chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

https://www.decaturi...d-for-oakhurst/

Here's what I've been working on this year.  I am literally building a brewery from scratch.  The existing building isn't large enough to house both the restaurant and the brewery.  So we are pouring concrete outside and erecting a metal butler building to house the brewery.  I've designed everything.  From choosing the equipment, to what the concrete mix should be, how thick to pour it, what slope, how to seal it, where the walls go, where the doors go and how big they need to be, how strong the structural supports need to be to hold my steam and glycol piping... the list goes on & on.  I feel like I've placed every subatomic particle in this brewery.

Many people on this forum were my first mentors in brewing, helping me to find my way as a homebrewer when I first started brewing in college housing and the forum had a different color.  This is now the third start up brewery for which I've been the Brewmaster or Head Brewer, and I wouldn't have gotten this far if weren't for the passion inspired in part by y'all.  So thanks for your help, and stop by for a beer once we're open if you're ever in Atlanta.

Cheers,

Chuck

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Cool - glad to get the update.

:cheers:  

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:07 PM

No doubt. This is the group of homebrewers that got me going. I've moved around so much this has always been my homebrew club. I wouldn't have been as successful a homebrewer without the advice i got here, or have gone to brew school without the same advice from some folks here who went before me.

I still remember the moment I realized I was a brewer: drinking a St. Alan's Wee Heavy I discovered that not only was beer far more than I had ever imagined, I also had such pride in the fact that I had made it myself. It was my second batch. I've come a long way from using extract recipe kits, my housemate's 2.5 gallon chili pot as a kettle and sleeping next my fermentor, but I still like to check in here. This is my roots as brewer. I probably won't recognize most of you if/when you visit Oak Brewpub. But if you let someone know to get me, say you're from the Brews Bros and I'll come share a pint if I can step away from the brewery, and give you a little tour of the space I'm building.

It really is great to have full control over every little detail like this. While it's more work, and I've had to come up with specifications that nobody I know who has built a brewery ever did, everything is going to be set exactly how I want it, within the constraints I had to work.

I've got a 7 bbl 2-vessel steam powered brewhouse manufactured by Craftwerk in Michigan. Four 7 bbl and four 15 bbl FVs, and one bright tank of each size. Because of the layout of the restaurant, serving tanks weren't practical, so I'll be kegging our beers. My boss is the owner and chef. He wants an ever rotating selection of beers, so there will always be something new on tap.

That spread of FVs gives me an opportunity to do lots of recipe development. We'll probably end up having 2 or 3 flagships that are almost always available. In addition to classic styles like kölsch and oatmeal stout, I plan on experimenting with stuff like hot side souring, and brewing beers specifically designed to pair with Dan's ever-changing food menu. I'll use whatever weird ingredients he's playing with in the brewery as well. He is going to be doing charcuterie, and if I can find a little space I plan on picking up a few barrels to age beer as well. So really, no limits or boundaries other than Georgia's antiquated 14% ABV maximum alcohol content.

I'm super pumped for this project. I've got total control of the beer with a boss that respects that, and he has success in the restaurant business. It's going to be a blast, and I hope y'all will be able to stop in and say hey whenever you visit Atlanta starting next Summer.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

Cheers chuck_d. We can always say "we knew you when"! Good luck with the new project and I *MAY* just come see you... I have 2 sisters and 5 nieces and nephews around Atlanta!

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

Chuck this sounds like a great situation for you. Im a short timer here but very good of you to come back here and recognize the folks who helped get you started. Best of luck.

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:04 AM

Sounds like fun, good luck with everything! Will look you up if I'm in Atlanta.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

:frank:  :frank:  :frank:

#8 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14165 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:52 AM

Awesome and good luck for sure!! Keep us posted as things move along. :cheers:

Edited by DieselGopher, 18 December 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#9 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

Congrats and keep us in the loop.  The missus and I stop in Atlanta on the way up to the mountains a couple of times a year.  Love to taste your work.

#10 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

:frank:   See you soon!

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

Congrats, chuck!  I always remember the convos we used to have back in the day on the green board.  It's cool to see you making a success of brewing as a career.  Best of luck with the new venture!

(PS I still haven't figured out your brewing spreadsheet.  ;) )

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

Congrats, chuck!  I always remember the convos we used to have back in the day on the green board.  It's cool to see you making a success of brewing as a career.  Best of luck with the new venture!

I downloaded the spreadsheet again today and it made my head spin.  Lots of work went into that I am sure.

Oh chuck_d.  Change your location and good luck.  Post some pictures of the space and equipment once it starts getting installed.

