#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:18 AM

Fellas, my searches are coming up dead. I recall a post about Ommegang's VOS. I think it was Mr. Evil???? Anyway I had one last night and it is exactly what I needed and very close to a recipe I make a few times a year. Wondering if anyone can link me (if a thread exists).

Also, I have 3 bottles left and all have a nice layer of yeast on the bottom. I'm considering an attempt at harvesting it. Never done that before. Anyone with a mind blowing tip?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

https://www.brews-br...rare-vos-clone/

I had his beer and it was very good.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:32 AM

Thanks man. Any insight in harvesting bottle yeast?

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

Thanks man. Any insight in harvesting bottle yeast?

https://www.theyeast...theastern-abbey

This is rumored to be Ommegang's yeast. You can also grow it up from the bottle.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:53 AM

neddles, thanks. I want to try and grow it up. Let's say I have a nice session this weekend and drink the 3 VOS's I have. About how much 1.040 wort would I need to begin the process? I assume this would be a "step-up" arrangement.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:59 AM

neddles, thanks. I want to try and grow it up. Let's say I have a nice session this weekend and drink the 3 VOS's I have. About how much 1.040 wort would I need to begin the process? I assume this would be a "step-up" arrangement.

I would make a small amount of starter wort and add it directly to the bottle, let that go for a few days and then start stepping it up.

Here is a way yeast was harvested from a can so you should be able to use that info for this.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Interesting blog! The process seems pretty simple to me.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:45 AM

Interesting blog! The process seems pretty simple to me.

Yes it is a good blog.  He is now brewing professionally at a place in CT.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

I would make a small amount of starter wort and add it directly to the bottle, let that go for a few days and then start stepping it up.

Here is a way yeast was harvested from a can so you should be able to use that info for this.

that's what I did.  I seem to remember I poured most of two bottles out (and drank it obviously!) and then filled them up about half way with 1.040 starter.  I then put foil on the top and swished them around to get the yeast into suspension.  once these mostly fermented out I put them both into another starter to prep them for making beer.  it worked great.  I used the yeast for a couple of generations.  it did seem to change pretty quickly so I'd only plan on going 2-3 rounds with it.  it's possible I had some contamination but it's never happened to me before so take that for what it's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users