64 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

Well, there really is no definition of quad.  R10 is best classed as a BDSA.

Don't tell that to BA :)  but I do realize the BJCP does not have a Quad category.

Edited by drez77, 18 November 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#42 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

Don't tell that to BA :)  but I do realize the BJCP does not have a Quad category.

BA just makes things up to suit the entrants they have.  I think if you asked a Belgian person about a quad you'd get a blank stare.

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

BA just makes things up to suit the entrants they have. I think if you asked a Belgian person about a quad you'd get a blank stare.

I am not disagreeing with you, just having some fun.

#44 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

I picked up some Westmalle Dubbel and Chimay Premiere to try. I think I've had the Chimay before but it's been a while. Gonna do a tasting on Saturday.

#45 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

Tried the Westmalle yesterday. I thought it was a little thin bodied, but it got better as it warmed. The alcohol flavors were pronounced. The nose was fantastic. I think though that I want my dubbel to have slightly more sweetness in the finish. The westmalle was bone dry in the finish.

I caveat this with the fact that I'm sick today and my sense of taste and smell might have been altered a bit yesterday.

#46 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

Schwanz, have you considered making your own syrup? I know the guys at Transmitter do this a lot for a couple reasons. The first is they made it, so there's that. But also as you mentioned, that stuff is pretty expensive. Just a thought.

#47 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

Schwanz, have you considered making your own syrup? I know the guys at Transmitter do this a lot for a couple reasons. The first is they made it, so there's that. But also as you mentioned, that stuff is pretty expensive. Just a thought.

Considered? Not really. I wouldn't know where to start. I could research it and I might try that, but for now it's not a big deal.

#48 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

I have tasted many homemade syrups and none have ever come close to the commercial versions.

#49 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

It's not a deal breaker. Like I said, it's an extra $0.15/pint.

#50 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Well, my understanding is they take cane sugar, add invertase (I think) and/or maybe citric acid and cook it all and caramelize the sugars. Idk, maybe it won't end up saving you enough money as opposed to the time it takes to do.

$0.15 a pint may be not terrible. I do like the stuff. I've used it for years.

#51 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16635 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

The Candisyrup D-180 I just put in my holiday saison tasted very rich and unique. Great flavors that I hope come through nicely in the final beer.

#52 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

I spent 3 days at St. Bernardus last year.  I can 100% tell you that they do not use Candy Sugar or Syrup in their beers.

#53 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

I spent 3 days at St. Bernardus last year. I can 100% tell you that they do not use Candy Sugar or Syrup in their beers.

That's basically what I have heard as well. Plain white sugar. Long boil time maybe?

#54 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

Well, my understanding is they take cane sugar, add invertase (I think) and/or maybe citric acid and cook it all and caramelize the sugars. Idk, maybe it won't end up saving you enough money as opposed to the time it takes to do.

$0.15 a pint may be not terrible. I do like the stuff. I've used it for years.

Yeah, but that won't get you anything like D-180.

#55 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

My understanding is that the classic producers just use white sugar. Why do we need to use syrup? I'm not arguing against the results, but isn't that what Stan wrote in BLAM? I use the syrup and like it, I've just never gotten to the bottom of all this

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

in my Belgian stuff I use sugar b/c I'm cheap and it's easy to acquire :D

#57 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

My understanding is that the classic producers just use white sugar. Why do we need to use syrup? I'm not arguing against the results, but isn't that what Stan wrote in BLAM? I use the syrup and like it, I've just never gotten to the bottom of all this

Sugar for sure in the lighter beer.  It adds no flavor.  But for the darker ones, it's syrup for the flavor enhancement.  Look at BLAM again.

Edited by denny, 09 December 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#58 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Yeah they talk about using something other than white sugar. I'm pretty sure it's a syrup.

#59 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Fellas, I'm resurrecting this topic because I'm designing a BDSA for my next batch, something that will be perfect for the Holidays. Anyone here further all the great comments and produce anything worth discussing?

For my batch, I have a sack of D-90 and I need another 12 ounces of sugar, which will likely be table. I also have some Extra Special Malt I'm going to conservatively add
https://www.brewingw...SpecialMalt.pdf

#60 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:35 PM

Ever use Special B instead of the ESM?  Just wondering about relying on the D-90 to provide the all dark fruits, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users