#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31533 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

So I met a guy in my bowling league last night who was on the opposing team.  Turned out he has a degree in chemistry or something like that and is a water chemist for the county.  He offered to give me an analysis of my tap water and filtered water from my fridge so I see both what is coming straight out of the tap, and what the filter in my fridge is doing.  I was previously told by another homebrewer in the area that there were high levels of chloramines in my city but this guy was pretty sure that wasn't accurate.

Anyway, it'll be pretty cool to get the report to see what the deal is with my water.  I'll be sure to share the results here and get opinions from the experts!  ;)

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

Nice!

#3 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

Your water district puts out a free water report every year. It would be interesting to compare the results from your bowling buddy.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

excellent - that will be useful to have in hand.

I've been happy with bru'n water.  much better than palmer's water spreadsheet in my experience.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 31 October 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31533 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

Alright, got the results last night.  I have no idea what I'm reading to know if I got good water or not.  I put these up on my onedrive and they should just open in a viewer:

ETA: I forgot to mention there were two analysis done - one straight from the tap and one out of my fridge filter.

Edited by badogg, 13 November 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

I'll try to remember to take a look when I get home.  Can't access that site at work.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

Well it doesn't look like that fridge filter is doing much. Overall you have some high alkalinity, hard water. Might want to look into using some RO water and/or using lime to reduce that. I have very soft water so I have not been down that road, so I have no experience in that. Just my first observation. Hopefully someone else will be along with more knowledge. I would suggest though to download bru'n water and plug in your numbers and familiarize yourself with the program.

#8 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

httpss://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

https://accidentalis.com/archives/797

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTA_VmqhbQ

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

Well it doesn't look like that fridge filter is doing much. Overall you have some high alkalinity, hard water. Might want to look into using some RO water and/or using lime to reduce that. I have very soft water so I have not been down that road, so I have no experience in that. Just my first observation. Hopefully someone else will be along with more knowledge. I would suggest though to download bru'n water and plug in your numbers and familiarize yourself with the program.

looks like lactic acid (or RO) is in order!

other than the bicarb everything else seems very reasonable.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 13 November 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#10 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

looks like lactic acid (or RO) is in order!

other than the bicarb everything else seems very reasonable.

Yeah I was going to say lactic acid but figured it would have to be a lot. Not sure how much you can add before you can start tasting it? With my water I am only adding 1-3ml to the mash usually.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

Yeah I was going to say lactic acid but figured it would have to be a lot. Not sure how much you can add before you can start tasting it? With my water I am only adding 1-3ml to the mash usually.

not sure, if anyone would know it's Ken.  I think his bicarb was around 300 ppm.  too bad he's not posting.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

not sure, if anyone would know it's Ken. I think his bicarb was around 300 ppm. too bad he's not posting.

No kidding! I come over to the lager side and he leaves...

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

make like a tree as they say!

but I suspect that between gypsum/CaCl and lactic acid that a reasonable mash pH could be achieved.  RO might be needed for something like a bo pils.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

What about some lime? I have super soft water so I have never went down that path. But I do remember reading somewhere, probably the water book, that adding lime will help soften the water and in turn be able to use less acid. Again the amount of acid may not be an issue, just curious about it really.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

What about some lime? I have super soft water so I have never went down that path. But I do remember reading somewhere, probably the water book, that adding lime will help soften the water and in turn be able to use less acid. Again the amount of acid may not be an issue, just curious about it really.

never tried it myself.  it seemed like it was kind of a PITA.

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31533 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, I think I'll stick with either spring water or purified/RO water.  Maybe half and half.  Seems like too much of a PITA to deal with the hardness.  What about with stouts/porters?  I remember something about those being Ok with hardness or maybe it was something else.  

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, I think I'll stick with either spring water or purified/RO water.  Maybe half and half.  Seems like too much of a PITA to deal with the hardness.  What about with stouts/porters?  I remember something about those being Ok with hardness or maybe it was something else.  

I'd stick with RO personally. I believe there is an unknown but significant mineral content in some spring water, depending on the spring and if anything was added to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users