#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations for strains? I'm also wondering about using this yeast to do hybrids of various lager styles. Anyone try this?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

I seem to remember recently someone having a really strong preference for either white labs or wyeast (can't remember which).  Consider this your free bump!

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

I seem to remember recently someone having a really strong preference for either white labs or wyeast (can't remember which).  Consider this your free bump!

I think 2565 has been mentioned as the preferred.  I have also seen that some of the start up yeast companies seem to have Kolsch strains that the big 2 do not have.  After my Germany trip I want to brew up some split batches and test out the various yeast but time is not my friend it seems.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16634 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

I think 2565 has been mentioned as the preferred.  I have also seen that some of the start up yeast companies seem to have Kolsch strains that the big 2 do not have.  After my Germany trip I want to brew up some split batches and test out the various yeast but time is not my friend it seems.

Did you ever use it in an APA?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

Did you ever use it in an APA?

NO, on the list ... one of these days!

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

2565 is THE kolsch yeast. Start it at 56 degree internal temp and after 5 days start ramping up 3 degrees per 12 hours until you get to 68.

If you don't get a pleasant slight pear ester in the nose and a moderately low pils sweetness with a dry finish you are doing it wrong and probably fermented too cold initially.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 19 November 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

If I go too cold to skip the skip the pear on purpose, say for a kolsch version of a dunkel or something, will the attenuation be affected?

#8 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

2565 is THE kolsch yeast. Start it at 56 degree internal temp and after 5 days start ramping up 3 degrees per 12 hours until you get to 68.

If you don't get a pleasant slight pear ester in the nose and a moderately low pils sweetness with a dry finish you are doing it wrong and probably fermented too cold initially.

Listen to this guy. His Kolsch is the schizz

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

Listen to this guy. His Kolsch is the schizz

I still have traditional Kolsch fresh in my memory so he needs to send me some for a taste test :)

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

I so need to acquire a temperature controlled fermenter setup......

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:21 AM

I so need to acquire a temperature controlled fermenter setup......

BrewPi!

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:24 AM

Here are some of the other strains I want to test out someday.  Each Kolsch had a slight difference and only one to me was malt bill derived. 

https://www.omegayea...folio=kolsch-ii

https://www.omegayea...ortfolio=kolsch

https://www.love2bre...21-p/lyec21.htm

https://www.gigayeas...ier-yeast-gy021

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:30 AM

BrewPi!

More so a need for a temperature controlled chamber rather than a swamp cooler ;)

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:33 AM

More so a need for a temperature controlled chamber rather than a swamp cooler ;)

You live in FL .. that is enough need :)

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

True that..........

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

I don't think attenuation will be affected if you go colder so long as you ramp up the temp after 50% attenuation so you give the yeast some more energy to do their thing. I wouldn't push it much lower than 54 though, it will make beer, but if you are a set it and forget it brewer it will take a long time to attenuate and I'd bet it will be under attenuated.

And yes, you'll get a much cleaner profile if you go below 56, but on a kolsch recipe it makes it uninteresting. You might as well make a lager at that point. That ester adds the complexity that makes it such a great beer. I think paired with the right hops you could make a killer APA with it. Only problem is flocculation of the yeast, you have to add finings to clear it or it takes forever to clear. Adjust your dry hopping as necessary.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 20 November 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16634 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

I don't think attenuation will be affected if you go colder so long as you ramp up the temp after a few days. I wouldn't push it much past 54 though.

And yes, you'll get a much cleaner profile if you go below 56, but on a kolsch recipe it makes it uninteresting. You might as well make a lager at that point. That ester adds the complexity that makes it such a great beer. I think paired with the right hops you could make a killer APA with it. Only problem is flocculation of the yeast, you have to add finings to clear it or it takes forever to clear. Adjust your dry hopping as necessary.

Or just drink it cloudy and uber fresh knowing the non-flocculating yeast won't strip out the dry hoppy goodness.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

Or just drink it cloudy and uber fresh knowing the non-flocculating yeast won't strip out the dry hoppy goodness.

True, but it will eventually fall out and it will take all the good hops with it. Plus I'm not a fan of the yeasty flavor from kolsch and alt. It messes with the malt and make the flavor muddy, and the texture is bad.

If you waited to dry hop after the yeast floccs from fining that would be the way I'd do it.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16634 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

It probably could be good either way. As an APA it would be gone before too long.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

I think paired with the right hops you could make a killer APA with it. Only problem is flocculation of the yeast, you have to add finings to clear it or it takes forever to clear. Adjust your dry hopping as necessary.

Oh look :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users