#21 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

of the localish lagers, which do you guys think is the best?  I'm not talking IPL (although I would like to try that too) but more traditional german style lagers.

I think that Notch makes a great Pilsner and Czech Dunkel/Tmavy, but they are both Czech takes on the styles, not German. I think I usually get 12-packs of the Pilsner for $15. BBC and Jack's Abby make nice, seasonal Pilsners. Jack's Smoke and Dagger is a good non-traditional Dunkel/Rauchbier hybrid.

The Von Trapp Lagers are good German versions. 

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

I think that Notch makes a great Pilsner and Czech Dunkel/Tmavy, but they are both Czech takes on the styles, not German. I think I usually get 12-packs of the Pilsner for $15. BBC and Jack's Abby make nice, seasonal Pilsners. Jack's Smoke and Dagger is a good non-traditional Dunkel/Rauchbier hybrid.

The Von Trapp Lagers are good German versions. 

I like Czech styles as well so that's also good info.

What is BBC?  Boston Beer Company AKA Sam Adams?

I didn't know the Von Trapps had a brewery in VT.  It's too bad I have to go to VT to try get it (or at least that's what their website seems to imply).

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:18 AM

I like Czech styles as well so that's also good info.

What is BBC?  Boston Beer Company AKA Sam Adams?

I didn't know the Von Trapps had a brewery in VT.  It's too bad I have to go to VT to try get it (or at least that's what their website seems to imply).

Berkshire brewing Company.

Brauer nailed it and included one of my favorites in there.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:27 AM

in Nashua I can get BBC stuff I guess.  not sure what styles exactly.

same for the bottle shop in my town.  looks like the other breweries might not be distributed in NH.  I'll have to remember to check for them next time I'm in MA.

#25 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

how well is Spencer selling up there?

you can find it here in NJ, $18/4 pack, but every pack has loads of dust on it so it's not really a big mover.  I've had it and like it but I don't like it that much as that price point, they really need to lower it if they expect to move it off of the shelves quicker

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

you can find it here in NJ, $18/4 pack, but every pack has loads of dust on it so it's not really a big mover.  I've had it and like it but I don't like it that much as that price point, they really need to lower it if they expect to move it off of the shelves quicker

It is now 14/4-pack here.  I still have not bought it.  Lots of dust on them here too.  They did indicate they are planning to put out a new beer soon but I am not sure how they are making ( if they are) any money.  No one around here talks about it at all anymore.  It was a novelty when it first opened.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

yeah, I don't really understand the price there.  they look like they have a really nice facility so maybe they are trying to pay it off quickly?  otherwise I wouldn't expect the raw materials or labor to be much different than any other beer made.  with the low hopping rates even more so.

It is now 14/4-pack here.  I still have not bought it.  Lots of dust on them here too.  They did indicate they are planning to put out a new beer soon but I am not sure how they are making ( if they are) any money.  No one around here talks about it at all anymore.  It was a novelty when it first opened.

from a craft beer perspective I'd really like them to succeed so it's sad to hear this.

#28 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

$14 is still steep to me, but like I said the beer is good and I do want them to succeed.  I'll be interested to see what their next offering is and at what price point

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:32 AM

And Boom...

httpss://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2015/09/28/year-old-trappist-brewery-spencer-expands-its-line/r2vRU9BSjhbnzmUnzcHPSI/story.html

"After talking to retailers, Spencer has decided to expand its product line. In addition to the abbey ale, the brewery will release Spencer Trappist Holiday Ale in November. Trappist Russian Imperial Stout will follow early next year. “Our original business plan was that we’d do this one beer, maybe it would take five years to get national distribution, and then we’d do a second Trappist classic,” says Keeley. “It turns out that plan was really flawed. It didn’t take sufficiently into account that the American market right now turns on what’s new, what’s a limited edition.”"

"Another thing that has dogged Spencer is pricing. Keeley admits initial pricing on Spencer Trappist Ale was too high at $17.99 for a 4-pack. The brewery has already dropped the suggested price of that beer to $13.99, and plans to price the new beers with cost in mind."

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

And Boom...

httpss://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2015/09/28/year-old-trappist-brewery-spencer-expands-its-line/r2vRU9BSjhbnzmUnzcHPSI/story.html

"After talking to retailers, Spencer has decided to expand its product line. In addition to the abbey ale, the brewery will release Spencer Trappist Holiday Ale in November. Trappist Russian Imperial Stout will follow early next year. “Our original business plan was that we’d do this one beer, maybe it would take five years to get national distribution, and then we’d do a second Trappist classic,” says Keeley. “It turns out that plan was really flawed. It didn’t take sufficiently into account that the American market right now turns on what’s new, what’s a limited edition.”"

"Another thing that has dogged Spencer is pricing. Keeley admits initial pricing on Spencer Trappist Ale was too high at $17.99 for a 4-pack. The brewery has already dropped the suggested price of that beer to $13.99, and plans to price the new beers with cost in mind."

well I'm glad they are paying attention.  that's a good sign.

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64060 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Still, $14/4 of a low ABV beer is ridiculous.  If they want to move beer I'd say $12, tops.  $10 would be better.

You want to sell at premium prices, prove you have a premium product, not a novelty.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Still, $14/4 of a low ABV beer is ridiculous.  If they want to move beer I'd say $12, tops.  $10 would be better.

You want to sell at premium prices, prove you have a premium product, not a novelty.

I agree.  Even at 14 I will not buy it and I buy a spend silly money on certain beers.  I would like to see it at 10 but I do not think it will go that low. 

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

I can make 4 bottles of delicious Belgian beer for about $2.00 :frank:

#34 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

Thanks to drezz I got a 4-pack of Spencer and truly enjoyed it (many months ago).  Now we have it down here and I saw the price tag and kept browsing.  In agreement that the abv along with the fact that is it a good beer but nothing super special, should warrant a lower sticker price.  I think Spencer should continue with that particular beer though for the tradition of Trappist beers in general; simple grain bills, lower hop presence etc...  Just my taste buds talking.

I would also definitely try their other upcoming offerings.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

Thanks to drezz I got a 4-pack of Spencer and truly enjoyed it (many months ago).  Now we have it down here and I saw the price tag and kept browsing.  In agreement that the abv along with the fact that is it a good beer but nothing super special, should warrant a lower sticker price.  I think Spencer should continue with that particular beer though for the tradition of Trappist beers in general; simple grain bills, lower hop presence etc...  Just my taste buds talking.

I would also definitely try their other upcoming offerings.

I believe they will keep brewing the original.  I do find it funny that they said they would not add another beer to their lineup for 3 years and now one year after they opened they realized they need to add more. 

#36 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

I'd say it's in direct line with the price they originally put it out at coupled with the fact that it's a pretty standard table beer.  Maybe I'm one exception to this next statement, but let's face it, craft consumers want the kicked up hoppy choices.  The majority of Belgian styles do not uphold that.  A 3-year timeline adhered to, they'd be farming more and brewing less.

#37 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

A list of MA brewed beer that doesn't include Pretty Things is lame.  The St. Botoloph's Town brown is off the charts good.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

I must be the one person that does not like Pretty Things.

#39 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

They just started distributing widely about 2 months ago. The first batches disappeared quickly, but it seems available again, now.

A list of MA brewed beer that doesn't include Pretty Things is lame.  The St. Botoloph's Town brown is off the charts good.

Yeah, that's a good one. Their most interesting one, to me, might have been their KK Beer.

Edited by Brauer, 14 October 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:12 AM

They just started distributing widely about 2 months ago. The first batches disappeared quickly, but it seems available again, now.

is it just b/c of the name or is the beer really spectacular?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users