#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

So, Evil's post about no boil got me thinking about shortening up my boils.  I've read posts that say sub 60 minute boils are possible.  Several posts say to watch the DMS/pilsner boils etc... 

So.  Does anyone do a less than 60 boil and if so, how less and if so, do you notice a difference?  My curiosity is solely based on shortening my brew day.  As we all know picking up 15-20 minutes in the process leaves more time to do the wife and kids stuff haha. 

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

I plan to do a 30 minute boil combine with a 20 minute whirlpool on an APA this Friday.  It is one of my house beers just with a different combo of hops so I know the beer well. 

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

Do you typically do 30 min boils?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

Do you typically do 30 min boils?

no, I am trying it out after some recent discussion and blog posts.  This beer is normally 60+20 for boil and whirlpool.  If I can cut it down to 50 total I will be very happy.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:56 AM

I plan to do a 30 minute boil combine with a 20 minute whirlpool on an APA this Friday.  It is one of my house beers just with a different combo of hops so I know the beer well. 

I'm probably going to give something like this a go on my next beer (probably a rye saison with motueka).

any ideas on of shorter boils work differently with rye?  I can't imagine it would matter but this wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised by something.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 November 2015 - 05:57 AM.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:04 AM

I'm probably going to give something like this a go on my next beer (probably a rye saison with motueka).

any ideas on of shorter boils work differently with rye?  I can't imagine it would matter but this wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised by something.

Just a WAG but I am going to say it should work the same on all malts.  Pils was my big worry but that seems to have been debunked or at least debunked enough for me to not worry about it.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

Just a WAG but I am going to say it should work the same on all malts.  Pils was my big worry but that seems to have been debunked or at least debunked enough for me to not worry about it.

perhaps if I drop my gravity down enough I can finally do a no sparge since I'll be boiling off half as much :D

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

Just leaving this here, granted it is a small batch size.

https://brulosophy.c...grain-brew-day/

perhaps if I drop my gravity down enough I can finally do a no sparge since I'll be boiling off half as much :D

I am goign back to sparging till I can figure out what is going on with my pH.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:34 AM

Just leaving this here, granted it is a small batch size.

https://brulosophy.c...grain-brew-day/

I am goign back to sparging till I can figure out what is going on with my pH.

I'm lucky that despite having a similar issue to you with thinner mashes and pH, mine is only 25-50% as bad.  I kind of wonder if bru'n water has an issue with thin mashes.  Maybe the model starts to fall apart.  It will be interesting to hear if when you go back to a more typical mash thinckness if the pH prediction issue goes away.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:48 AM

I'm lucky that despite having a similar issue to you with thinner mashes and pH, mine is only 25-50% as bad.  I kind of wonder if bru'n water has an issue with thin mashes.  Maybe the model starts to fall apart.  It will be interesting to hear if when you go back to a more typical mash thinckness if the pH prediction issue goes away.

I am derailing this thread and will stop after this but you make a good point.  I am going to take and build the water in another program ( yet to be determined) and see if that matches what Bru'n Water says. 

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:55 AM

I kind of wonder if bru'n water has an issue with thin mashes.  Maybe the model starts to fall apart.

My experience @ as low as 4.3-4.4 qts./lb. says it's not a problem.

ETA: I am using 100% RO FWIW

Edited by neddles, 12 November 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:00 AM

:cussing:  I thought we were on to something ..lol

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:02 AM

:cussing:  I thought we were on to something ..lol

Maybe you are and I'm the anomaly. 

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

Maybe you are and I'm the anomaly. 

there is the RO water VS my water issue too.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

my water is fairly low in most things but it is certainly not RO.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

my water is fairly low in most things but it is certainly not RO.

I can't come up with a reason why it would matter but I am not the expert.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:49 AM

I can't come up with a reason why it would matter but I am not the expert.

me neither.  could also be that my water is not exactly what I think it is.  not sure though.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:40 AM

I made a hoppy brown with a 12 minute boil a few months ago.  It came out great.  Plenty of hop bitterness/flavor/aroma.  I think with the availability of the high alpha hops we have today it's not a terrible idea.  I have been planning to put together a few recipes with a ~15-20 minute boil.  Why not, right? 

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

I made a hoppy brown with a 12 minute boil a few months ago.  It came out great.  Plenty of hop bitterness/flavor/aroma.  I think with the availability of the high alpha hops we have today it's not a terrible idea.  I have been planning to put together a few recipes with a ~15-20 minute boil.  Why not, right? 

I mean - it changes a few things.  Like you want to make sure you like the taste of those high IBU hops b/c you won't be boiling much of that flavor/aroma off.  And they'll be a small efficiency hit since you can't sparge as much but in the grand scheme of things these are minor issues to contend with.  I could always use more time so it seems like a worthwhile thing to try out.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

I think a shorter boil would be a good place for hop extracts.

looking at a calculator quickly shows that for 50 IBU with a 60 minute boil you would need 3.75ml of extract and for the same 50 IBU you would need 7.56 ml for a 15 minute boil.  I am guessing there should be no flavor associated with the extract but I may be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users