20 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:36 AM

Seeing I never brewed one and it is getting to the time of year I enjoy a stout thought I would throw one together.  Let me know what you think and any glaring mistakes or omissions.

12242998_10154521299854657_5751201026585

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

doh!  facebook image.

can you cut and paste the text at all?  not sure what your image is of.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

i tried my best to post a google image just so you could see it.  I failed!

American Stout

OG - 1.071

IBU - 58

SRM - 48

11# - Two Row

2# - Munich

.75# - Chocolate

.75# - Crystal 60

.75# - Roasted Barley

.5# - Midnight Wheat

42g - Northern Brewer - 60

28g - Ahtanum - 10

1450 slurry from my APA

Edited by drez77, 18 November 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

5 gallons?

anyway, I might back off the RB (or roasted grains in general) a little bit.  Perhaps the C60 as well.  I've come to realize that roasted grains add a lot of unfermentables which for some reason I kind of forget about when I'm forming recipes.  Unless of course you are kind of looking for a highish FG.  I usually would shoot for something like 1.012 on something like this.

I might even replace a little bit of the base malt with sugar to make sure it dries out enough.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 18 November 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

I've never made one either. That said I don't think I would change a thing, it looks great. I have used 1450 twice recently on dark beers. I am drinking a Coffee Oatmeal Stout made with it right now that is luscious and creamy. I also pulled a sample of the BVIP yesterday and it too was wonderful. Really hoping the 1450 comes through for you.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

5 gallons?

anyway, I might back off the RB a little bit.  Perhaps the C60 as well.  I've come to realize that roasted grains add a lot of unfermentables which for some reason I kind of forget about when I'm forming recipes.  Unless of course you are kind of looking for a highish FG.  I usually would shoot for something like 1.012 on something like this.

I might even replace a little bit of the base malt with sugar to make sure it dries out enough.

Yeah I don't know how dry he wants it but I would lean toward mashing quite low on this one. My tastes would lean toward dropping the C60 back before dropping the RB but I am picking nits.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

Yeah I don't know how dry he wants it but I would lean toward mashing quite low on this one. My tastes would lean toward dropping the C60 back before dropping the RB but I am picking nits.

I sometimes don't like RB very much.  but yeah, any way of helping the beer dry out is the main thing.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

I was thinking of mashing around 152ish.  As I would like it to finish dry but have some body to it but i think I can accomplish that with the yeast and water.  I was up in the air with the RB amount and not sure what is right.  I think I have some black malt at home that I could add in also and that should not be as roasty.  Another option is to add in some pale chocolate or up the MW if I back down teh RB.  I am fine with any of those.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:25 AM

I was thinking of mashing around 152ish.  As I would like it to finish dry but have some body to it but i think I can accomplish that with the yeast and water.  I was up in the air with the RB amount and not sure what is right.  I think I have some black malt at home that I could add in also and that should not be as roasty.  Another option is to add in some pale chocolate or up the MW if I back down teh RB.  I am fine with any of those.

I just think that with the high OG you'll want to be careful with all of those non-base malts.

Would you typically put in 2.75 lbs of crystal in a beer?  From what I know of your beers, not likely.  I don't make a lot of stouts but I have often been left wondering why they didn't attenuate like I expected.  Then I realized that the roasted grains are bringing a lot of unfermentables to the party, kind of like crystal does.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

I just think that with the high OG you'll want to be careful with all of those non-base malts.

Would you typically put in 2.75 lbs of crystal in a beer?  From what I know of your beers, not likely.  I don't make a lot of stouts but I have often been left wondering why they didn't attenuate like I expected.  Then I realized that the roasted grains are bringing a lot of unfermentables to the party, kind of like crystal does.

Point taken.  75% attenuation gets me to around 1.018, I guess that would be OK but I was thinking lower in my head.  I now need to think about what I could tweak if I tweak something.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

Then I realized that the roasted grains are bringing a lot of unfermentables to the party, kind of like crystal does.

Agree, however find that they present as less sweet on my palette than crystals do.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

What about the Munch?  I wonder if I should just drop it and go with MO for the heavy lifting.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

Agree, however find that they present as less sweet on my palette than crystals do.

true - they don't have the caramel type flavor which at the very least gives extra perception of sweetness (which is what really matters anyway).

What about the Munch?  I wonder if I should just drop it and go with MO for the heavy lifting.

I think either way would be fine.  I suspect using MO would lend a richer overall feel to the beer.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:17 AM

true - they don't have the caramel type flavor which at the very least gives extra perception of sweetness (which is what really matters anyway).

I think either way would be fine.  I suspect using MO would lend a richer overall feel to the beer.

My thought is MO and then back the crystal down to .5?

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:20 AM

For reference it looks like Jamil's from BCS has base - chocolate - C4-0 and RB only

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

I think that would work out pretty well.  I pretty much always go for some kind of pale ale like malt for my stouts.  CMC pale ale, TF MO or TF GP.  I like them all.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

My water plan is

Cl- 86

Mg - 3

Na - 24

SO4 - 89

CL - 89

Bicarb - 103

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

My water plan is

Cl- 86

Mg - 3

Na - 24

SO4 - 89

CL - 89

Bicarb - 103

I like all of this. MO is usually what I use for stouts, the few that I make anyhow.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

I like all of this. MO is usually what I use for stouts, the few that I make anyhow.

It will be MO or this I have a feeling it will be a decision of what bin is closer at the time.

Northwest Pale Ale Malt

A slightly darker base malt than our Premium 2-Row, our Northwest Pale Ale Malt is produced with a kilning regimen based closely on traditional British Pale Ale malting practices. Emphasis on low protein barley to provide higher extract levels. Contributes a malty complexity to beer flavor and aroma. Excellent in American Pale Ales and American versions of British beer styles.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

It will be MO or this I have a feeling it will be a decision of what bin is closer at the time.

Northwest Pale Ale Malt
A slightly darker base malt than our Premium 2-Row, our Northwest Pale Ale Malt is produced with a kilning regimen based closely on traditional British Pale Ale malting practices. Emphasis on low protein barley to provide higher extract levels. Contributes a malty complexity to beer flavor and aroma. Excellent in American Pale Ales and American versions of British beer styles.

I see. I have not used that malt before. I have used Rahr Pale Ale and I like it quite a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users