4 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

I have a couple of recipes put together that I want to get brewing soon so I can have them available over the holidays. Tell me what they are missing, how would you change them? Also I am looking for some thoughts about the D-180 Candi Syrup in the saison and what to expect flavor wise. I've used the D-45 and D-90 and really enjoyed what I got from them.  

In the second recipe I am considering a very small addition of like 3-4 oz of Honey Malt just for a little complexity and emphasis of the base malt. The spicing is the same as I used in the Hennepin-sh saison I made and they are subtle but I wouldn't be opposed to other suggestions for the spices. Thoughts?

2015 Christmas Saison

6 gallons

OG-1.069

IBU-28

SRM-21

69% Dingeman's Pils

14% MFB Munich

7% D-180 Candi Syrup

3.5% Sucrose (.5#)

3.5% Belgian Aromatic

2.5% Special B

Mash 147F/40 and 158F/20

Gr. Magnum at 60

14g Saaz @10

WY3726 Farmhouse Ale

Golden Spiced Ale

6 gallons

OG-1.075

IBU-25

SRM-5

100% Weyermann Floor Malted Pils.

Mash 147F/40 and 158F/20

Gr. Magnum @ 60

10g Strisselspalt @ 15 min.

10g Strisselspalt @  5 min.

6g sweet orange peel@10

6g coriander @10

0.7g Grains of Paradise @10

0.9g dried ginger root @10 

WY3725 Bière de Garde 

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

I am begining to experiment with galangal as a substitute for ginger (I live in a climate that allows cultivation of the rhizomes).  If your plan is to used dried ginger (powdered), give a thought to a comparable amount of galangal powder (Penzeys carries it).  Galangal is less sharp but far more floral - if you can get some, I don't think you'll regret the effort. 

Currently developing a recipe for what I am going to call a Thai Saison using galangal, kaffir lime leaves in the boil, and kaffir lime zest in secondary. 

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

I am begining to experiment with galangal as a substitute for ginger (I live in a climate that allows cultivation of the rhizomes).  If your plan is to used dried ginger (powdered), give a thought to a comparable amount of galangal powder (Penzeys carries it).  Galangal is less sharp but far more floral - if you can get some, I don't think you'll regret the effort. 

Currently developing a recipe for what I am going to call a Thai Saison using galangal, kaffir lime leaves in the boil, and kaffir lime zest in secondary. 

Interesting idea. I don't have easy access to a Penzey's where I live but I will next week while out of town over the holiday. I'm going to pick up some galangal up wether or not I end up using it in the beer. Hopefully the beer will be brewed before then but we will see.

ETA: Keep us posted on that Thai saison too. That sounds like it has some real potential.

Edited by neddles, 19 November 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

I think your first recipe is spot on in all respects. With number 2 I appreciate the modest amount of Strissel because I over did it at the end of a boil and it came through very pasture like. However I like the Strissel and that it is delicate.

Interesting thoughts on the Galangal. I have some reading to do.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

I think your first recipe is spot on in all respects. With number 2 I appreciate the modest amount of Strissel because I over did it at the end of a boil and it came through very pasture like. However I like the Strissel and that it is delicate.

Interesting thoughts on the Galangal. I have some reading to do.

Actually I'm going to drop the 5 min Strisselspalt addition. Really want low hop character in this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users