW... I hate you guys. You're always coming up with interesting sounding beers and I never have enough time to brew them all! 

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

Were it mine I would just use 100% pils. It will be plenty light at 1.050 or so and subjected to an attenuative yeast. Motueka would be nice used late and used lightly IMO. I have done the well known Kris Englund recipe and it is quite nice. 100% pils to 1.048 with 3787 and a touch of late saaz.

Same here...I always go 100% pils and Hallertauer with mine.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Fellas!!

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

Any reason why you're leaving out crystal malts? I've been reading BLAM lately and it would seem that a patersbier would be based on what was most prevalently brewed at the abbey. Sometimes, but definitely not always, it was the second runnings. Many of the abbey beers are not SMASH brewed and a small bier like this would, IMO, benefit from a little added flavor. That is if you are brewing a traditional patersbier. Then again, I like malty beer.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

Any reason why you're leaving out crystal malts? I've been reading BLAM lately and it would seem that a patersbier would be based on what was most prevalently brewed at the abbey. Sometimes, but definitely not always, it was the second runnings. Many of the abbey beers are not SMASH brewed and a small bier like this would, IMO, benefit from a little added flavor. That is if you are brewing a traditional patersbier. Then again, I like malty beer.

IMO, it's just not appropriate for the style.  You can kinda think of this beer as a Belgian pils.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

IMO, it's just not appropriate for the style.  You can kinda think of this beer as a Belgian pils.

That rings a bell from the book. Thanks.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

BLAM. My other dog-eared book :)
I'm thinking on the lines of SMASH after reading all of your advice. All Hallertau. I'm thinking around 26 bitters, does that sound about right?

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

BLAM. My other dog-eared book :)
I'm thinking on the lines of SMASH after reading all of your advice. All Hallertau. I'm thinking around 26 bitters, does that sound about right?

Yep.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

You can kinda think of this beer as a Belgian pils.

I can see that. Or maybe saison for the monks?… Saison with trappist yeast? Yeast character driven, just a different (generally more subtle) character.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

I can see that. Or maybe saison for the monks?… Saison with trappist yeast? Yeast character driven, just a different (generally more subtle) character.

I think of saison as more complex in the ingredients.  Patersbier, like pils, is very straightforward.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

I think of saison as more complex in the ingredients.  Patersbier, like pils, is very straightforward.

purely practical, non indulgent house brew for the brotherhood

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

I think of saison as more complex in the ingredients. 

That's because you hang out with Drew! Or… maybe I should just try a more complex grist in my typical saison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users