gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

Anyone else brewing?

I am vorlaufing the sparge of Denny's Noti brown ale, 10 gallon batch, will be pitching 1272.

I plan on doing a double brew day, and will be doing Jimvy's Quiet Storm Oatmeal Stout, also 10 gallon batch, but on 1084. 

It will be a long day, but it should be good!

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

Those both sound good gnef. I might sneak in a brew on Monday either Drez's Chinook-Citra Pale Ale again or my Galaxy-Nelson IPA. Either one would get 1450.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hoppy Am Wheat. Using red wheat for the first time in a while.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Anyone else brewing?

I am vorlaufing the sparge of Denny's Noti brown ale, 10 gallon batch, will be pitching 1272.

I plan on doing a double brew day, and will be doing Jimvy's Quiet Storm Oatmeal Stout, also 10 gallon batch, but on 1084. 

Just tapped a batch of that!  I'm doing bot a rye pils and an IPA this week.  The IPA is a test of some new experimental organic hops called X17.  Magnum/Cascade cross with notes of tangerine, lemon and lime.

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

Well, the Noti Brown Ale is pitched, and in the walk-in. I didn't have a high enough boil off, so even though I hit the preboil gravity, My OG post boil was a bit low. I'm not too worried about it, and I am sure it will be good.

I am on the boil for the oatmeal stout now. It started raining though, so that's put a bit of a damper on my cleaning. Haha. I was hoping to clean some kegs while brewing today, but that may not end up happening.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

Those both sound good gnef. I might sneak in a brew on Monday either Drez's Chinook-Citra Pale Ale again or my Galaxy-Nelson IPA. Either one would get 1450.

That Chinook/Citra beer is a good one 😁

I have an amber planned for Monday.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

Haven't brewed yet but found a vacpacked bag of the right amount of Citra.  The timer is set to start heating strike water at 0430  tomorrow.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:58 AM

Anyone else brewing?

been meaning to try that one out.  I even have the recipe all worked out for my system and water.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

been meaning to try that one out.  I even have the recipe all worked out for my system and water.

My keg had conditioned enough that I tapped it yesterday.  For my tastes, that beer is damn near perfect.

#10 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

Yea, I've had a brown ale on my list for my 1272 series. I saw Denny post the recipe the other day, and thought it looked good.

Denny, I've brewed your Rye IPA a good number of times over the years, so I thought I'd try your brown ale as well! I have 10 gallons of the Rye IPA in kegs, and I have 10 of the brown ale fermenting now.

With how much I've been brewing, I've been thinking about adding another couple faucets to the coffin box! (I should probably change out all my current faucets for the 650ss first, then add the setups if I still have enough beer at that point).

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Yea, I've had a brown ale on my list for my 1272 series. I saw Denny post the recipe the other day, and thought it looked good.

Denny, I've brewed your Rye IPA a good number of times over the years, so I thought I'd try your brown ale as well! I have 10 gallons of the Rye IPA in kegs, and I have 10 of the brown ale fermenting now.

With how much I've been brewing, I've been thinking about adding another couple faucets to the coffin box! (I should probably change out all my current faucets for the 650ss first, then add the setups if I still have enough beer at that point).

FWIW, I don't know if I've speced it in that recipe yet, but using Chateau chocolate malt (350L) is the way to go if you can get it.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

FWIW, I don't know if I've speced it in that recipe yet, but using Chateau chocolate malt (350L) is the way to go if you can get it.

so a slightly lighter than normal chocolate?  perhaps use a mix of pale chocolate and regular chocolate as an alternative?

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

so a slightly lighter than normal chocolate?  perhaps use a mix of pale chocolate and regular chocolate as an alternative?

Maybe.  I've never used pale chocolate so I don't know exactly what it's like.  And FWIW, I made it for many years with a 500ish chocolate and won awards.  The 350 just makes it a bit better.

Edited by denny, 11 October 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

Maybe.  I've never used pale chocolate so I don't know exactly what it's like.  And FWIW, I made it for many years with a 500ish chocolate and won awards.  The 350 just makes it a bit better.

to me it really does just seem like less intense chocolate.  sort of milk chocolate vs dark chocolate (not malt, the real stuff).

#15 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen that particular chocolate malt. I believe I do have some pale chocolate, but since I just made 10 gallons of this, I doubt I'll need to make this again for a while!

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

Denny, I don't know if you can change it but FWIW your recipe at AHA shows 350L American chocolate which makes one think of Briess, not Chateau. 

https://wiki.homebre...rg/NotiBrownAle

In the same vein... the BVIP recipe over there shows 350L American chocolate, which maltster do you prefer for the chocolate malt in that recipe? I am hoping to finally make this BVIP sometime this month. 

https://wiki.homebre...aImperialPorter

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

I had forgotten about BVIP. That intrigues me now. 

Denny, how do you think it would be with WY1272? I would need to get some vanilla beans and some bourbon, but I should have everything else on hand.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:00 AM

gnef, I recently made Denny's base Porter recipe and it is the bomb. It is that good! I used 1450, which seemed to lend some creaminess to what I consider a very decadent beer. I intend on making it again at the end of this month/early November to have in time for the Holidays. This time I am going to try WLP090 because I have it on hand. The only concern I have, and Denny may/may not back this up is that the 90 might cut through the malt bill "too much" and thin the beer. I will definitely keep an eye on the ferment.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

Denny, I don't know if you can change it but FWIW your recipe at AHA shows 350L American chocolate which makes one think of Briess, not Chateau. 

https://wiki.homebre...rg/NotiBrownAle

In the same vein... the BVIP recipe over there shows 350L American chocolate, which maltster do you prefer for the chocolate malt in that recipe? I am hoping to finally make this BVIP sometime this month. 

https://wiki.homebre...aImperialPorter

Thanks!  I changed the color in that recipe recently, but forgot about the origin!  As for BVIP, no particular maltster.

I had forgotten about BVIP. That intrigues me now. 

Denny, how do you think it would be with WY1272? I would need to get some vanilla beans and some bourbon, but I should have everything else on hand.

Very good.  That's what I always used before switching to 1450.

gnef, I recently made Denny's base Porter recipe and it is the bomb. It is that good! I used 1450, which seemed to lend some creaminess to what I consider a very decadent beer. I intend on making it again at the end of this month/early November to have in time for the Holidays. This time I am going to try WLP090 because I have it on hand. The only concern I have, and Denny may/may not back this up is that the 90 might cut through the malt bill "too much" and thin the beer. I will definitely keep an eye on the ferment.

Is that the San Diego super yeast?  It will probably end up like using 1056/05, which I've done.  Still tastes good, but the body/richness isn't really there.

Got a rye pils mashing ATM.  IPA with the X17 experimental hops later in the week.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

Rye pils intrigues me. What percentage of rye do you use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users