18 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

How important is dark Munich for this beer?  My trip to Germany has made me want and get one of these going and I currently have some 833 I can build up but just regular Munich.  I will not be brewing this for a couple of weeks so if dark really makes the beer I have no issues picking some up.

This was my second beer of the trip and my favorite ( well next to fresh Fou' Foune)

12141648_10154421196229657_1946196380958

ETA: Don't mind my spelling I am going on little sleep :)

Edited by drez77, 02 October 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

I brew mine with light and I think it comes out great.  Very similar to the Ayinger beer.  I can't say for sure if dark munich really adds something else to it.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

I've done it with 100% light munich and a little bit of carafe special.  Not really sure how authentic that is but I liked the beer.

in the case of the ayinger old Bavarian dark (is that a dunkel?) I used a mix of light munich and pils.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 02 October 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

I've done it with 100% light munich and a little bit of carafe special.  Not really sure how authentic that is but I liked the beer.

in the case of the ayinger old Bavarian dark (is that a dunkel?) I used a mix of light munich and pils.

Altbairisch Dunkel?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

Altbairisch Dunkel?

oh yeah :facepalm:

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

My plan at the moment is:

77% Munich (8L)

17% Pils

4% Caramuncih II

2% Carafa SP for color

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

https://www.brews-br...-out/?p=2007273

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

Looks like we are thinking the same.  I have the carafa and caramunich swapped from what you have though.

Now I need to go catch up on what all the new rage is in starters to know what to do!

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

Looks like we are thinking the same.  I have the carafa and caramunich swapped from what you have though.

Now I need to go catch up on what all the new rage is in starters to know what to do!

scary right?

the new rage in starters is all about yeast health instead of pitching rate.  that's what I have gathered so far.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

I use all dark Munich for mine.  Love it like that.

#11 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1961 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

Mmmmm Kloster Andechs Dunkel... yummy

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:51 AM

I suspect that Andechs might be all Dark Munich, but you can make a great Dunkel with Light Munich and a little Carafa. Pils makes a lighter bodied, but still authentic version. If you really think you need to use Caramunich, I'd keep it to just a couple ounces, but I'd leave it out completely and try to get the maltiness and body from Munich. I found a little Caramunich to match the flavor of some of the Czech Dunkels more than the German ones.

Edited by Brauer, 03 October 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

I suspect that Andechs might be all Dark Munich, but you can make a great Dunkel with Light Munich and a little Carafa. Pils makes a lighter bodied, but still authentic version. If you really think you need to use Caramunich, I'd keep it to just a couple ounces, but I'd leave it out completely and try to get the maltiness and body from Munich. I found a little Caramunich to match the flavor of some of the Czech Dunkels more than the German ones.

I prefer to have some pils.  The malty can get a little overwhelming for me with 100% munich - especially dark.

#14 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

I prefer to have some pils.  The malty can get a little overwhelming for me with 100% munich - especially dark.

I like it both ways. A Pils-high bill makes a nice, light easy-drinking beer, which I can easily appreciate. I make them that way, sometimes, but my preference is for a Munich Malt dominated bill and that resembles the richer Dunkel that I have found most memorable.

By the way, Drez, it's Dunkel or Dunkles, not Dunkle.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:54 AM

I like it both ways. A Pils-high bill makes a nice, light easy-drinking beer, which I can easily appreciate. I make them that way, sometimes, but my preference is for a Munich Malt dominated bill and that resembles the richer Dunkel that I have found most memorable.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted thus the edit about lack of sleep 😁.

Good information here on the beer, hope to get this one going in a couple of weeks and plan to get some dark Munich.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:55 AM

I'm blaming the jet lag!

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, I realized that after I posted thus the edit about lack of sleep .

Good information here on the beer, hope to get this one going in a couple of weeks and plan to get some dark Munich.

I type it that way all the time. I think it feels like a more natural spelling when English is your first language.

I still haven't made an all Dark Munich Dunkel, for some reason, but I really need to. I think I'll make it in January, when White Labs offers WLP835 German Lager X, the Andechs yeast.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

I type it that way all the time. I think it feels like a more natural spelling when English is your first language.

I still haven't made an all Dark Munich Dunkel, for some reason, but I really need to. I think I'll make it in January, when White Labs offers WLP835 German Lager X, the Andechs yeast.

I was researching that yeast Friday and look forward to giving it a try.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:40 AM

I ended up ordering some Dark Munich so I think I will go with dark Munich and pils and then some carafa sp or midnight wheat to bring the color up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users