positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

https://www.boston.c..._subheadline_hp

All tree house and trillium beers.  Drez sent me some tree house beers and they are indeed delicious.  Never tried trillium.  Either way I'm kind of surprised that no other MA breweries could sneak into the top 12 from the state.

#2 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

Trillium Fort Point Pale Ale and the Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point are both really good (only things I've had from Trillium), a bit surprise nothing from Pretty Things made the list

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

murph, do you live in MA?

#4 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

murph, do you live in MA?

no, NJ but I have a sister that lives in Belmont so I try to get up to Boston whenever possible.  

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

no, NJ but I have a sister that lives in Belmont so I try to get up to Boston whenever possible.  

you ever met up with any locals?  I'm about an hour North from Belmont but JKor is kind of half way in between.

#6 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

you ever met up with any locals?  I'm about an hour North from Belmont but JKor is kind of half way in between.

no, in the past several years I've only been up for functions (no just hanging out) and now that I have little kids (2 yr olds) I have little free time at all.  I'm hoping to get up there, with some free time to hang out, next summer or so and I'd definitely like to meet up for some pints

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

This list was a joke.  Both make good beers but so do others in the state.

#8 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:14 AM

is Tree House that good or is a lot hype (or a little bit of both)?

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:16 AM

I think they are really good but so are a lot of other breweries.  at some point it is very much personnel preference.  I have a hard time saying one of these top beers is better than another.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

My personal feeling is both.  They make excellent hoppy beers along with stouts.  Are they worth getting in line at 1pm on a Thursday waiting for the 5pm opening?  In my opinion no but thankfully since they are canning a lot more and I live one town over I can go once the can line dies down and be in and out in 5 minutes.  Haze and Sap are my personal favorites along with TWSS and Good Morning.  For their hoppy beers they follow the same "recipe" that many other NE breweries follow.  If you have had Trillium or something from Hill Farmstead you know what you will be getting from Tree House.  It is amazing how fast they have gone from a 15g Sabco system to a 30bbl brewhouse. 

#11 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

My personal feeling is both.  They make excellent hoppy beers along with stouts.  Are they worth getting in line at 1pm on a Thursday waiting for the 5pm opening?  In my opinion no but thankfully since they are canning a lot more and I live one town over I can go once the can line dies down and be in and out in 5 minutes.  Haze and Sap are my personal favorites along with TWSS and Good Morning.  For their hoppy beers they follow the same "recipe" that many other NE breweries follow.  If you have had Trillium or something from Hill Farmstead you know what you will be getting from Tree House.  It is amazing how fast they have gone from a 15g Sabco system to a 30bbl brewhouse. 

ah, thanks.  I've had beers from Trillium and Hill Farmstead so this is a good frame of reference

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

Treehouse and Trillium are definitely the most hyped.  Nightshift to be added to that list soon.

To say those two breweries make the 12 best beers in MA is beyond ridiculous.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Treehouse and Trillium are definitely the most hyped.  Nightshift to be added to that list soon.

I agree.  Wormtown and Jacks Abbey could easily take one of those 12 spots.

#14 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:15 AM

I agree.  Wormtown and Jacks Abbey could easily take one of those 12 spots.

aren't they lager only?

#15 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:35 AM

aren't they lager only?

Lager only, but their best sellers are essentially IPAs.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

Lager only, but their best sellers are essentially IPAs.

Yup, IPLs are their big fan favorites but I think some of their other offerings are very good too.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Treehouse and Trillium are definitely the most hyped. Nightshift to be added to that list soon.

They are fine breweries, but the list is clearly biased toward IPAs, with a few APAs that are actually IPAs and a token Imperial Stout. My favorite beer from Trillium is a Porter. He doesn't make that much that I'm that interested in, but Pretty Things is probably the best brewery, with the CBC better for Belgians and Sours. I used to love his historic British beer series, when he still made it. Day-to-day, I drink far more Notch than anything else from MA.

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

Yup, IPLs are their big fan favorites but I think some of their other offerings are very good too.

Absolutely. I lean toward the smoked Dunkel, but also enjoy the Pilsner and Oktoberfest.

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:53 AM

Treehouse and Trillium are definitely the most hyped. Nightshift to be added to that list soon.

Cavman likes Nightshift (though he would choose Trillium and Treehouse, first), but I haven't been impressed, yet. I prefer Idle Hands' Lagers and I like Mystic's seemingly secret British series.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

of the localish lagers, which do you guys think is the best?  I'm not talking IPL (although I would like to try that too) but more traditional german style lagers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users