#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:23 AM

Ok... I know steam beer is nothing new, but for what it's worth I can't get past a steam beer being northern brewer and 2112 blah blah....

I was thinking something like SNPA but using slurry or maybe fresh W34/70 (2124/830). 

Anyone done something like this before and what did you think about it? 

This is coming up because I have 6 packets of dry yeast.... only 1 US05 and 5 W34/70.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

Paging Chills.  I know he has posted before to do an IPA recipe with W34/70.  At least I think it was him.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

FWIW, a steam beer is not just a beer made with lager yeast at high temps.  S. Cervisiae recently posted info showing that Anchor's yeast is neither a lager nor "hybrid" strain, but an ale yeast.

#4 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

I'e used that strain for Pale Ales, Browns and Porters, with success. I usually pitch it into beer chilled below 60F, then let it rise to 62F, whenever it wants.

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:48 PM

I figured I'd end up fermenting it in the mid 50s... let it ferment where it likes to ferment. 

#6 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

I figured I'd end up fermenting it in the mid 50s... let it ferment where it likes to ferment. 

It likes 60F, just fine. Wyeast lists it's range as 45-68F. That's what makes it a good yeast for Steam Beer. It gets a bit more fruity over 65F, in my experience.

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

Works fine like Brauer said at high fifties to 60. I usually set my chamber at 57f when using it for ale styles. Makes a very nice clean hoppy beer. I've used it up to 68f in a NB 1554 clone and it only had minimal esters. Black malt could've masked them some though. Much better than anything fermented with S-05 IMHO.

#8 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19059 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

One of my local brewpubs did a recipe split lately with an IIPA recipe - half fermented with lager yeast, the other half with ale yeast (didn't specify which one). The difference between the two was striking. The ale version was really good, the lager version didn't even qualify as a meh. 

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

One of my local brewpubs did a recipe split lately with an IIPA recipe - half fermented with lager yeast, the other half with ale yeast (didn't specify which one). The difference between the two was striking. The ale version was really good, the lager version didn't even qualify as a meh. 

So the lager version was horrible?

#10 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19059 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

So the lager version was horrible?

Not undrinkable but not anything I'd call good. Whereas I couldn't get enough of the ale version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users