79 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:19 AM

is it just b/c of the name or is the beer really spectacular?

The Von Trapp beers I have had were all excellent. This also reminded me I have a swing top of their dunkel in the beer fridge.

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

The Von Trapp beers I have had were all excellent. This also reminded me I have a swing top of their dunkel in the beer fridge.

this all reminds me I need to brew lagers until I can really get it just right.  unlikely to actually happen though :(

#43 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:37 AM

is it just b/c of the name or is the beer really spectacular?

I don't think my opinion would be swayed by the name, but I did visit the brewery once and the setting is pretty spectacular, which might have helped. Since then, I've had them in Somerville, where there isn't much benefit of setting and the beers still seemed very solid. I've only had the Pilsner, Vienna and Oktoberfest, so far, but I heard very good things about the Dunkel and Helles, so I picked them all up last night.  So far, I've mostly just tried to enjoy them, but I'll take a more critical eye and get back to you.

For Lagers, I look for solid and problem free, instead of spectacular. I think the thrill of an IPA is the fireworks and you can forgive a few rough edges, but the joy in a Lager is more sublime and demands perfection. I don't think I've ever had a Lager in the US that was at the same level as the best in Germany, but these are as good as most and better than many.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:45 AM

I don't think my opinion would be swayed by the name, but I did visit the brewery once and the setting is pretty spectacular, which might have helped. Since then, I've had them in Somerville, where there isn't much benefit of setting and the beers still seemed very solid. I've only had the Pilsner, Vienna and Oktoberfest, so far, but I heard very good things about the Dunkel and Helles, so I picked them all up last night.  So far, I've mostly just tried to enjoy them, but I'll take a more critical eye and get back to you.

For Lagers, I look for solid and problem free, instead of spectacular. I think the thrill of an IPA is the fireworks and you can forgive a few rough edges, but the joy in a Lager is more sublime and demands perfection. I don't think I've ever had a Lager in the US that was at the same level as the best in Germany, but these are as good as most and better than many.

do you know if they are distributing in NH?

I think you are short changing a great lager a little bit.  Yes they aren't as extreme but I still get a thrill when I have a really good one.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 15 October 2015 - 03:53 AM.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:44 AM

this all reminds me I need to brew lagers until I can really get it just right.  unlikely to actually happen though :(

I feel the same way after having some very good ones recently.  I love my hops but there is something about a perfectly crafted lager that is just amazing.

#46 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:27 AM

I feel the same way after having some very good ones recently.  I love my hops but there is something about a perfectly crafted lager that is just amazing.

Or an Alt or Amber or simple Ale. Often (to me) moderate to low hop profiles are very quenching, quaffable and pleasing. This is sorta trending in my brewing lately.

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

Or an Alt or Amber or simple Ale. Often (to me) moderate to low hop profiles are very quenching, quaffable and pleasing. This is sorta trending in my brewing lately.

Low hop profile ... I do not understand that term :)

#48 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

do you know if they are distributing in NH?

I think you are short changing a great lager a little bit. Yes they aren't as extreme but I still get a thrill when I have a really good one.

I don't know about NH.

Well, you know my beer preferences lean strongly toward Lagers and mild ales. At this point, I find a sublime Lager much more interesting than yet another IPA. To me, that's much more exciting, especially since I grew up in a time when there were virtually no good Lagers in the US and certainly none in MA.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:33 AM

so brauer, did you stay at the von trap resort or something?  looks pretty nice.

#50 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

so brauer, did you stay at the von trap resort or something? looks pretty nice.

We were in Waterville for a wedding and went up to the Von Trapp place for lunch and a beer. We sat outside, and the view was very nice.

#51 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:00 PM

I saw that von Trapp beer at some point and thought to myself 'What a weird pop culture icon to name your brewery after'.  It never once crossed my mind that it's actually run by THE von Trapp family.  Weird.

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

I saw that von Trapp beer at some point and thought to myself 'What a weird pop culture icon to name your brewery after'.  It never once crossed my mind that it's actually run by THE von Trapp family.  Weird.

and apparently it's pretty good!

#53 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

and apparently it's pretty good!

I'm having the Vienna, right now. Not as clear as I try to make my Lagers and I would have tried for a little less sweetness, but balanced, with a nice yeast profile and a big Vienna Malt flavor.

#54 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

Speaking of MA beers... Chris Loring of Notch brewing was on Beersmith podcast recently talking about Czech lagers. They touched on many other things too WRT session beer, recipe formulation and execution, ingredients, etc.  I immediately thought of Chils and Brauer but there are several others here who may get something from it too. I thought it was an interesting listen.

https://beersmith.co...th-podcast-113/

Edited by neddles, 16 October 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:11 AM

Speaking of MA beers... Chris Loring of Notch brewing was on Beersmith podcast recently talking about Czech lagers. They touched on many other things too WRT session beer, recipe formulation and execution, ingredients, etc.  I immediately thought of Chils and Brauer but there are several others here who may get something from it too. I thought it was an interesting listen.

thanks for the link.  I'll def check it out.

a slight aside - I never really got the podcast thing.  I mean I do I guess but I'd much rather read a transcript if that's an option.

#56 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:02 AM

Thanks! I'll definitely listen. He's probably the reigning master of session beers in the US.

a slight aside - I never really got the podcast thing.  I mean I do I guess but I'd much rather read a transcript if that's an option.

I used to go through a lot of them when I was driving 45'-1 hour each way to work. It was a lot safer than reading while driving and there are months at a time where that's the closest thing I have to free time. Now I mostly listen while I'm getting ready in the morning, when I'm brewing, or while I'm doing work around the house, so I just look for ones I'm particularly interested in.

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:22 AM

that was a good show.  I wonder what cara malt he is using on his 10P czech lager.

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:48 AM

Speaking of MA beers... Chris Loring of Notch brewing was on Beersmith podcast recently talking about Czech lagers. They touched on many other things too WRT session beer, recipe formulation and execution, ingredients, etc. I immediately thought of Chils and Brauer but there are several others here who may get something from it too. I thought it was an interesting listen.

Thanks, I will check this out. Notch makes excellent beers.

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

spoiler: he ferments his czech lagers @ 56F so to expedite the process.

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:45 AM

spoiler: he ferments his czech lagers @ 56F so to expedite the process.

Man... No need to listen now... 😁

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users