15 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

Been a while since I calibrated and I was overdue. Went to calibrate and the good news was that calibration was dead on at 4.00 and only .02 off at 7.00. The bad news is that it took 3-4 minutes before it settled in at those values. Is this a sign that my probe is at/near its end of life? (it has been well cared for but it is a little over 2 yrs old.)

Edited by neddles, 06 October 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

I wish I knew the answer.  I just got my pH meter last week.  I haven't used it yet, but will likely break it out for a batch in the next few days.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

I wish I knew the answer.  I just got my pH meter last week.  I haven't used it yet, but will likely break it out for a batch in the next few days.

which one did you end up getting?  I'll be interested to hear how you like it, ease of use, etc.  while I think the colophast strips work pretty well a meter would be a lot easier to read.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:33 AM

Milwaukee MW102.

The colorphast strips are better than nothing, but I'm kinda tired of trying to figure out exactly what it's telling me.  Plus the offset.  what is it?  0.1? 0.3?  gah.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

Milwaukee MW102.

The colorphast strips are better than nothing, but I'm kinda tired of trying to figure out exactly what it's telling me.  Plus the offset.  what is it?  0.1? 0.3?  gah.

0.3.  I wrote it on the little case with a sharpie :lol:

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

0.3.  I wrote it on the little case with a sharpie :lol:

Yup, me too.  Though Kai's research showed it wasn't consistently 0.3, it seemed to vary between 0.1 and 0.3.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

Yup, me too.  Though Kai's research showed it wasn't consistently 0.3, it seemed to vary between 0.1 and 0.3.

what was causing that?  did he figure it out?

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

what was causing that?  did he figure it out?

It's just the variability of the strips.

https://braukaiser.c...in_home_brewing

#9 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

Been a while since I calibrated and I was overdue. Went to calibrate and the good news was that calibration was dead on at 4.00 and only .02 off at 7.00. The bad news is that it took 3-4 minutes before it settled in at those values. Is this a sign that my probe is at/near its end of life? (it has been well cared for but it is a little over 2 yrs old.)

Slow equilibration is often a sign of a failing probe. Cleaning the probe can often improve perfomance and extend the probe life. Sometimes changing the fluid in the probe can help, if that has become contaminated.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

Slow equilibration is often a sign of a failing probe. Cleaning the probe can often improve perfomance and extend the probe life. Sometimes changing the fluid in the probe can help, if that has become contaminated.

I don't think I can change the fluid in my probe, but I'll check. I always have it stored in the storage solution and change that every few months.  Is there a recommended way to clean the probe?

#11 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

I don't think I can change the fluid in my probe, but I'll check. I always have it stored in the storage solution and change that every few months.  Is there a recommended way to clean the probe?

Isopropanol, then water to rinse off IPA, then gentle wipe clean, a touch more water, little shake to get excess water off, then into storage solution.

I've had pH probes for years with no issues going this route.  

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

Isopropanol, then water to rinse off IPA, then gentle wipe clean, a touch more water, little shake to get excess water off, then into storage solution.

I've had pH probes for years with no issues going this route.  

Thanks Murph. So just 70% OTC isopropyl is fine for this?

#13 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Murph. So just 70% OTC isopropyl is fine for this?

70% is preferred.  as an fyi, I use a pH meter every day at work and have done so for many many years and this has always been the way I've cleaned them.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

70% is preferred.  as an fyi, I use a pH meter every day at work and have done so for many many years and this has always been the way I've cleaned them.

Great, couple more questions… soak in the isopropyl? How long? Wipe with what?... IOW I though these things were pretty sensitive, I never touch mine with anything, maybe I should?

#15 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

Great, couple more questions… soak in the isopropyl? How long? Wipe with what?... IOW I though these things were pretty sensitive, I never touch mine with anything, maybe I should?

fyi, I use mine in a lab so theres that for whatever it's worth

anyway.  I use a squirt/spray bottle for both the IPA and water rinsing and use kimwipes to wipe clean staying away from the tip of the probe (unless something is stuck to it, which happens more often with biologics than chemicals)

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

fyi, I use mine in a lab so theres that for whatever it's worth

anyway.  I use a squirt/spray bottle for both the IPA and water rinsing and use kimwipes to wipe clean staying away from the tip of the probe (unless something is stuck to it, which happens more often with biologics than chemicals)

Great, thanks for all the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users