#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19046 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

Going to put in for a new grain mill for Christmas to up my brewing game. I still use my original Corona mill, which works OK (no astringency), but it needs constant adjustment and I have trouble getting efficiency above 70% without risking a stuck sparge. Plus I can pass my corona mill on to a friend who's trying to get started with all grain.

Anyway, poking around, seems like there are plenty of good ones to pick from these days, but the crowd favorite seems to be the Monster mills. Any opinions or reasons I should consider one over the other?

Edited by porter, 23 November 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

Going to put in for a new grain mill for Christmas to up my brewing game. I still use my original Corona mill, which works OK (no astringency), but it needs constant adjustment and I have trouble getting efficiency above 70% without risking a stuck sparge.

Anyway, poking around, seems like there are plenty of good ones to pick from these days, but the crowd favorite seems to be the Monster mills. Any opinions or reasons I should consider one over the other?

I am sure there are other good mills out there but I have a Monster MM-2. Couldn't be more happy with it. Good customer service too. Easy to put together, easy to take apart, easy to clean.

#3 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19046 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

Yes, I'd definitely go with the MM-2 with Monster, or similar entry-level from another manufacturer. I live in a dry climate, so SS is unnecessary as well. When I settle in, I brew about every 4-6 weeks, so shouldn't be a problem with that lasting me 10+ years. I have read that perhaps the hopper that comes with the Monster mills isn't the greatest. I know I could make my own, but if I can buy a good one pre-made, even better.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

I was looking at the MM-3 lately.  Then my wife dropped her phone and the money for a new mill went bye bye.

#5 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19046 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

Do you have any experience brewing with grist from a 3-roller vs 2-roller mill? Any real-world difference, or mainly just cool?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Do you have any experience brewing with grist from a 3-roller vs 2-roller mill? Any real-world difference, or mainly just cool?

No but it seemed like a good next step.  I have a JSP maltmill now that I have had some issues with and have drooled over a 3 roller for a while.  If someone chimes in with a reason why 3 rollers are not needed I will just accept defeat and go back to something like the MM-2.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

I have read that perhaps the hopper that comes with the Monster mills isn't the greatest. 

I have no idea why someone wouldn't like the hopper. Sounds like you are making 10 gallon batches so I guess you could want more capacity. The standard hopper will take 11# of grain but I have found I can get at least 12# in it. Did you see they have a hopper extension too that takes it up to 39# capacity? Looks unwieldy but if your mill will never move anywhere that won't matter.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

Hoppers are easy to make. Three rollers does a good job with consistency since the first is a precrush. 

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

I have this mill and really like it. No complaints after a few years with it.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

Bought this mill about 7 years ago. https://www.barleycrusher.com/ It comes ready to go. 2 rollers and 7lb hopper for me, you can use the hand crank or hook it directly to a drill. It does a great job

Edited by ncbeerbrewer, 23 November 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

Bought this mill about 7 years ago. https://www.barleycrusher.com/ It comes ready to go. 2 rollers and 7lb hopper for me, you can use the hand crank or hook it directly to a drill. It does a great job

same one here.  no problems yet.  I have heard of people having problems with the rollers not biting into the grain (so no grain feeds through) but that's only happened to me a couple of times.  likely a touch of grain conditioning would solve this problem.  I do keep my grain in pretty dry conditions so I doubt it takes on much moisture.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

I have the Monster MM-3, it's awesome.  I can tell you my crush is way better than I've seen from any LHBS I've used.  The third roller is there to further separate the endosperm from the husk, which it does beautifully.  I'll see if I can get a pic when I brew again in a few days.  There are tons of nice whole husks in there that are for the most part completely separated from the starchy part of the grain.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:30 AM

I have the Monster MM-3, it's awesome.  I can tell you my crush is way better than I've seen from any LHBS I've used.  The third roller is there to further separate the endosperm from the husk, which it does beautifully.  I'll see if I can get a pic when I brew again in a few days.  There are tons of nice whole husks in there that are for the most part completely separated from the starchy part of the grain.

how much do those run you now?  I'm not looking to replace my BC or anything but it's always good to know in case it breaks.

#14 mikesarney

mikesarney

Advanced Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBridgeville, PA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

Anyone have the Cereal Killer from AIH https://www.homebrew...ill_p_2310.html ?  I'm in the same boat as Porter, with my old Corona and ~72% efficiency.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:38 AM

how much do those run you now?  I'm not looking to replace my BC or anything but it's always good to know in case it breaks.

start at 189

https://www.monsterb...pc/MM-3-p86.htm

Then this just pops into my e-mail

https://www.rebelbre...ing/grain-mills

Barley Crusher 7# version for 100 and 15# for 124

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:50 AM

yeah - my cheap side might have a hard time with that.  I'd really have to get some satisfaction out of using that mill :lol:

I'd also probably want to set up a permanent milling station for it.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

yeah - my cheap side might have a hard time with that.  I'd really have to get some satisfaction out of using that mill :lol:

I'd also probably want to set up a permanent milling station for it.

I have a motor driven milling station and it is nice.  I need to finish some work I did to my mill tonight and re-adjust the gap and get milling.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:01 AM

If you have a mill that works I wouldn't buy it, but if yours craps out in some way I'd consider it.  One nice thing with the 3-roll mill is that the mill gap doesn't matter nearly as much.  The fixed gap cracks the grain and the adjustable gap mostly separates the husk from the starch.  I tried a few different gaps when I got it and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Also, $189 isn't a bad deal.  That's what I paid for mine when I bought it nearly 10 years ago.  I'm surprised the price hasn't gone up.

I definitely want to do a dedicated milling station.  I have everything to do it, but I just haven't got around to putting it together.

Then this just pops into my e-mail

https://www.rebelbre...ing/grain-mills

Barley Crusher 7# version for 100 and 15# for 124

$25 premium for a hopper extension that uses about about $1.50 in sheet metal?  Ummmm...

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

I just refill the hopper a few times.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

Anyone have the Cereal Killer from AIH https://www.homebrew...ill_p_2310.html ?  I'm in the same boat as Porter, with my old Corona and ~72% efficiency.

What is the customer feedback on the ball bearing rollers?  IMO that would create problems in the long run compared to the brass bushings.  The bearings will eventually gum up with grain dust, especially if they are unsealed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users