#13 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

:frank:

#14 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

I may be down in Atlanta this spring as a good friend just moved there so I'll definitely swing in for a pint or 3 when I head south.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

Congrats chuck! I'm in basically the same situation here, and I fully agree that this group has been a huge part of it. I've got a used 15 bbl DME system (not DME as in extract ;) people ask, idk). 5 15 bbl fermenters, 2 15 bbl BBTs, 5 15 bbl serving tanks. We are in construction right now, can't wait to get it underway

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

Congrats!! Living the dream baby!! If I get back over to the ATL sometime I will be sure to stop in!! 

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

I live in Atlanta, I didn't know you were part of Orpheus!

I am a member of the brewclub based out in Snellville, New london Brew club.

The church I am a part of has a parish in oakhurst, so I may try to stop by some time when you are open!

#18 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and congratulations.  There was a lull there for a minute, but it's about to get hectic.

Hah, I think it's fair to say there is something of a learning curve with that spreadsheet.  If you have any specific questions, you can PM me.  Or post a thread for the public and PM me a link.  I'll make sure to check in here every so often and address any questions y'all have.

I downloaded the spreadsheet again today and it made my head spin.  Lots of work went into that I am sure.

Oh chuck_d.  Change your location and good luck.  Post some pictures of the space and equipment once it starts getting installed.

Wow, thanks for that reminder!  I thought it was "Harlem" like on the other board.  Location officially: Atlanta, GA.  I am buying a new camera and a couple new lenses this weekend.  A Sony A7RII, full frame back-side illuminated 42 megapixel sensor.  Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 & 11-24mm f/4 lenses.  And I plan on documenting the full demo & built-out.  I will try to create some sort of "Brewmaster's Blog" on our site and be sure to link you guys so you can follow along.  

In the meantime, I will posting some images to Instagram.  I have the same handle on Twitter, Instagram & Untappd: @craftbrewmaster (how I was able to get that handle still amazes me).

Congrats chuck! I'm in basically the same situation here, and I fully agree that this group has been a huge part of it. I've got a used 15 bbl DME system (not DME as in extract ;) people ask, idk). 5 15 bbl fermenters, 2 15 bbl BBTs, 5 15 bbl serving tanks. We are in construction right now, can't wait to get it underway

Our Premier tanks have shipped.  They will be arriving Feb 22.  But... we still have to build the brewery, so trying to figure out a storage solution in the meantime.  That would be the one thing that finished on time.  :cussing:  :frantic:  :banghead: 

Oh, and I totally had that thought the first time I heard DME.  "They're brewing with DME..."  Say what?  I didn't think any professional brewers used that stuff.

I live in Atlanta, I didn't know you were part of Orpheus!

I am a member of the brewclub based out in Snellville, New london Brew club.

The church I am a part of has a parish in oakhurst, so I may try to stop by some time when you are open!

That you say parish makes me think it's a Catholic church, and not the church that is literally next door to our brewpub... Trinity Anglican Mission shares the same building.

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

It is Trinity Anglican Mission. The original location is called the westside location, and the eastside location that we are talking about is the parish location (still one church, but in two locations now).

If you face the building, will you be immediately to the left of the church spot? To the right is a Family dollar. It would be fun to go to Church, then go to your location afterwards!

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

It is Trinity Anglican Mission. The original location is called the westside location, and the eastside location that we are talking about is the parish location (still one church, but in two locations now).

If you face the building, will you be immediately to the left of the church spot? To the right is a Family dollar. It would be fun to go to Church, then go to your location afterwards!

To the left when facing the building from the parking lot, not the Family Dollar unit but the unit that used to be another bar that closed like 8 years ago.  I think Family Dollar is moving out, though something that's pretty much the same thing is moving in.  Come on over after service!  Bring your friends and family, we are definitely making the place a family friendly venue.  On the outdoor seating area there will be a projector screen opposite the brewery windows (you can see inside the brewing plant from the outdoor deck).

We will be putting a little facade on the front that creates a unique look from the parking lot.  You can enter the patio space either by walking down the sidewalk from church, or the parking lot.  We won't be using the front doors that currently exist on the unit.  You can enter through a side door from the patio or outdoor deck space.  That side parking lot is becoming the deck space.  The existing outdoor wall will have an indoor/outdoor bar, so you can sit at the bar from inside the restaurant or outside on the deck.  The projector screen is going to be on the back wall of the patio facing into the deck space.  Speakers will be on the tables so people can choose whether to listen or not (families have control over what their kids here, patrons can prioritize conversation over the movie, etc.).  At the end of the deck space (formerly side parking lot) will be a new building we are erecting to house the brewing plant.  As I said in the OP, I have literally designed this from scratch.  Windows will let you look into the brewhouse which will be installed right up against that front wall of the brewery.  The bathrooms are being expanded & redone, the kitchen is being expanded.  The interior is being completely rebuilt, gut renovation style.  There will be a game room area with table top shuffle board, some arcade games and bench seating  & tables to put your drinks and food down.  It's going to be an amazing space!  The architects really made a beautiful design. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users