gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:18 PM

Anyone else brewing?

I decided to try out Denny's BVIP recipe. I've made a series of mistakes already, but I think it will all work out in the end. Haha.

First was I decided to add a few more pounds of base grain due to expected loss of efficiency, and lower boil off compared to Denny's recipe (I don't get anywhere near 1.5 gallons per hour).

I wanted to do a 10 gallon batch, so I had 38.5# of grain that I milled and overflowed my 60 Qt cooler. I then transferred all the grain over to my 120 Qt cooler with new manifold (which is working great).

I also only typically do 10-11 gallons of strike for a 10 gallon batch. That barely wet the top of the grain bed, so I heated up another 4.5 gallons or so, and added that in. The byproduct of this is that my first runnings were already 1.081, and I was able to get over 10 gallons from the first runnings.

I intended today to be a double brew day anyway, but since the first runnings were so high, I decided to make this a partigyle brew day. I was thinking of doing an amber as my second beer, but that will be on hold till the next time I brew now.

So now I need to figure out a hop schedule for the second runnings, and what style it will be most akin to.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

Brewing my first Doppel Bock this weekend. Gonna be a real shoulder strainer. Pretty much maxing out my mash tun.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31533 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Made the Quiet Storm Oatmeal Stout to make my first beer in four years yesterday. It was fun, but I had some issues with equipment that I wish I had fixed before hand, but it worked. I Converted to a partial mash.

It was kind of funny, I used my barley crusher to grind the specialty grains which when it was done I realized I wasn't simply going to be able to used my pot on the stove as I planned, so I had to fix my old 10 gallon round mash tun to do a mash instead. I had to replace the whole spigot with a new bulkhead I bought years ago but never put in due to my son arriving a month early which is when I didn't have time to brew anymore. I knocked it out of the park and no leaves!

My OG is a few points lower than the recipe calls for, it came in at 1.056.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

Made the Quiet Storm Oatmeal Stout to make my first beer in four years yesterday. It was fun, but I had some issues with equipment that I wish I had fixed before hand, but it worked. I Converted to a partial mash.

It was kind of funny, I used my barley crusher to grind the specialty grains which when it was done I realized I wasn't simply going to be able to used my pot on the stove as I planned, so I had to fix my old 10 gallon round mash tun to do a mash instead. I had to replace the whole spigot with a new bulkhead I bought years ago but never put in due to my son arriving a month early which is when I didn't have time to brew anymore. I knocked it out of the park and no leaves!

My OG is a few points lower than the recipe calls for, it came in at 1.056.

no worries - it will still be beer!

no brewing for me for a little while.  need to work my way through the inventory.  first beer in my drinking sights is the saison I made at the start of the summer.  it all needs to go!  but at 9+% ABV that is tough to do.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

First brew in months. I overnight mashed my house lager--similar to Modelo Especial from Friday night to Saturday brewday. It's for my wife's upcoming work Christmas party. Drauflassened Mangrove Jack's M-84 Bohemian Lager yeast. Just about to rack it and pitch the drauflassen volume in a few minutes.

I will harvest/repitch the yeast into several batches starting with my Czech Svetly recipe.

Edited by chils, 08 November 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Just got a starter of Omega's lacto blend going for a BW.

#7 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Kegging an IPA tomorrow I made a few weeks ago to free up my fermenters, then planning to brew on Tuesday.

I am planning a Holiday Ale. Using the malt base from here: httpss://byo.com/mead/item/1640-winter-spiced-ale-style-profile

....but I don't have any M.O. so I'm using pale malt and adding 3 lbs. Victory malt to a 10 gallon batch. Not nearly the same thing, obviously, but should help layer the maltiness a bit. Those spice additions seem like a tiny amount, but then I've never done such a beer. I also want to make sure it doesn't come out tasting like "pumpkin spice". Maybe some vanilla, orange peel and drop the allspice in favor of cloves?

Edited by porter, 08 November 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

Brewing an imperial porter tomorrow.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:12 PM

Brewing an imperial porter tomorrow.

I saw a recipe for one of those floating round here somewhere.

#10 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:39 AM

I saw a recipe for one of those floating round here somewhere.

I came up with a recipe of my own design, a porter i've brewed many times in the past, just amped up from ~1.060/45 IBU's to ~1.075/60 IBU's.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:56 AM

Had to replace my water filters and didn't get a chance to brew. The water had a definite chlorine taste to it. Tried to get some new filter media, but it's only sold online. So I went to HD and got some new filters and installed them. By the time I got done screwing around with that it was after 3pm. Brew days can take 12 hours sometimes with cleanup. I didn't need to stay up until 3am so I postponed it. Now I need to order the filter media. Gonna brew on Saturday.

#12 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

Does this sound like a reasonable "spice bill" for my holiday ale (10 gallon batch, ~8% ABV)? I want noticeable but still somewhat subtle spice. I'd rather undershoot and add more later than overshoot. You have at least 3 hours to save me from myself!

Zest from 4 clementines @ 10 minutes

12 oz. dark molasses @ 5 minutes

Added @ 1 minute:

1.5 tsp cinnamon

0.5 tsp nutmeg

1 vanilla bean, chopped

10 whole cloves

Edited by porter, 10 November 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have a little experience with black treacle and molasses.  I think that amount will be okay.  you can also add it a couple of days into fermentation (dissolved in a little boiling water).

the other stuff I have no idea.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

Seems like a lot of cloves to me but I am not a huge clove fan.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

Seems like a lot of cloves to me but I am not a huge clove fan.

I was thinking that too but maybe if they aren't ground up it won't do much.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

I was thinking that too but maybe if they aren't ground up it won't do much.

Good point

#17 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

Well, I basically picked those amounts based on a conservative average of a bunch of holiday ale recipes I found around the internet. Problem is, the recipes seldom have tasting notes attached, so you never really know. 

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

Well, I basically picked those amounts based on a conservative average of a bunch of holiday ale recipes I found around the internet. Problem is, the recipes seldom have tasting notes attached, so you never really know. 

that's the kind of thing I've done in the past as well.  I pretty much always go somewhat conservative unless I have a good handle on how much I'm going to get out of something.  the beer is generally better for it.

#19 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

Well, the holiday ale smells good, doesn't smell overspiced at all. Maybe a bit heavy on the clementine peel, but IIRC most of that aroma gets scrubbed during fermentation.

However, I forgot how, er, vigorous Nottingham fermentations can be vs. US-05, my usual standby. I have the ferm bucket type that you stick an airlock directly into the lid - i.e. can't really rig a blowoff tube. They're both sitting in a shower at the moment, sans airlock, because of all the foam produced. I hope the positive pressure from CO2 outflow will keep these from getting infected...

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

Well, the holiday ale smells good, doesn't smell overspiced at all. Maybe a bit heavy on the clementine peel, but IIRC most of that aroma gets scrubbed during fermentation.

However, I forgot how, er, vigorous Nottingham fermentations can be vs. US-05, my usual standby. I have the ferm bucket type that you stick an airlock directly into the lid - i.e. can't really rig a blowoff tube. They're both sitting in a shower at the moment, sans airlock, because of all the foam produced. I hope the positive pressure from CO2 outflow will keep these from getting infected...

I usually just make a tent out of foil to help keep anything from falling in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users