#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

Yeah yeah.  Worrying about something that hasn't happened is like paying interest on a debt you don't owe.

it's part of my brewing process :lol:

#22 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:17 AM

I used to use one of those orange carboy caps with tubing down to a bottle filled with starsan from my brewing day. I hate to call this a blow off since I never expect anything except co2 to go down the tubing.

I have since went to one of the morebeer speidel plastic fermenters with the oversized airlock. The thing is so big I can't imagine any cold crash pulling liquid back.

Edited by MakeMeHoppy, 25 October 2015 - 04:18 AM.

#23 haeffnkr

haeffnkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Peters MO

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

I made a manifold to attach to my fermenters that pushed the pressure to 1.5 - 2 psi. 

I have tried this a few times and it works well.

I have seen post some where on other sites that show how much oxygen gets sucked back in, on a 10 gallon batch it is a lot, stories of all the starsan in blow off bucket getting sucked into the beer, etc.  

I usually have to use 2 co2 paint ball bottles of 20z to cold crash a batch with regulator at 2ish pounds  over 2-3 days. If that was oxygen going into the beer I would expect to taste it?

No one has mentioned in this thread if they notice any differences in taste of beer that has been cold crashed with "suck back oxygen" vs beer that was racked warm into a keg then crashed/carbed.  

Some day I might do a xbeerment to try it and see, anyone have thoughts on beer taste that has been "open" crashed?

thanks Kevin

#24 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:37 AM

I use S-airlocks for everything anymore as they won't suck back when cold crashing or chilling down for primary--hate 3 piece airlocks with a passion.

As far as oxidation and cold crashing: My beer hangs around for 8-12 months in the keg. All are cold-crashed and most (95+%) are pale lagers with little to hide behind flavor-wise. The only ones that go stale are the ones that I've racked to secondary for gelling/dry hopping.

So I stopped using secondary, only dry hop in primary then rack to keg after cold crashing, gel in the keg. I plan batches/yeast harvesting so the last in a series is the most highly hopped so I can harvest healthy yeast from the least hopped batches.

#25 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

s-airlock might work.  still sucks in O2 though.  I'm probably worrying too much.

I tend to obsess over small details too. Endless hours googling and looking things up. These days when I feel this happening, I try and ask myself how much time and money I am going to spend on it vs. what improvement it will bring. That tends to snap things into perspective, 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users